Wednesday, May 11

Motivationizal Seminizar.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



(My hair is at least this long right now, if not longer.)

The house is spotless, the bills are all paid, the cats have been properly nourished and the Missus is sleeping soundly. Why is it that when life is at its most perfect and stable, it is also at its most boring?

I'm certainly not one of those people that craves trauma and emergency. There's nothing that makes me happier than wasting away an entire evening in front of the television with the Missus. Any happiness that I once took in making things difficult has long escaped my stranglehold of failure. Every now and then, however, I feel like I want to throw a chair through my patio door just to clean up the broken glass.

I should cherish these moments. 90% of the time, there's something wrong with something. It doesn't matter if it's money, the car, work, anything. Most of your life you spend fixing something that's broken. You should enjoy the moments of peace when they are handed to you, but they're usually taken for granted. I'm not trying to make any point here, just an observation about what it takes to be happy.

I've learned to accept that happiness comes in small packages. Happiness isn't a lifestyle. Happiness isn't a long and wonderful marriage or friendship. Happiness isn't found in a self-help book or seminar. Happiness is making five green lights and a yellow on your way to work. Happiness is petting two cats at the same time. Happiness is a cookie. Somewhere along the way, I changed my perception of what it took to make me happy, and it's really made a difference. Sure, I'm still an ass, and I more or less want everyone to stop bothering me, but it's way better than it used to be.

For therapeutic purposes, here are three things that made me happy today:

1. I took a 110-minute lunch at work, and nobody noticed.
2. Anthony Federov is going home.
3. I went to a baby shower today, and hearing all the middle-aged women talk about marriage made me really appreciate my wife all the more.

(As a bonus, the baby shower was on work time, so I technically got paid to go to it. I also make a point to go to the bathroom right before I leave work, so I get paid to do that, too.)

Allow me to take you by the hand, and lead you into the comments section. Now tell me, what makes you happy? (Don't say "the CDP", because I already know. Man, I wish I was as hot as my Avatar look-alike.)

Comments:
Things that make me happy are:

1.4:30 PM at the TOC.
2.A day that my office mate is off.
3.Talking on the phone with someone
without being interrupted by
someone else in the room.
4.Finding money in a pants pocket
that I didn't know was there.
5.My daughter moving back home.

There is more but I will spare you.
 
I guess a good marriage isn't anything to me either than, ya poop!

Alissa is moving back home???
 
A marriage is a lifelong bond that shapes and (hopefully) makes your life better and worth living. If we went around telling everyone that we were happy with each other 24 hours a day, and that each second together is better than the one before it, that would just be a lie (and we would sound loony). A marriage is WAY cooler and more important than the concept of happiness, so I don't find it comparable (and that's a good thing).

Alissa's moving back home? I'll give you a call tonight, yo.
 
Things in the near future that make me happy:

1) My last day at Dan's Country Stop (5 shifts left).

2) Graduating college (project nearly completed).

3) Finally having some free time.

I think I might need to have a party in the next few weeks...A lot of big things are happening here.
 
Let us know when, and we'll be there. Provided that there's Scrabble.

Congrats on graduating & quitting Dans. That's fantastic!
 
Things that make me happy?

1. A giant sleeve of starburst.
2. Having a band again.
3. 130 mph on my bike.
4. Watching a bunch of kids sleep in cardboard boxes in the park. Suckers.

Thing that don't make me happy?
Having to take a second job at Dan's so I have money.
 
things that will eventually make me happy.

1. Boss BR 1600 Portastudio
2. End of construction on E. Wash.
3. End of destruction on E. Wash
4. Olsen Twins overdose
5. Michael Jackson guilty verdict
6. Ashlee Simpsons next embarrasing moment
7. New season of football injuries
8. To steal one from my aunt, finding money in a pants pocket, it will happen again soon.
It's gong to be a great remainder of the year!
 
These are all good lists. If I can make it through the E. Washington construction all year without a crippling accident, the City of Madison should print me off some sort of certificate.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home