Tuesday, December 13

Top 20 Albums Of 2005 - Part 1 Of 4.

Well, here we finally go with the CDP's list of the top 20 albums of 2005. I've broken up the list into four parts that will go up through the end of the week (cleverly interrupted by yet another Lost Friday). You'll like some of these. Others will infuriate you. I can accept that.

2005 was a mixed year for albums, to say the least. For every one good album I purchased, 5 or 6 more were instantly alphabetized and never again returned to car rotation. It was such a bipolar year that a few of the albums on my top 20 list are already collecting dust on the shelf. Here's hoping that 2006 will be better, but at the same time, here's to the truly great albums that shone through the poop like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Let's go.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com #20 - Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff

Stockholm, Sweden's very own Shout Out Louds gained minor international exposure with the release of Howl Howl Gaff Gaff, a Strokes-with-emotion rock record that boasted twee lyrics, tinny guitars and love-gone-wrong lyrics (what a sentence!). Thanks in part to their video for "The Comeback," Shout Out Louds broke slightly free from the pack of similar sounding groups to release a decent enough album to hit #20 on the list.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com #19 - Hot Hot Heat - Elevator

Most people forget that Canada's Hot Hot Heat were partly responsible for the new-new wave movement of the last few years. Their Sub Pop release of Make Up The Breakdown was a throwback before throwbacks went mainstream. Elevator picks right up where Breakdown left off, with anthemic choruses, Costello-esque guitar work and hiccuping vocals that allow you suspend indie disbelief and enjoy the melody for the time being.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com #18 - Public Enemy - Power To The People & The Beats: Greatest Hits

Still the most hardcore and influential hip hop outfit of all time, Public Enemy is still as relavent and important as ever. Chuck D's Marv Albert delivery and Flava Flav's erratic bridges are still causing most modern acts to play catch-up. Add in the masterful DJ work of Terminator X, and you get a compilation of the most groundbreaking and politically-charged rap ever. Power To The People & The Beats is hip hop for people that thought hip hop was dead.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com #17 - Beck - Guero

You can't keep a good Beck down. After a few critically-acclaimed but audience-panned releases (what Beck album isn't critically acclaimed?), Beck went back to the formula that made Odelay so brilliant, and set it back in motion for Guero. Blending folk, country, hip hop and non-sensical wordplay, Beck still has it, and we're always waiting to see what he will come up with next.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com #16 - Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman

Ben Folds is growing up. Weather or not this is a good thing as far as his musical talents are concerned has yet to be decided. Songs For Silverman turns Folds into more of a laid-back family man, instead of the foul-mouthed ball of fire we've seen on previous Ben Fold's Five releases. While certainly not the best album Folds has released, Silverman is the sound of maturity and acceptance, and he does a great job with it.

(NOTE: It should be mentioned that as I was typing this review, I mistakenly wrote "Dongs For Silverman." I'd like to have you think I never make a grammatical error, but in this case I really wanted to tell someone.)

Sound off in the comments section.

NEXT: TOP ALBUMS OF 2005 - #15-#11!

Comments:
I've got a top ten list in the works. I think I'm halfway done with the post or something like that, so maybe later this week.

But that Beck album is on there. It's great. I didn't buy the Hot Hot Heat album because I was rather unimpressed with the single. I'm sure it's good, I just don't have a lot of money to spend on albums these days...
 
Looking forward to the top 10, yo.

Yeah, Guero was good, but I actually expected better considering what people were saying about it. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but I think Odelay edges it out in terms of importance.

The Hot Hot Heat album is okay. It won't change your life or anything, but it's good driving music, or something like that. Not as good as Public Enemy, though.
 
The last two years have been kind of weak Top 10 years for me... There's a few albums I really really love and then as I get down to 8, 9, and 10 it starts to be a stretch and I think, "I like it but is this really notable enough to be in the Top 10?" but it gets there because I can't think of anything I really liked better that's not already on the list. Maybe it's time to switch to a Top 5 system.
 
I second that. The only reason I did a "Top 20" was because there were, like 11-12 albums I really wanted to talk about, and I needed a nice, round number.
 
I think my enjoyment of the new Ben Folds was increased by seeing him live in the fall. Still haven't had time to pop in the new live DVD yet. I think he was maybe at the top of his game on Reinhold Messner... Probably his best even if it's not my favorite if that makes sense.
 
I know what you mean. I think the first two BFF albums are just brilliant, but Messner is an album by a band that's at the height of creativity and talent. It's really something special.

Ben Folds said that after Messner, they felt that they had done everything they could do as a band, and that was one of the reasons they split up. Weather or not I believe that matters none.
 
A little off topic, but may be of interest to some people... you can download full episodes of Lost, The Office, and a bunch of other shows from iTunes now. This may be enough for even me to go buy an iPod!
 
That's dangerously close to BLAM! there. Watch your lip, yo.

We're in the midst of a TV revolution. No more time constraints, TV on demand, whenever you want!

It's truly a great time to be alive.
 
If you're obsessed with TV, anyway.
 
This is our time to shine.
 
www.theblam.com
 
Even better!!! www.theblam.net
 
Do I need to give another HTML lesson here? Learn how to make links work, people. This cut-and-paste stuff is for cavepeople.
 
Darn knuckle-scraping Neanderthals.

Wait...you're talking about me! HEY!
 
Here's how you make a link:

This Is Raindrop

I posted this in the comment section of my blog, but I think only two people ever look there, and I just gotta BLAM!
 
That's even better than the rap battles Ben used to be in.

Wait, did I say rap battles? I meant Star Wars figure battles.
 
Wow. That was painful. I think even old Ben could bust those tykes offa da' mic.

I will be posting my rebuttal battle rap within the week.

(rubs hands together feverishly)

Oh yes, this is going to be good. Insanely stupid, but good.
 
Is your rebuttal rap going to be a clip of a guy with the initials JD battle rapping? If so I don't want to spoil it. If not, you probably need to see that of which I am speaking.
 
Paste, I don't know what you're talking about, but I'm intrigued.

My idea is much worse. I was literally going to do my own battle rap.

No, this will be a great idea.

Maybe.
 
I do need to see this battle rap of yours. In the meantime...

This is Jelly Donut. (20Meg)

The intro is stupid, but the payoff is worth it.
 
I'll watch this when I get home from work, but I'm already laughing.

I'm working on my rebuttal rap as we speak.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home