Friday, June 9

Lost Friday - 20 Reasons Edition.

Watch Out For Snakes!

In the summer of 1996, Comedy Central issued a press release stating that they would be cancelling Mystery Science Theater 3000 after 7 seasons on the air. MST3K, in my opinion, was the single greatest television show ever; so far ahead of its time that networks still haven't caught up to their all-encompassing style of humor, satire and slapstick. I've been collecting MST3K memoribilia for the last 10 years, and I think I have a collection that rivals some of the bigger Cult TV nerds out there (feel free to contact me if you want to trade anything).

Anyways, the rabid and obsessive MST3K fanbase fought back, using their brains and the power of the rapidly-expanding internet to round up donations and media contacts. Later in the year, these fans purchased a full-page ad in Daily Variety magazine, begging any and all TV execs to somehow take notice and revive the show. I'm pretty sure this is one of the few times in TV history something like this had happened, but when MST3K is involved, I'd expect nothing less.

Wouldn't you know it? It worked. The Sci-Fi Channel saw the viewer outcry and picked the show up for an additional three seasons, sending MST3K into Season 10 and 198 total episodes before finally bowing out in 1999 (including a feature film). Bear in mind that an episode of MST3K was 2 hours long, so 10 seasons is more like 40 seasons, easily outliving and outlasting any show with half of their talent.

When fans of other shows saw this grassroots revival campaign work, they sprung into action when their shows were put on the chopping block. In recent days, we've seen fan outcry for shows like Family Guy, Arrested Development, Futurama, Freaks & Geeks (which featured many MST3K players), the list goes on. To this day, MST3K is constantly mentioned as one of the biggest and best Cult Television shows of all time, behind only Star Trek, which as we all know, sucks.

Why am I bringing all of this up?

Well, a couple weeks ago, I announced that I was pulling the plug on Lost Friday, which has (let's face it) been the main source of my web traffic for the last 8 months. As the season continued, I wanted to put more and more time into the posts, but without neglecting all of the other writing projects I wanted to work on. I got burned out, and by the time the Season Finale rolled around, I was so sick of talking about Lost I wanted to spit. In fact, I did spit a few times. I didn't want to turn my blog into another deadline-based project, so I decided not to pursue Lost Friday next season. I honestly didn't think anyone would miss it.

The day I made the announcement, my mailbox filled up with somber e-mails and requests to reconsider my decision. I could only assume that these people were sick individuals playing a practical joke on me, knowing full well that I was already psychologically damaged to begin with. I ignored it for a bit, but the kind messages kept on coming. I was floored.

Here now, 20 selected quotes from the letters and comments I received that week:

1. "I will dearly miss Lost Fridays. No one ever covered the show with the same ass-smackery as you have."

2. "I look forward to your insightful rambling (almost) as much as the show itself."

3. "You have to keep writing about Lost, it's the only way I really understand it."

4. "You tie the whole thing up in a nice, efficient, witty package."

5. "Man, I really looked forward to you keeping it up throughout the series (with a generous option to step down to 50% coverage if the show is still running when you turn 65)."

6. "I read your "Lost Friday" every week. Thank you so much for it. You truly do rock."

7. "Keep up the good work. You have an awesome site going, thanks for doing it."

8. "I have made myself a fine little tradition of getting my dose of post-Lost analysis through your amusing and detailed Lost Fridays."

9. "I am writing about Lost and your "Lost Friday" series; I love your insights and blog design."

10. "I love the recaps and the little tidbits about what's to come, and what that might mean. Keep it up."

11. "I have been reading Lost Fridays each week, for a few months now. It is the only blog that I frequent. Thank you for taking the time to write and link the plots together."

12. "I also really liked your photo captions - very Mystery Science Theater."
(This was one of my absolute favorite compliments.)

13. "I will surely miss Lost Fridays. At first it was the only reason I stopped by, but then you turned me into a McPheever convert and I couldn't stop talking about your page. It was the only way at the end of the week I could unwind and keep the horrible feeling that is Lost-withdrawal from consuming my life. You wrote like no other Lost board has in a long time. You didn't make me feel stupid for missing a small hidden secret in any Lost episode and you made recapping and previews of an otherwise damn-near-mind-blowingly-confusing-show seem so easy. Thank you."

14. "I just read your last entry on Lost and can't believe that you won't be back next year. Your site is the best. My sister-in-law is even MORE addicted to Lost than I am, and she loves your site."

15. "Nooo! We totally rely on you to make sense of Lost! You confirm our suspicions and raise new ones! Your blog is the one and only blog that I ever read on any topic."

16. "I've been reading your Lost Fridays faithfully for about 6 months now, after my boyfriend directed me to your site. Thanks for all your hard work, humor and insight. You've enhanced my Lost experience immensely. I will be sad to see Lost Fridays come to an end."

17. "It was truly something I look forward to every week."

18. "Thanks again for all the Lost Fridays- they were all superbly crafted and very much appreciated."

19. "You have the best Lost recap site I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty."

20. "I hope that you get a million of these letters saying that they are going to miss your Lost Fridays, and that maybe, over the summertime, you may reconsider and bring back this most wonderous thing that I have come to depend on and love."

Wow.

Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Don't get me wrong, 20 people saying 20 nice things is a far cry from a full-page Daily Variety ad, but it's a darn big deal to me. Never one to turn my back on wanton web traffic or the status quo, I am officially waffling on my position to quit Lost Friday. I mean, if I don't do it, someone else will, and they'll probably stink it all up. To hell with that!

Consider Lost Friday officially renewed for another season. Your voices have been heard. I'm glad you used them to bring back something else besides Family Guy.

Sound off in the comments section, send all fan/hate mail to communistdance@yahoo.com. For the skinny on Lost Friday, check out all the links:

SEASON TWO - EPISODE 23/24 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - FINALE EDITION 2
SEASON TWO - FINALE EDITION 1
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 22 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 21 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 20 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - CLIP SHOW EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 19 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 18 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 17 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - TEMPORARY EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 16 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 8
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 7
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 15 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 14 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 13 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 6
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 12 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 11 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 10 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 5
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 4
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 3
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 9 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 8 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 7 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 6 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 2
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 5 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 4 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 3 REVIEW
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 1 REVIEW
SEASON TWO PREVIEW

Comments:
What's Lost?
 
Lost is what I'd be without your sparkling sense of wit.
 
Moustaches All The Rage In NY.

It's good to be ahead of the trends for once.
 
You don't have a moustache.
 
I didn't say that I did.
 
Then you're not "ahead of the trend."

Ben is though, for once. Or was anyway.

Are you kids going to be in the Appleton area this weekend? My brother seems to think you might be. Because I'm going to be in that area for the weekend. We're getting Village Pub pizza on Saturday.
 
You should see my moustache. It's lucious and bushy; it can blast womens' clothes off with a single glance.

My moustache can lift a house. My moustache is Superman. My moustache beat me at Scrabble.

We're not coming up this weekend, we're probably going to the Dells. Novelty t-shirts and mini-golf are calling.
 
My husband= God among Losties.

Is that what they're calling themselves?
 
I think they're called Losties. MST3K fans are called 'MSTies.'

I don't consider myself a God. Maybe more of a Duke than anything.
 
Chuck Norris called. He said "Chuck Norris' beard is not intimidated by CDP's puny stache. Chuck Norris' beard could single-beardedly wipe that stache not only off your face, but out of existence. Alas, you shall fear the vengeance of Chuck Norris' beard. Chuck Norris' beard also demands that Ben bring back his roundhouse kickass chops and handlebar stache."

You're playing with danger on this stache issue.
 
I thought my moustache was great. People loved it and it loved people. Until it crashed my car, took my meager savings and ran off to San Juan with the cocktail waitress at my favorite club.

Let's not talk about moustaches.
 
I know what you mean. My moustache got drunk at a wedding reception and threw up on the cake.

We then got into a fight in the parking lot of the Elk's Lodge and I never saw it again.
 
We should start grassroot campaigns to get bad shows cancelled. I think that'd be funny. I'd chip in for an ad in Daily Variety asking them to cancel The War At Home.
 
I'll join you if it means the end for According to Jim more like Boring and Dim.
 
That's so weird CDP, We have some crazy moustache fights at my Elk's Lodge too. I don't care what else you've seen. It doesen't hold a candle to three pencil thins taking one one burly handlebar.
 
Those pencil thins fight dirty, too.

You know, we should start campaigns to cancel TV shows. Eventually, it would work. You know what they say, though. When you cancel one bad show, 5 more take its place.
 
My vocalist is working an overnight security job all summer... 90 hours 1 week, none the next, with 12 and 16 hour shifts. I've convinced him to watch the most horrible movies he can find, and need suggestions.

Figure this is the best place to start.
 
He could start by watching Eyes Wide Shut, that is a horrible movie.
 
I'd recommend anything that was busted on by the MST3K crew, or anything located in the IMDB Bottom 100.

Plan 9 From Outer Space is always a good gateway into the world of bad sci-fi and whatnot, and it's available almost alywhere.
 
Speed 2

nuff' said
 
True 'dat.
 
Plan 9 is pretty good, actually.
 
YEAH! Lost Friday will be back!! I forwarded your web page to a large group of LOST fans last fall. We were all talking about the show one day and I was telling these co-workers about your site. Next thing you know, we are all not only talking about Lost after every show, but chatting about your blog on every Friday afternoon. THEN, not soon after, we are all talking about your regular stories, adventures, sex neighbors, album covers, sub sandwich stories and so forth.
NO KIDDING!

I'm sure it is a sh!t load of hard work getting your LOST Friday blogs up, but we all do really love them. I work for the Mercury Newspaper out here in California, and trust me on this; you have a pretty decent following at our paper.

Thank you for the laughs. =)

Jess

P.S. I only eat vegetarian on accident.
*evil grin*
 
Jessica, your getting the word out on the CDP is just fantastic to me; I appreciate it more than you know. Things like that are the reason Lost Friday is coming back.

It's nice to see you back in the comments section, too.

Mad props and respek goes out to the Mercury Newspaper in California. Hit me up if you ever need a sexy hand model or something. I have outstanding cuticles.
 
Yay!
Both un-cancelling Lost Friday and the start of the world cup in soccer. All happening in one week!

Now I just need to read a good, long text about going vegetarian to make it the perfect week!
 
I exist for the sole purpose of making days brighter.

Now if I could only do something about the US World Cup team sucking so much.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home