Saturday, May 28

Uderbraten.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Who says there's nothing to do in Wisconsin?

The CDP's 2nd Annual New Glarus Day went spectacularly well. Here is the day in pictures. It's a bit photo-intensive, so you may want to consider upgrading to a cable connection to fully enjoy your New Glarus CDP experience. If you would like to see what happened the last time we were there, this post should get you all caught up.

Our first stop was for mini-golf.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I won, but not by much. The goats that were roaming the grounds last year were sadly absent this time around. The sun broke free from the overcast clouds, and the warm breeze guided us straight to the world famous New Glarus Brewery.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Neither of us had ever been there before, so we decided to take an audio tour. They give you these telephone-looking things to take with you, along with a ceramic cow.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The brewery was ultra-modern, ultra-expensive, and quite beautiful.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Out of all the neat things they show you on the tour, the funniest thing that I saw was this note that someone left behind. I think it really says it all.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This was all I needed to see. I bought a 4-pack of Raspberry Tart Beer and headed for the door.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After all that looking, talking and hearing about beer, we needed a break. So we did some wine tasting at the Primrose Winery.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After about 9 sips, we both picked our favorite bottle, had them wrapped up and hit the streets again.

There are plenty of knick-knack shops for your spending pleasure that indulge in the Swiss lifestyle. One of these parts of the culture happens to be trolls. Frankly, they scare the holy hell out of me, but I guess some people find them culturally significant.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No thank you. On the other hand, I did see a 4-foot tall stein that was worth a little under a thousand dollars.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And who can forget this wonderful album from the old country?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Our next stop was the New Glarus Hotel, for the single largest consumption of cheese ever recorded for a human being. I must have downed nine pounds of cheese, weather it be from the assorted plate they give you, or from the grilled cheese sandwich that contained an entire brick of Swiss. I have yet to go to the bathroom, but it was pretty much worth it.

All in all, this trip to New Glarus was just as good as the first one. It should also be mentioned that I found an old-school metal Pac-Man lunchbox, so I would have been happy no matter what.

We're going to Green Bay tomorrow. When I come back, I'll have a new mixtape up along with more of the same. For now, I've got some local brew to consume.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Vaarwel!

Comments:
one day i shall have a highspeed connection, until then i click and wait... and wait... and wait. Tonight i will have nightmares from that damn troll. I hope you are able to drop some friends off at the pool soon. Your wife need not be subjected to telling people she lost her husband to over consumption of cheese... but wait you do live the the big W so really that should be like on the standard check list of how relatives have died right?
 
I was in the same boat as him as far as the cheese consumption goes. Quite frankly, there is no way I would rather die than stuffed to the brim with cheddar and brie.
 
Sorry about the troll. Now you're in the same boat as me.

I'm happy to report that my digestion has returned to normal...but for how long? The Missus is right, though. If I'm going to die, it's going to be full of some sort of delicious cheese-based treat.
 
Ok, so there are things to do in Wisconsin-just nothing worth while. Tinman
 
There's nothing to do that doesn't push the stereotype further.

"Welcome To Wisconsin: Cheese, Beer, Cows and Fireworks ahoy!"

To all of the out-of-staters, I SWEAR there's more to do here.

18 days until Toronto!
 

Post a Comment

<< Home