Tuesday, May 24

I'm Your Only Friend, I'm Not Your Only Friend.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hey! It's been a few days, hasn't it? Well, you haven't missed all that much. Me and the Missus have been relaxing for the last 5 days, and we're looking forward to enjoying our 3-day weekend. On Saturday, we head back to New Glarus to indulge ourselves in all things Swiss. On Sunday, we head up to Green Bay to spend more quality time with Ben & Sherry. On Monday, we will no doubt be watching some parade coast down Main Street. I almost can't wait, and you'll get a full review and photos once the unbearable excitement finally quiets down.

Did you vote for Bo? You didn't? Well, screw you. Let the terrorists win, see if I care. One of the best decisions I've ever made was to shut down Boycott Unity for good, and focus more of my time on reality shows and girlie drinks. I traded my books and research for an IPod and a Game Boy Advance, and it has made all the difference. Once you join the quiet ranks of the status quo, nobody's telling you to shut up anymore. My brain is placid now, silently nursing the spinal fluid from the back of my neck. Soon I won't feel a thing. By the time the US invades Iran, I won't even realize that Jeb Bush was elected President.

Moving on to much more important things, I have a copy of The Adventures of Pete & Pete: Season One reserved for me at the local Best Buy. You have no idea how long I've waited for this groundbreaking show to be officially released, and if you're not familiar with it, you should. If you like Arrested Development, Freaks & Geeks, Angus, The Wonder Years and all things indie rock in the early 1990's, this show is vital to your existence. Still one of the greatest television shows of all time in my humble, television-loving opinion.

Secondly, I received this wonderful piece of Spam in my inbox some time ago. It's fantastic, and I wanted to share it with you. I haven't omitted or added anything to it. Enjoy!

Subject: Where did Ryan go?

In the middle of the night, I was walking by the sea, and baby baluga jumped out from amongst the bushes. SO one day Mr. Gregor exclaimed "Why do skater normals have no preppy either?!?!?!" So I wanted to watched. or Maybe if I wanted to watch it then I had a dream that countless historian lost their credit but i dont Remember what it was. I don't like you but can I have your autograph. No one wants your autograph so I started to cry in the pizza shop. Where did Ryan go? He must have moved to Ohio.

Remember, someone had to have typed that. I'm going to write a song based on that story someday, you can bet your ass.

Finally this evening, I have yet another idea to promote visitor participation with me. In the past, these ideas have really hit the ground hard. I tried the cartoon thing, nobody liked it. I wanted people to submit ideas to Boycott Unity, people didn't follow me over. Even the eyeball thing was like pulling teeth. So why do I continue to try to get you to play along with me? Beats me, maybe I like failure. Nevertheless, I have another idea to try to fill up my inbox.

Stealing an already existing idea from the fine people at Tiny Mix Tapes, I am offering my services as a Human Mixtape Generator!

The idea is simple. You e-mail me (communistdance@yahoo.com) an idea for a mixtape (or just post a comment). You give me the subject, the idea, the setting, whatever you want, and I'll shape a mixtape around it. I won't actually make the tape, I'll just post the track listing as a suggestion. If your looking for examples, go here. It'll be fun, I promise. In honor of our pal Andrew getting his car broken into and his CD's stolen, this first mixtape is dedicated to him, free of charge.

"Mixtape for having your car broken into, and all your CD's stolen."

#1 - "I am Downright Amazed at What I Can Destroy With Just a Hammer" By: Atom & His Package
#2 - "In the Backseat" By: The Arcade Fire
#3 - "Five State Drive" By: Less Than Jake
#4 - "Nothin" By: ALL
#5 - "Sick and Sad" By: Catch-22
#6 - "Boys Don't Cry" By: The Cure
#7 - "Title and Registration" By: Death Cab For Cutie
#8 - "What Happened to My Radio?" By: Buck-O-Nine
#9 - "Long Line Of Cars" By: Cake
#10 - "Blue Comb '78" By: Five Iron Frenzy
#11 - "Someday Driver" By: The Gadjits
#12 - "Take Our Cars Now!" By: Saves The Day
#13 - "Radio Radio" By: Elvis Costello
#14 - "My Car Makes Me Sin" By: Silage

There you go, hopefully more will be on the way. Have a good one.

Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I'm assuming you put "In the Backseat" on there as an anti-theft device? You surely couldn't have put it on there for being a quality song! Quality song it is not.
 
Most of the songs have clever, "car-related" titles, you see.

Don't judge my mixtape abilities based on this list. I threw it together at 10:30, wanting to get to bed as fast as I could. I just wanted to give an example.

I'm so tired.
 
There are far better car-related songs than that one! That's probably one of the worst car-related songs ever; if not THE worst. I demand you replace it with "Little Red Corvette" by Prince; that will round out your mixtape nicely. Or just pick up a tape by The Cars and call it a day.
 
It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, dear (I said I was tired). Most of these were just a play on the titles of the songs, anyways. I'm also ONLY using songs from my CD collection, so there are some rules here and-

You know what? Forget it.
 
Prince! Prince! Prince!
 
Making a good mixtape is a science. I'm pretty sure you can get a degree in mixtape-ology now.
 
It really is a science, and hopefully I'll be able to demonstrate my talents in the next few weeks. Pitch me an idea, Aaron!
 
"Rainy Day Music" is one I've been meaning to do. There are certain CDs that I lean towards on gloomy, rainy days that really set the mood. The types of songs that would end up on my list would be songs with an mood that is upbeat, yet depressing at the same time. In the wintertime, I wanted a tape for the sunny mornings right after a snowstorm...those days always have a similar vibe that fits well with certain songs.

I'll get my rainy day list together and I'll try to post it. Even better if I can make the tape before it rains next.

I wish I had a tape deck so I could make tapes again. Mine stopped working three or four months ago and I haven't gotten a new one yet. Soon, perhaps.
 
I totally understand the mood you're talking abooot. I'll work on the "Rainy Day Mix" along with the "Post Snowstorm Sunrise Mix", and we can compare what each of us came up with.
 
Road trip to exciting Toronto mix! I'm going to burst if we don't leave soon!
 
Fantastic! I'll add it to the list, and get working on it ASAP.
 
So all this talk of mixtapes got me thinking, and I ended up buying a little tape recorder so I could make a tape. Turns out it records at super low quality when you plug a CD player into the mic input. Oh well...worth a try.

But the first song on my rainy day tape was Ryan Adams "Political Scientist"...I gave up after I heard how terrible the recording transfered. I wish my CD burner still worked...

This weekend is my first full weekend completely off (and a three-day one, at that). Somebody better call me if something's going on. Seriously.

P.S. If anybody's up for Salsa dancing lessons tonight, let me know. 10pm. $10 all you can drink. It's going to be scandalous.
 
I think I'll have your mixtape(s) posted by the end of the day, then I'll start on Sherry's idea.

Me and the Missus will be busy this weekend, we're going back to New Glarus! I love little Switzerland!

If anything else comes up, though, I'll give you a jingle.
 
i almost fainted, someone else remembers The Adventures of Pete and Pete...
 
Honestly, one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time. Simply brilliant.

I've had a link in my sidebar for some time now. I'm going to start watching the Season 1 DVD tonight, and I can't wait. In fact, what the hell am I doing here?
 
How have I missed out on this Pete and Pete show? I'll have to check that out. Of course, you could tell me to check out Britney and Kevin:Chaotic! and if you told me it was sort of like Freaks and Geeks, I'd have to check that out, too.
 
You missed out on Pete and Pete because it was on Nickelodeon in the early 90's, and you probably weren't that regular of a Nick viewer. It was really ahead of its' time, and the storylines sort of fell flat with the younger audience.

It's essentially a kid's show, but it transcends that with inside jokes and things that only parents and adults would get. Really good stuff, good music, and a nice, nostalgic look at the early 90's.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home