Friday, October 13

Lost Friday - "The Glass Ballerina."

The Glass Ballerina.
Season 3 - Episode 2: "The Glass Ballerina."

Another Lost Friday is upon us; we have much to discuss. Happy Friday the 13th to you.

I don't know about you, but I liked this episode a whole helluva lot. In my opinion, it did everything right, advanced the plot, pretty much wrapped up the Jin/Sun/Sayid cliffhanger and had fantastic flashback sequences. Sure, there are other storylines that we'd rather be focusing on, but all things considered, this was a great interjection and a chance to get our bearings together after the Season Premiere.

Also, my opinion of this episode is in no way biased due to my deep (and extremely unhealthy) feelings for Sun, so you can cram that theory straight up your chute. Make with The Skinny!

THE SKINNY - SPONSORED BY HALLIBURTON.
Halliburton.

The episode begins with a flashback to Sun's house when Sun was just a little girl. A crystal ballerina is spinning through the air until it crashes, shattering into pieces. Sun, who is the only person present in the room, flees in terror. Later, her father confronts her and asks her if she broke the glass ballerina. Sun lies and tells her father that it was the maid who broke the ballerina even though her father tells her that he will fire the maid if Sun accuses her.

Is my glass eye too obvious?

Jack is sitting in the corner of the aquarium where he is being held captive. Juliet brings soup to him, which she claims she made herself. On returning to Ben, where Ben is monitoring video feeds of Jack, Sawyer, and Kate, he comments that Juliet never made soup for him. Colleen enters and warns Ben that Sayid has discovered the false village and also that he has a sailboat. Ben insists she form a team to capture the boat. Later, Colleen is seen gathering people.

With the desire of protecting Sun and her unborn child, Jin tells Sayid that he thinks it is time to return to the camp. Sayid tells Jin and Sun that he will not abandon Jack and suggests that they move to a different location to light a new signal fire. Sun sides with Sayid, and she sails the boat further around the island.

On the beach, while the three are making a fire, Sun asks Sayid why he is lying, and Sayid admits he thinks the others have been captured and he intends to ambush the Others and take some hostages and kill the rest. He asks Sun to lie to Jin, but Jin soon realizes what is really going on, and tells Sun he knows more English than she thinks he does and that she betrayed him with her lie.

That's it, I'm kicking your ass.
("If you sing one more Dixie Chicks song, I'm going to saw your beautiful head off.")

Later that night, while Jin and Sayid are on the shore, a group of Others boards the sailboat. Colleen encounters Sun below deck and surprisingly Sun shoots her in the stomach after Colleen insisted she would not. Sun barely escapes the boat while being shot at. The Others steal the boat and Jin rescues Sun from the water.

Ben visits Jack and formally introduces himself as Benjamin Linus. He tells Jack that he will need him to do something for him in the future. Ben shows Jack a video of the Red Sox winning the World Series to prove that they have contact with the outside world and can take Jack home.

In flashbacks, Sun's father discovers the relationship she was having with Jae Lee. While he doesn't tell Jin about it, he demands that Jin kill him. Jin, not wanting to murder anyone, informs Jae Lee that he must leave the country and disappear. Moments after leaving Jae Lee's apartment, a shamed Jae Lee kills himself by jumping from his window. At Jae Lee's funeral, Sun's father informs her that it's not his place to tell Jin what he knows.

I guess the rumors are true.
("Wow...you should really have that looked at.")

While Sawyer and Kate are working outside, Sawyer kisses Kate in order to instigate the guards. Sawyer fights them before being tasered. Sawyer later reveals that he did it to learn which guards would give them a problem if they tried to escape. The episode ends with Ben looking at a bank of monitors watching and listening to Kate and Sawyer.

Well, there you go. Things happened; people watched. Make with The Numbers!

THE NUMBERS - SPONSORED BY DOW CHEMICAL.
Dow Chemical.

4 - I hate Juliet. Hate, hate, abso-freaking-lutely hate this woman with the burning intensity of a million hydrogen bombs. I might actually hate this woman more than Ana Lucia, which I thought was impossible until last week. However, this burning hatred is a credit to the writing staff, because this woman is pure evil.

I'm evil, and that's okay.
(Due to her crooked jaw, Juliet was always walking at a slight angle.)

Her condescending attitude makes me vibrate with anger, mainly because I know a lot of people who act like her in reality (supervisors and middle-managers, mostly). Clearly, her and Ben were an item at some point; she acts like a male, less homoerotic version of him. The way she was talking down to Jack last week, and her cold and calculated way of doing things is rapidly making her the most monsterous villan on television.

