Monday, April 17

Lonely Crashing Lonely.

Rear Ended.

This is the Missus' car.

Well, at least it used to be. Allow me to explain.

First off, I want to let everyone know that she's okay. I took her to the hospital immediately afterwards, and although she has whiplash, the doctors say it should heal by the end of the week. She's laying very still on the couch as I speak, popping Advil and icing the back of her neck. I guess with whiplash, tomorrow's going to be hell, but if it's a normal neck injury it will get back to normal soon thereafter.

Now, here's what happened.

We both had today (Monday) off; she was headed to an allergist appointment at 8am and I was sleeping on the floor of the living room. Easter ran a little late last night and we were both a bit exhausted. The plan for the day was to clean the house and check out some homes for sale in the area when she came back from the doctor.

On the way to the allergist, the Missus exited the highway and stopped at a red light in the left turn lane. When the signal changed, she was looking around to see if anyone was coming so she could turn. She heard a squeak and looked into the rearview mirror just in time to see a Jeep Liberty's grill smash into her back end at 35 miles an hour. Microseconds before the crash, she had the amazing sense to put her hands behind her head, arrest-style, which probably spared her from a much worse neck injury.

When the Jeep hit the back end, her head snapped back and went forward into the steering wheel; her car rear-ending the one in front of her and so on. The Jeep that hit her didn't break at all; there were no skids anywhere near the site of the accident.

Rear-Ended.

The Missus, upon assembling her bearings, got out of the car with the full intention of killing whomever was behind her. Full of adrenaline, she made her way back to the Jeep to see a frail, handicapped man, not a day under 80 years old. This fool actually told her that not only did he see her and not even think to hit the brakes, but that it was his third accident in the last 3000 miles with this newly-leased Jeep. "This time, they'll take my license," he mumbled; she tells me that she could barely understand what he was saying.

The Missus called the cops and then called me. I arrived on the scene a few minutes after the police, who had actually dealt with this man in the past. They exchanged insurance information and all that wonderful stuff, before getting a tow truck on the scene. The Jeep smacked the fuel pump on the Missus' car, essentially totaling it for the time being. Considering the damage to the trunk and body, the early reports state that this car is totaled, period.

Old Jeep Guy got a ticket, and will most likely lose his license; which should have probably happened years ago. He was properly insured, so here's hoping we won't have to pay a dime. They'll even cover the medical bills, towing costs and whatever else has to happen with the car. Sadly though, the Missus is in a lot of pain, we're short one car that we'll probably never get back, and buying a new one isn't really something we wanted to do anytime soon. That all being said, with all the things that could have gone wrong today, we're focusing on all the things that went right.

For example, we get to drive to work together for a while. I always like that.

Rear-Ended.

The car's at the impound lot right now, waiting to be checked out by a claims adjuster. We're going back and forth with the insurance agency right now, making sure we're doing everything we can to settle this as soon as possible. I'll keep you updated.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns about this, sound off in the comments section. Send any well-wishings to the Missus in there, too. Thanks.

Comments:
That sucks, but at least she's not seriously hurt. Get well soon, kiddo.
 
Yeah, it could have been a lot worse. Thanks, I'll spread the good feeling.

I know it doesn't look too bad in the photos, but I'm really surprised that the airbags didn't deploy. She credits her safety and well-being to the extra-roomy trunk that the Taurus offers.
 
Yikes, that's scary. Crazy teenagers. I mean, octogenarians. They need to have Wilford Brimley do a commercial instructing old people to voluntarily have their licenses revoked. It's the right thing to do, and the tasty way to do it.

Best wishes to the Missus.
 
Thanks, Paste. It IS the right thing to do. Thanks to Mr. Brimley, I get my Liberty Medical supplies shipped right to my door, and I don't even have diabetes.

Yeah, This old man had no business being on the road. I don't care much about age, I just care about driving ability. When you have two major accidents in less than a month, you may want to consider doing something to remedy it that doesn't require smashing into my wife.

"You know, it's kinda ironic. These old people are being kept alive by the organs of the young people they ran over."
 
Glad she is doing okay.
I'll never forget the time I was rear ended. It was a slick afternoon just after a little rain shower. I was 17 and driving my Mom's Nissan Stanza hatchback. I was badass. I had just stopped at a red light when I heard the screeching of tires and felt myself being launched toward the windshield. I was pissed. I jumped out of that car and wanted some good ol' fashioned vengeance on the idiot that slammed into me. As I approached the car I saw it was a little old lady (Plymouth Horizon and everything) that kinda looked like my Nana. A brief moment of dissapointment and relief passed over me to be replaced with concern. Dissapointment that I didn't get to vent my fury on anyone (I was ready to kick ass!) And relief that it wasn't someone bigger than my 155 lbs frame. (I didn't want to get MY ass kicked)
To end it we exchanged info and called it a day. The damage wasn't that bad. My Mom on the other hand was BULL. But, that's another story.
 
You mean he didn't "brake"? Because saying the Jeep didn't break completely changes the story. Although Jeeps are rather rugged.

Hope all is well soon. More proof that there should be mandatory testing to keep your license.
 
Jeeps never break. This one also did not brake. I apologize for my error; I will not correct it.

When you reach a certain age or get a certain number of tickets or something, they really should make you test far more often to keep your license. I know that rookie drivers are dangerous and stereotypically reckless, but all my problems have been with the elderly and senile. Just last week, we watched an older woman who obviously couldn't see take her car right into a patch of road cones.

As Blustacon was saying, it's a bit deflating because you can't beat these people up in the heat of the moment.

I mean, you can, but...you know.
 
He's lucky he was an old man, that's all I can say.
 
That's true about Jeeps though. I've owned three and they all kicked butt. One was T-Boned by a Bronco going 35 mph. Not only did everyone survive, I was able to drive the darn thing home. Incredible machines.
 
Weren't Jeeps originally military vehicles? I guess that would make sense then.

T-boned by a Bronco? Yeeesh. Those aren't weak vehicles themselves.

Didja pee your pants? Because I would have peed my pants.
 
No, but the Bronco did. Made a mess of that highway too.
 
I want my car back. Now.
 
Me, too.
 
You already have a car.
 
I want your car back. Yours is better.

I got a special delivery at work today with your name on it. I wonder what's inside?
 
Sorry to hear about the accident! Old people suck!
 

Post a Comment

<< Home