Thursday, May 26

E=MC Hammer.

I was almost killed on the way to work today. Allow me to set the scene.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, not quite, but scary nonetheless.

I was approaching an intersection, and I had a green light. Less than a half-second before I crossed the intersection, a large, white Escalade completely ran the red light at about 45mph. He ran the light from my left to right, meaning that had I left for work 1 second earlier, he would have perfectly T-boned my car on the driver's side, hopefully killing me instantly. It's one of the closest times I've been in a huge automobile accident, minus all those minor accidents I've had since 1998.

I've been trying to shake off lingering death all day. It was really something, believe me. Not only that, but when the Escalade whizzed by me, the driver clearly had both of his hands off the wheel. Had he not murdered or paralyzed me, I would have crawled out of the wreckage and killed him myself.

Moving on, I was forced to attend a training seminar today concerning a state agency-wide e-mail consolidation/migration program. Basically, it involves a new Oracle-based server that will enable users to jrewi ewj 3240 jijjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Excuse me, I just passed out for a second there. It was a complete waste of my time, and most of it went completely over my head. On the positive side, during a break between seminars, I got to experience what it sounds like when 15 people eat apples simultaneously in a silent conference room. I've never heard anything like it before, and it was really hilarious. Whatever you imagine it sounding like, I promise you that it's funnier in real life.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's a couple mixtapes for you to enjoy, courtesy of your friends at the cdp:

Rainy Day Mix
Submitted By: Aaron
Compiled By: The CDP


#1 - Longwave – “Wake Me When It’s Over” – The Strangest Things
#2 - The Postal Service – “Sleeping In” – Give Up
#3 - Ben Folds Five – “Don’t Change Your Plans” – The Unauthorized Autobiography Of Reinhold Messner
#4 - Polysics – “Black Out, Fall Out” – Neu!
#5 - Jawbreaker – “Accident Prone” – Dear You
#6 - Minus The Bear – “Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!” – Highly Refined Pirates
#7 - Beck – “Jackass” – Odelay
#8 - Modest Mouse – “Ocean Breathes Salty” – Good News For People Who Love Bad News
#9 - Travis – “Why Does It Always Rain On Me?” – The Man Who
#10 - Death Cab For Cutie – “A Lack Of Color” – Transatlanticism
#11 - The Smiths – “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” – The Queen Is Dead

(As a side note, my favorite non-mix album for rainy days is "I'm Sorry I'm Leaving", By Saves The Day.)

Post-Snowstorm Sunrise Mix
Submitted By: Aaron
Compiled By: The CDP


#1 - The Arcade Fire – “Wake Up” – Funeral
#2 - Big Big Furnace – “A Midwestern Winter” – Soundtrack To A Midwestern Winter
#3 - Communique – “Evaporate” – Poison Arrows
#4 - Bright Eyes – “If Winter Ends” – Letting Off The Happiness
#5 - Ted Leo – “Under The Hedge” – The Tyranny Of Distance
#6 - Of Montreal – “So Begins Our Alabee”- The Sunlandic Twins
#7 - Counting Crows – “Round Here” – August And Everything After
#8 - Snow Patrol – “How To Be Dead” – Final Straw
#9 - The Promise Ring – “Become One Anything One Time” – Wood/Water
#10 - Weezer – “Holiday” – Weezer
#11 - Bright Eyes – “First Day Of My Life” – I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning

(As another side note, my favorite non-mix album for post-snowstorm sunrises is "Soundtrack To A Midwestern Winter", By Big Big Furnace.)

So, there you go. I'm working on another mixtape that will be posted the next time we chat with each other. Keep the ideas coming, and e-mail me at communistdance@yahoo.com!

You already know what I'm doing this weekend. Expect a lot of pictures of me interacting with the little Swiss community. A special thanks for making this month the biggest month yet here at the CDP. We had a record-breaking 2,200 hits this month, bringing our grand total to almost 20,000. Thanks for coming, I'm an egotistical basket case.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Comments:
those songs actually represent the topics very well. I'd skip the lisping Promise Ring and a few others, but those would be pretty good tapes if they did exist.
 
I think we need a Near-Death Experience mix.
 
See, I know what I'm doing. I put a lot of thought into these!

I'll start working on the "Near-Death Experience Mix" ASAP. That should be a good one, actually.

Me and the Missus watched a few episodes of Pete and Pete last night, and they held up surprisingly well 12 or so years later.
 
But not as well as Polaris!!! Those guys still rock!
 
E=MC Hammer...where did you get that from?

A band called the Red Light Sting has that as the title on their website...been that way since I heard of them years ago. Coincidentally, I listened to them on my way to work today...Good stuff.

So yeah, I'm curious to know if you just came up with that yourself or if you ripped it off from someplace else.
 
You gotta love Polaris/Miracle Legion. They have some pretty good tracks.

To answer your question Aaron, I sort of made it up AND ripped it off. I mean, I thought that I made it up, but then found out that a band existed of the same name. From Wisconsin, no less.

That being said, I've been to that Red Light Sting page, and their little "spider" navigator scares the crap outta me.
 
Aaron, whaddya think of the mixtapes, yo?
 
The tapes look decent...mine would have been different, but we have different CD collections, so yeah.

The specific songs by Minus the Bear, Death Cab For Cutie and The Smiths would have been on my tape as well. Also something from Ben Folds and the Postal Service would have showed up.

A few that I was planning on inluding on my version were Ryan Adams "Political Scientist" (that whole album, "Love is Hell," could be the best rainy day album ever), +/- "No One Sees You Like I Do," and Koufax "Moving Out, Moving On." I didn't get to far with my list since I can't actually make a tape and that really bummed me out.

I also slept through Salsa lessons last night. I was pretty upset about that. I was just going to take an hour and a half nap, 7:30-9, then get up and get ready...my alarm never went off...I woke up at 2:15 AM. Oops.

Luckily the girl I was meeting wasn't pissed at me (even luckier she didn't just stop at my house and kill me...it's on her way home..), and apparently we're going to Madison tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you said you were going to New Glarus tomorrow, but if for some reason you're around, call me. I'm not sure what's going on exactly, but there will probably be drinking involved in the later parts of the evening.
 
SALSA LESSONS?

Do you remember when we swing danced in gym class? You really were not enthusiastic about it :)
 
Yeah, but that was gym class. This was at a bar. Any sort of dancing is more fun when there's alcohol involved.
 
What about sober dancing, hmm?
 

Post a Comment

<< Home