Damn, I hate this woman. That's a good thing, though.

8 - Watching Jae Lee get his ass kicked by Jin was incredibly satisfying. I sincerely wanted the scene to last 5 minutes longer and get far more violent. I mean, I wanted Jin to tear this guy apart. Rule #1 of Not Being A Complete Ass is to not seduce a married woman, no matter how volitile their relationship might be. True, they didn't sleep together, but it still would have been enough to send me on a murderous rampage. When Sun's dad sent Jin to 'finish the job,' I was all but waving a pennant at the TV that said 'Graphic Violence' on it.

I feel just terrible for you.
("I never made the connection that cheating on a hitman's wife was a bad idea!")

The way he was bloody and crying with the gun to his head was poetic, and pretty much saved an otherwise quiet show from being lost in the Season Three shuffle. Had Jin known what he had done, his body would have never been identified. Luckily for Jae Lee, he was able to die with some dignity.

The fall onto Jin's windshield was flat-out awesome. Not only did Jin not have to kill him, but Sun's dad believes that Jin has obeyed his orders, and Sun feels terrible forever. Everyone wins.

Problem solved.
(Jae Lee, knowing that he couldn't afford to live anywhere else but New Jersey, kills himself.)

It should also be noted that the beginning of the episode was important to the underlying message of the episode. Mainly that Sun's kind of a liar, and Jin is a sad, sad man that nobody feels the need to be honest with.

15 - Should I take it as a compliment that they recognized the Red Sox World Series win, or should I be upset that Jack didn't believe it for a second?

Man, Curt Shilling is a beautiful man.
("God, David Ortiz is a beautiful man.")

That was a great scene, with Jack getting a glimpse of the real world again. Also, it was nice throwback to what Christian used to tell him about "The Sox winning the series." Anytime the 2004 MLB Playoffs are mentioned on TV, I'm a happy guy. Also, is Ben telling the truth about the date? I know it's still November of 2004 on the island, but perhaps he's pulling one over on us. There have been many theories about the timeframe not being what we think it is, but if you take Ben at his word, everything seems to be pretty much in order.

Benjamin revealed that his last name is Linus and he's lived on the island for his entire life. Thought you might want to know that.

16 - Sun shot that Colleen chick right in the gut. Good; I didn't like that girl, anyways. How uncool to open fire on a pregnant woman. You'd assume that they want her baby just as much as they wanted Aaron, Walt and that slew of tykes from the tail section.

Please let me kill someone.
(In just under 30 seconds, Sayid murders a thousand people in his mind.)

Sayid was uber-cool in this episode. He was setting a signal fire, walking straight up the Pala Ferry dock and assuring Jin that everything was safe; which led me to believe that Sayid was slowly becoming an idiot. However, he (as usual) knew exactly what was going on, and had a bloodbath in mind. "I'll take two of them hostage and kill the rest."

I've been known to do that on occasion, myself.

23 - Clearly, Kate and Sawyer will emerge from their slavery as a couple. Also, they are about two of the most dangerous castaways on the island. I expect a bloody escape attempt during Episode 6. I really got a kick out of the irritable guy with the tazer; I think Sawyer broke his nose. By the way, kissing Kate was probably worth the brutal pistol whipping.

Also, the only reason Kate was put in a dress was to boost the sex appeal this season; I'm absolutely sure of it. That all being said, it's working like a charm. She looked good, probably better than I've ever seen her on the show. I have this thing for chicks with bloody wrists and pickaxes. Unfortunately, there is not yet a website that spotlights this fetish. Leave it to me to find the only unexplored kink on the planet.

You ate the last Ding-Dong!
(Action Fat Guy!)

I'm going to rig my refrigerator so that whenever I open it, I get the same celebratory fanfare that Sawyer gets when he trips the food button. For whatever reason, I think that's absolutely hilarious. I mean, why would bears want to hear that music?

Also, what are the Others building? Can't the Widmore group drop them a jackhammer from the sky?

What does it take to get a color TV in here?
(For someone who's lived on the island his whole life, you'd think he'd be more tan.)

42 - Ben wants to make a deal with Jack for his freedom. I wonder what it is? Furthermore, it'll be interesting to see who's feeding the Others all of the castaway information from the outside world.

It's probably Johnny Damon. He's such a traitor. Make with the preview!

THE PREVIEW - SPONSORED BY THE CDP WEBSTORE.
The CDP Webstore!
(SPOILERS AHOY!)

Hey, Boone's Back!
("Please let my character die.")

Episode 3 - "Further Instructions."

