Wednesday, February 25

Idiot Box

Oh, happy day. Things finally seem to be falling into place here on said web page. The images work, the comments are enabled again, and my Angelfire account has yet to be suspended. If any of these things should happen again, be patient and check back later. I'm only a man.

I got a lot of errands done today, and for a good reason. As you see I, Ryan Olson, lover of all things television, have decided to wean myself off of daytime TV. Sure, it seems easy. But television is a way of life for me. It's always on, not for entertainment and my constant attention, but for company. This has gotten out of hand, so I decided that from the time I woke up every day (usually between 7 and 9am) until Jeopardy comes on at 4:30, I will refuse to turn on the television. This is a grand total of about 8 hours less TV than I watch each day. This is a huge undertaking for me, and as with most things I refrain from, I'm doing it just to see if I can.

I gave up meat 2 years ago. I gave up caffeine 3 years ago. Neither of those things I thought I would get through, as they were huge parts of my life. I would hit the caffeine harder than most people would do any illegal drugs, and there would be weeks where I would eat nothing but meat, as my arteries and heart just looked at each other and shook their heads in disbelief. Giving up those 2 things was difficult to say the least. Meat was easier because I had Celia, who was already a vegetarian, to kick me in the ass when I stumbled. Caffeine was much harder. I would shiver like I had hypothermia, my knees and joints would ache and atrophy, and I wouldn't be able to hold anything steady for any length of time. But eventually, it didn't bother me anymore, and I never looked back. Now I'm telling the TV to go straight to hell, at least until prime time. I'll let you know how I'm doing as the days roll on. So far, day 2 has been just fine. I'm fixing things around the house, I called MMI to find out where the hell my diploma was, and I made a much-needed doctor's appointment for this searing pain in my stomach. I'm pretty certain it's an ulcer considering the stress I've been under. (Yeah, make the jokes about an unemployed white male being under stress. I can take it.)

<< Home