Sunday, January 22

Sunday Conversation-Sponsored By Ford.



"Dude, what's with the banner ad?"

Okay, so here's the deal. Last week, I was ranting about all the good shows that FOX has cancelled over the last few years. One that I forgot to bring up was Grounded For Life, which ran on FOX for about a season and a half before they pulled the plug on it.

Image hosting by Photobucket

If you've never seen the show, it ran for 2 seasons on FOX, smack-dab in the middle of their amazing Sunday night lineup a few years ago. Me and the Missus seriously watched every episode of Grounded until FOX canned it. It was eventually picked up by WB, but the first season remains by far their best work, in my opinion.

The show is simply about a young couple raising their 3 kids in suburbia. The writing was hip and current, the characters were flawed and believable, and the woman who plays Claudia was and still is super-cute. Even the Missus liked this show, which is far more of a selling point than I could ever make on my own. Plus, the guy from Office Space that gets paralyzed is on it, and he's always funny.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Surprising enough to me, the CDP was being watched by someone who does promotion for Anchor Bay, the production company for Grounded. Because the CDP takes in a fair amount of hits from people looking for TV and pop culture-related business, they wanted to know if I would mention Grounded's upcoming DVD release, and made me an offer for the ad space.

The offer? A 2-pound bag of M&M's and a guest spot on an upcoming episode of 'That 70's Show.' Well, not really. It was actually a little better than that.

Now, you know me. I'm not a salesman. I've made attempts in the past to get rid of all advertising on this page, even when I was sure it would make me money. However, in this case, I really do like Grounded For Life. It's not every day that you're propositioned to talk about something that you'd gladly talk about for free. I jumped at the chance, and here we are.

Image hosting by Photobucket

If you're interested, click on the link and give it a look see. There's a lot of clips and whatnot to check out.

Oh, and another thing, the guy who plays the Dad on this show used to play 'Jimmy the cab driver,' that sweaty, jittery guy that did those great MTV PSA's in the 90's:

Image hosting by Photobucket

And just in case anyone else is reading, here's a brief list of 10 things that I would also enjoy talking about:

Mini Coopers and the MINI corporation (see sidebar link)
Arrested Development & Imagine Television (see sidebar link)
Lost & Bad Robot Productions (see sidebar link)
Godiva Chocolates & Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream
The 2006 Porsche Boxter
Veridian Homes
Nintendo, Nintendo Gamecube and Nintendo Revolution
Alienware Computers
OBEY Clothing & Propaganda (see sidebar link)
Express Men, Target and Best Buy stores

Later. I'll be back with this week's Commie Award, and the funniest post I didn't write.

Comments:
Dang, I need to find a sponsor for my blog. Maybe urinal cakes or something.

That show was pretty good, though I didn't watch it regularly. That guy was better in it than he was in Tao of Steve or whatever that movie was.
 
Well, I'm glad that you actually watched and enjoyed some of it, so you know that I'm not a total fraud and sell-out. I was honestly bummed when it was cancelled.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go and cash an unexpected check.
 
When they release the dvd box set of "Men Whizzing in Public" seasons 1,2&3, I'll make literally dozens of dollars shilling for it on my site. Everytime I check my Sitemeter, I lose a little faith in the human race. Of course, that happens every time I look at MySpace, too, so maybe it's just me.
 
Yeah, I try to avoid that MySpace hornet's nest at every turn. If anything, because the layout is always completely unappealing. Oh yeah, and 90% of the members are idiots. Blogger's where the real party's at, and we're not owned by FOX.

My Sitemeter used to be a lot more interesting before I started talking about Lost. I still get a request for 'dry hump movies' every now and again, but without nearly as much frequency as before.

Every now and again, I'll see that someone was searching for my real name, or 'The CDP' or something, and that honestly freaks me out.

Who produced 'Men Whizzing In Public?' Sounds like something Steven Bochco would do.
 
I don't know who produced it, but I heard it was #1 on the charts for quite a while. Ba dum bum.
 
(Best Ed McMahon impression)

Hey-Oh!
 
Sellout! Corporate whore!!





And yes, I am jealous. See if you can get the fine people from Converse to give me a call.

Oh, and I'm compiling a list of my Sitemeter referrals for an upcoming post at some point. I've been amused and horrified by some of the ways people are finding me. "Toilet Whimsy" was only the beginning.
 
Believe me, I'm 99 and 44/100% purely certain that this chance will never befall me again, which is why I'm taking it now.

I love Converse. If anyone's reading, I wear a 9 and prefer Gunmetal.

Everyone needs to compile a Sitemeter list at least once. It's a good way to bond amongst your fellow Blogger. Here's some of my favorites from the past:

Rave party movie clips
Posters for dinner and dance party
Communist hat
Communist food
Duff Man clips
Tom Landry hat
Coastal Drag
Sinneslochen
Polybius Legend
New Wave Jacket lyrics
Communist dead
I'll mess with Texas
Funny stuff about Martin Van Buren
Four feet of hair
Spirits leave pennies
Dry hump movies

I've edited some of the more objectionable ones.
 
Sinneslochen

WTF?

*heads off to google*
 
(and yes, I found your site looking for Dry Hump movies)
 
99 and 44/100%... That's Ivory pure.

(This comment brought to you by the fine folks at Procter and Gamble)

Did you know at Burger King you can refill your drink as many times as you want, and it's free?
 
Wow! I really can have it my way! And if I find I can't have it my way, at least I can Eat Fresh! I'm Lovin' It!
 
Ba-Da-Ba-Bah-BAH.

Funny thing is, I barely miss my soul. When Internet Historians look back and try to pinpoint the exact moment when the CDP jumped the shark, allow me to refer them to this post for the definitive answer.
 
Believe me...I'm in advertising. Not only do I not remember when I lost my soul, I don't even remember what it's like to have one.

"Now is the BEST time to buy my soul! If you don't buy my soul today, I can't save you any money!!" *sets off sirens and whistles*
 
"The boss is on vacation, and we've lost our minds!"
 
Todd W may remember this from some time ago... I'm certain I could have helped move tons of product if Best Buy had latched on to my "DVD's Done Dirt Cheap" campaign, to the tune of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by classic rockers AC/DC. I can't believe they chose that lame "Turn on the fun!" schtick.
 
Oh, that would have been much better than 'Turn On The Fun.' I never tire of classic hits reprised to sell products. It's a guilty pleasure.

My most recent favorite? Kraft Cheese Crumbles, sung to the tune of EMF's "Unbelievable:"

"They're Crumbelievable!"
 
Holy cow...I totally remember "DVDs Done Dirt Cheap." That's brilliant! It's always the worst though when you grow up hearing a song from an ad and not knowing it was a real song before the ad. Until I was about 18, I thought "Good Day Sunshine" was created by a breakfast cereal company.

It's sort of the same thing, but there's a store about a mile from my house named "Stupid Prices Furniture!" Classy.
 
Please take a picture of the sign when Stupid Prices has a going-out-of-business sale.

If I had a store, I'd also call it Stupid Prices, but all the prices would be ridiculously high.

I've always liked that scene from Simpsons with the hot-air balloon in the car lot, and the big sign on the balloon says, "Our prices are sky high!"
 
Then Homer and Marge throw out Gil's hot plate that he had one payment left on, and take off in the balloon he's been living in.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home