Friday, December 9

Lost Friday - "Rerun Edition Strikes Back."

Another Lost Friday is upon us. We have nothing to discuss.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Settle in and get comfy, nerdlingers, because Lost is going on a five week vacation. Where most of us with normal jobs can look forward to 8 or 10 days away from the office a year, usually spent eating dinner in your boxers and watching Happy Gilmore for the thousandth time, Lost gets to sleep in a plush bed and unplug the phone until January 11.

I'm not bitter. Nope. Good for them. They deserve it, in fact.

I just have one question.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF HOLY SWEET CRAP AM I GOING TO DO FOR 5 WEEKS!

Answer me, damn it! You tell me what I'm going to do to pass the time for a month and a week!

Knit? Play Trivial Pursuit with my friends? Watch the Packers lose EVERY SINGLE GAME for the REST OF THE SEASON? I've got nothing! Nobody! Absolutely-

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, Christmas is right around the corner, so that's pretty nice. I bet the networks will air A Christmas Story and It's A Wonderful Life a few times. Egg Nog is back in season, so that always perks up my day a skitch. Come to think of it, I'm glad that Lost is in rerun mode for the rest of the year. Screw you, Lost! I don't need you anymore!

You can keep your hatch and Mama Cass records! You can keep your Dharma Initiative and Alvar Hanso! You can take your sparking dialogue, character development, social commentary and intriguing flashbacks and CRAM 'EM STRAIGHT UP YOUR CHUTE! This guy's taking his life back, and he doesn't need you anymore!

At least until January 11. Then I'll be 3 inches from the TV screen with an unblinking pair of eyes.

If you don't already know, the word on the street is that Episode 10 will be titled "Psalm 23," and it will center around Mr. Eko. Certain flashbacks will take place on the island before the Flight 815 crash, but still no word about if Eko was on the island before the incident (aka, he wasn't on Flight 815).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The trailer for the next episode shows him smashing open Charlie's Mary statue with his boom stick, hinting more heavily that he has something to do with the Nigerian drug plane. Also, the title of the episode, along with the outfits of the drug plane pilots and Eko's knowledge and faith in religion, lead to the idea that he is indeed a man of the cloth. He's such an amazing character, here's hoping that his flashback recognizes the potential.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Moving on, we need to talk about Ana Lucia and Libby. With a cast as large as the one boasted by Lost, actors and actresses alike have to jockey for face time, lines and attention even more so than usual. Bringing in actors to play the tail-section survivors put them in a difficult situation, adding them to an already large and established cast. Will they be well-received by the public? Will they be on the show every week? What can they do to make sure they are accepted and welcomed into the masses?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, getting arrested for DUI doesn't really help, but it gets your face on the CDP, so that's always good. Here's to you, Ana & Libby! Think before you drink, especially in Hawaii. I heard that it's a small island, so it's pretty hard to evade police when you're tipsy. Also, it's best to not cry for an hour before getting your mugshot taken; makes you look like you're a criminal.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

ABC should really consider auctioning off some Lost props on Ebay or something. Lonely people with lots of time on their hands and an expendable income (like myself) would pay top dollar for a jar of Dharma-issued peanut butter or a Swan-logo jumpsuit. My Mystery Science Theater 3000 and video game memorabilia alone is enough to clutter the second floor of the CDP headquarters, and they're always looking for more friends to gobble up space.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've never owned or worn a shirt that advertises a television show before, because I always thought it was sad or depressing. I never had a problem with band shirts, or even movie shirts for that matter, so why was I so hung up on TV shirts? Whenever I saw someone walking around with a promotional Evening Shade shirt on, I would always think to myself, "There's a guy (it's always a guy) who's out of clean shirts."

Now that we've passed the tacky 90's and into the retro 00's, pop-culture vintage is back in a huge way. People like me are finally getting the recognition they deserve for a lifelong commitment to inanimate objects that could never love me nearly as much as I love them. It feels good to know that I'm partly responsible for a fashion overhaul. Shirts that advertise classic TV are considered modern and funny in an ironic way, and I'm getting myself a Lost t-shirt.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the one I saw on Ebay that tickled my fancy. It comes in a small, it's not too gaudy or depressing, and the price is right ($400, no reserve). The people who understand the shirt will appreciate it, and those who don't will just think it's a German metal band that they've never heard of before. I don't see how I could possibly lose here, yet I feel like a loser.

Lost Friday will return next week with more insight into Episode 10. In the meantime, check out all of my previous Lost Friday write-ups. They are high in fiber, low in carbs and taste like marshmallows.

SEASON TWO - EPISODE 9 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 8 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 7 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 6 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 2
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 5 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 4 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 3 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 1 REVIEW
SEASON TWO PREVIEW

Comments:
"Losers" should be how we Lost fans refer to ourselves and other enthusiasts of the show, kind of our version of Trekkies. Actually, we should call Trekkies losers, too.
 
Here I am, thinking the CDP was a family friendly site, and I see, in big bold letters, the word "cr*p"! I'm shocked AND appalled! You can be assured the FCC will be hearing about this!
 
If they can say "crap" in cartoons, then it can be said on the CDP. I'll check with Standards and Practices, but I think that's still PG.

I'm down with the "losers" thing. I can't stand the term "losties," and I have more experience being called a loser. I'll get on the horn and make some calls.

I've got work to do.
 
Losers.
 
It never stops hurting.
 
Still, so much better than Losties.
 
Yeah. Mystery Science Theater fans are called "Mysties," and that always annoyed me for some reason, particularily because I don't enjoy mist or Myst.
 
Fans of Teenage Fanclub are called "Fannies", that's pretty gay. Esp. considering that I thought "fanny" was an obscene word in britain.
 
Yeah, I learned that fanny thing on the BBC version of The Office. A guy was telling a woman who was going to vacation in the states to wear a bum bag instead of a purse, only they call call it a fanny pack. Because there a fanny means your bum, not your _____. (I can't remember what the word was).
 
Yeah, that's sort of funny, because "Fanny" is an obscene slang term in the UK for Mommy parts.

When I was in the UK, one of our American chaperones was arguing with his wife, and she told him to kiss her fanny. Every tour guide in the bus, including the bus driver himself, perked up.

That was the first of many UK mistranslations.
 
"Bum bag." That's funny.
 
Is that shirt really 400 dollars?
 
Of course not. It's much more expensive, I just didn't want you to get mad at me.

(I told you last night it was a cool $20. Good deal.)
 
Man, I'm such a bum bag.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home