Monday, January 16

I'm Having A Dream.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Another week, another Commie Award. This week wasn't as cut and dry as the first, so I had to rattle off a few nominees who also deserved recognition.

And away we go.

Honorable Mention - Dwight Schrute.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Dwight's overcoming of a nasty concussion on Thursday's episode of The Office was an inspiration to the entire Dunder-Mifflin organization. That was an unnecessarily long sentence, but he deserves it. His unblinking loyalty to Michael was the cause and solution to his problems.

Thursday's episode of The Office was one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a while. The writing and acting were crisp as lettuce for 23 straight minutes, and I missed several jokes because I was recovering from the previous ones. I'm glad that The Office and Earl have become hits on NBC; here's hoping this will cause other networks to take a good, hard look at Arrested Development. Also, perhaps this will finally usher in the death of the standard sitcom; laugh track, live studio audience, etc.

Runner-Up - (TIE) - Mr. Eko & The Smoke Monster.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On Wednesday's episode of Lost, fans were looking forward to finally getting a good look at the 'security system' that was terrorizing most of the castaways. Well, we got what we wanted, but nothing but more questions have been raised because of it. Mr. Eko's confrontation with the smoke showed us what was inside the monster; basically the thoughts and fears of whatever it happens to be staring down at the time.

Eko backs down to nobody, and eventually caused the smoke to drift off into the jungle. Because this ended in a stalemate, I was unable to award one over the other. When an immovable force meets an unstoppable object, well...you know. Now that the smoke monster has become a part of the regular cast, perhaps we can look forward to a flashback episode during sweeps.

WINNER - JAKE PLUMMER.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Where Mr. Eko was having trouble taking down the smoke monster, Jake Plummer did something much more difficult, by taking down one of the greatest dynasties in NFL history. The New England Patriots have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls, and quarterback Tom Brady was an unprecedented 10-0 in playoff competition. All of the critics (including myself) thought the Patriots would march right through Denver and walk away with a bid to the AFC Championships. Sorry, dude.

Why does Jake Plummer rock so hard? Well, just look at the guy!

He doesn't look like a football player, he looks like a football fan. In a league full of pretty boys and precision passers, it's good to know that someone who looks like an alcoholic friend of my Dad can get a job as starting quarterback. His hair hangs scraggly out of his helmet, his 'stache rivals even Earl Hickey's, and he proudly sports an American flag-styled do-rag during games. Hilarious and awesome, Jake Plummer is my new favorite underdog.

That being said, I think I still want the Steelers to win the AFC Championship. More to come.

There you have it. I'll be enjoying Martin Luther King Jr. day by liberating my alarm clock from the oppression of waking me at 6am, and not leaving the house. Oh, I might get some cleaning done, too.

NEXT: 10 STUPID JOBS.

Comments:
One additional thing I enjoyed about that particular Office episode was that it was revealed that Dwigt's middle name is Kurt. Dwight Kurt Schrute. Say it out loud, it does not roll off the tongue easily which is hilarious to me. I've watched this episode at least half a dozen times by now and I'm still laughing out loud. That may be the best ep of the season so far.
 
After work last week, I had to re-watch the beginning just because I kept thinking about it during the day. I'll watch it again tonight if I have time; it was a brilliantly written episode, start to finish.

Dwigt. "D-W-I-G-H-T!"
 
Actually, I just read in Entertainment Weekly that both ABC and Showtime were both looking at Arrested Development. There may be hope for a fun, sexy time yet.
 
That's very true; there's still hope for AD. If I were in charge, I'd kick out Will & Grace and Four Kings, and throw AD and Scrubs into the NBC Thursday night fray with Earl and the Office.

I don't know if I already said this or not (too lazy to check), but the rumor is that FOX will air the last 4 episodes during a 2-hour marathon on Friday, February 10.
 
Now that would be a sweet, sweet lineup on NBC. I heard that the Feb 10th marathon is right during the Winter Olympics opening ceremonies, which is expected to dominate the ratings. So they're effectively pissing it away (which is what they've been doing all along anyway).

Todd, I guess I'll be seeing you in a couple weeks. We can make funny observations to eachother, it'll be like a live blog comment section.
 
Yeah, we'll be out there on the 25th. Not sure when we'll make it over to The S.S. (isn't that how the cool kids refer to Siloam now?)

You and I will have to print out our profile pictures and hold them up next to us as we talk so we can remember who each other is.

As for an AD marathon, that's awesome. I always friggen hate when the Olympics come on and pre-empt everything, so at least I'll have something to watch...
 
Now that you bring up the Olympics opening ceremonies, it makes sense that FOX would burn out the remaining AD's during that time. Unreal. That's a great way to pay tribute to a Best Comedy Emmy award winning series.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home