4 - This episode is Locke-centric. It could be the episode where we find out how he got paralyzed, but I sort of doubt it. In fact, I sort of doubt we'll ever find out.

8 - The official press release reads: "The fates of Locke, Eko and Desmond are revealed after the implosion of the hatch, while Hurley returns to the beach camp to tell the tale of what happened when he, Jack, Kate and Sawyer encountered "The Others." Meanwhile, Claire is shocked to find Nikki and Paulo in Jack's tent."

Oooh, Nikki and Paulo! I love those two!

15 - Expect to see a bizarre dream sequence taking place at the Oceanic airport, involving most of the cast. These sequences will lead to us seeing Boone again, sending Locke on a journey very reminescent of Season 1. Of course, Shannon will show up in a bikini to berate the both of them, just for old time's sake.

I don't draw good.
("This is you. You suck.")

16 - Again, Desmond's going to be naked. Whoever said that sex on TV was a one-gender affair?

23 - This might be the last episode having anything to do with the hatch, so savor the flavor. This season has been mythology-free so far (just like I said it would), so this episode should satisfy those Lost fans that prefer the DHARMA-style mystery that Season 2 was so full of (like me). The more baffling of an ordeal this show becomes, the happier I get.

42 - This episode was originally scheduled to be Episode 2, so don't expect any overlap between this episode and the previous two. Apparently, the producers wanted to run the Jin/Sun episode first, which makes sense considering the overall landscape of the storyline.

Thanks for checking out another week of Lost Friday. If you want to talk, sound off in the comments section or send an e-mail to communistdance@yahoo.com. If you want to make a donation or buy some CDP merch, check out the links at the top of the page. Otherwise, head on over to The Coconut Internet and tell everyone how much of an ass I am.

I'm a big boy, I can take it. See you Monday.

EPISODE 1 REVIEW
SEASON THREE PREVIEW

Comments:
Not to sway the conversation or anything, but I think that The Office has finally surpassed Arrested Development as the marquee comedy of the 21st Century.

I just made that decision this morning.
 
Juliet may be pure evil, but she is also pure HOT.

"Did you check your butt?"
 
There were just so many great moments this week; The Office has almost become as quotable as The Simpsons:

Creed: "You know, a human can go on living for several hours after being decapitated."
Dwight: "You're thinking of a chicken."
Creed: "...What did I say?"

Michael: "Ed's CAPPA was DETATED from his head!"
Stanley: "You just spit in my face."

Dwight talking about making an Ed Truck robot 2/3 scale in case it turned on him, then giving it a cord so it wouldn't go very far.

Dwight: "I now have the strength of a grown man, and a little baby."

I also liked the grief counseling scene when they started quoting movies, and suddenly everyone wanted a turn with the ball.
 
And yes, I have to admit that Juliet is cute in a completely dominating and unhealthy way.

I still think she's bad for me, though.
 
I "Lost" it when Ryan rolled with Mufasa...
 
Really, I'm almost enjoying the Stamford office encounters more than I am the Scranton branch. A good friend of mine predicts that Jan will catch the game-playing tomfoolery and shut the branch down, thus sending Jim back to Scranton. This, of course, will happen as Pam and Roy get back together...
 
Can we get "spaced Fridays" ??
Not so much into lost...So I am kinda lost. Then I have to read your comments to get the office recap. That's just silly.
 
That's always been the way this page works. During Lost Friday, we talk about The Office. I don't know how it happened, but it did.

I'd devote a day to Office talk, but I don't have the time and it doesn't bring in as many hits. Having a quote-off in the comments section seems to do the trick. I'm glad you watch The Office though, it's the funniest show on TV besides Cops.

Moe, you're right. When Jim finally comes back to Scranton, Pam and Roy will be on the mend. Thumbs-up to the writing staff for making all of this work out without jumping the shark.
 
If you say Juliet is hot, then you have to say that Jack's wife, Desmond's girlfriend, the girl that Jack's dad was talking to in Australia, and the AA counselor are all hot....that would just be getting ridiculous. So no...she's not hot.
 
I said she's 'cute;' which means 'not ugly, but not special.'

If they introduce us to one more female doppleganger on this show, someone's going down.
 
Cute as in "not horribly disfigured"? Yes. I can see that.
 
Oh yeah, and...

Boone! Boone! Boone!
 
Juliette - Hot
Jack's Wife - Looked better in Happy Gilmore
AA - Don't remember
Desmond's girlfriend - Nah
Kate - No Juliette

Pam Beesly - Hot before she became a cocktease
Jan - Hot before season three
Carol - Why not?
Kelly - The ONLY character that really annoys me
Ryan - He won the Dundie, right???
 
Even after having an airplane fall on him, Boone continues to look good. Damn that non-threatening man straight to hell!

People at my office call me Ryan, because I remind them of said character on The Office. Yup.

It's funny that you are annoyed by Kelly, because she's a pivotal producer and writer to the show. In fact, she's the one responsible for "The Injury" episode last season. That doesn't make her character any less annoying, however. Much like Juliet, I find her annoying because I know so many people like her.
 
I'm glad to know that about Kelly. It makes a little more sense to me. She seems to be the only "over-the-top" character on the show (outside of Dwight, of course). Look how THREE people created 15 comments. You SEEM so popular!
 
I was just thinking about that. Whenever I see a blog with a lot of comments, I think to myself, "What a popular blog! I should stick around!" Of course, I never bother to see how all of these comments are being made.

The illusion of popularity is just as valid as the real deal. Fake it 'till you make it, that's what I always say.
 
I love these posts!!

Thanks again for "Lost Friday".

I must say though, This season isn't hooking me as much as I like... I need some freaking answers before they start taking the story way out in la-la land. Seems like too much build up for... well... who knows?

It better be good, I mean.. 3 seasons of mystery will start getting old real fast.

We'll all see I guess...
 
It's good to hear from you again, Jessica. Don't be a stranger!

Well, according to the producers of the show, Episode 6 (the last episode before the winter break) will contain something mind-blowing; presumably something that may re-shape the entire show. This could be the answer you're looking for, or it might just be more confusion. Time will tell.

I know what you mean, though. There are so many things left to be resolved, and so little mythology so far this season, it seems like answers are going to be placed on the backburner for a while.
 
I'm always here... never a stranger.

I read your post (almost) every morning.. I just don't always comment.

I even read your posts out loud to people sometimes when it's a REALLY good one (like the wedding one last summer... AWESOME).

Always a fan... just a quiet one. =)
 
You just made my day.
 
First off, I don't believe Jack was the first man to break down and weep at the sight of the Sox winning the world series. Those were totally tears of outrage and regret that he missed it while stuck on the Island.
I am totally with CDP about Juliette being creepy. Her lips are almost like that woman on Greys Anatomy. Just this side of needing their own Guest Star spotlight.
Sun pushed him. She was in the bathroom. Nuff said.
 
Did Sun kill Jae Lee? We may never know.

Seriously, it may take years before we get another Jin/Sun flashback episode.

I cried when the Sox won the series. Hell, I cried when the Sox beat the Yankees.
 
I cried when there was no salsa for my Tostitos.
 
We all have our weak points.
 
I'm a little disturbed that Boone looks hotter now that he's dead.
 
I agree. I can only hope that I follow suit when I kick the bucket.
 
I noticed that blogs that have a lot of comments (i.e. any of them that show up on FARK.com) tend to mainly be full of criticism and people being overly analytical about grammar and spelling. I avoid those blogs. Your blog is kind of like "Momma Bear's Blog"...jussst right.
 
Have you guys seen the 3rd Trailer ABC released, titled "Further Instructions"? Very interesting. It should be up on Lostlinks.net anytime now.
 
I've been lucky enough to be mentioned on Fark a couple of times over the last few weeks. Any time I can bring an extra thousand people to my page, I'm a happy guy. Fortunately, I haven't been bombarded with the comment trolls that you normally see lurking.

"Momma Bear's Blog"...that's just great. However, I thought that she was too cold?

Just saw the Episode 3 trailer; cannot wait.
 
Sorry for the lateness to the comment section, I was in Tampa.

I just wanted to say:
"*cough-'suckup!'-cough* .... Did you hear what I said, Josh?"

I also liked Michael's reply, "That's perfect." to Dwight's robot idea with the six foot long cord so it can't chase them.

And Creed is awesome.
 
Welcome back! You've been greatly missed; hope you enjoyed Tampa.

Creed almost stole the show with 1 solitary line last week. Amazing.
 
I never even that of Sun killing that guy...that's a good theory!
 
I had thought it was one of Sun's dad's other henchman finishing the job that Jin couldn't do. Of course, I may have missed something as I had to watch with my face 12 inches from the screen and the volume way down, so as not to wake sleeping children in the next room.
 
They never specified if he jumped or was pushed, but he was holding the pearl necklace in his hands. Perhaps a symbol of his unattainable love?

However, Colleen told Sun "I know you're not going to shoot me; you're not a murderer." Then Sun promptly shot her, as if to say that she still has a lot of secrets to reveal.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home