Friday, March 2

Lost Friday - "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead."

Lost Friday, bitches.
Season 3 - Episode 10: "Tricia Tanaka Is Dead."

Another Lost Friday is upon us. We have much to discuss, and hoo-freaking-ray for that.

I was a little skeptical going into this week's episode, as I'm sure most of us were. At the end of the day, however, I quite enjoyed it, regardless of its complete lack of plot development or mythology. What 'Tricia Tanaka Is Dead' did correctly is remind us of why we watch this show in the first place; great characters that we want to see interacting and bouncing off of each other.

Or in this case, pop-starting a VW bus and drinking 30-year-old light beer.

We got to see people that we haven't seen in months (and in the case of Rousseau, almost a year). We got another much-needed Hurley episode and we almost- almost, reclaimed our faith in Lost.

Almost.

Hey, let's Thin & Meager it up!

The Thin And Meager.

Okay, here's the scoop this week, kids.

A friend of mine is staying at CDP Headquarters for a few days, and effectively sleeping in my office. This is making it understandably difficult to get in here for long periods of time and 'get my write on.' While next week will bring back the typical satire and ass-smackery you've grown to love and appreciate every Lost Friday, I'm going to have to punt on this week's episode.

Look on the bright side. There wasn't too much plot development this week, and if you need me to hold your hand through this one, chances are you haven't understood any of the other episodes, anyway.

You can get a nice and sterile recap here. I will, however, Break It Down for you.

Break It Down!

4 - Sawyer was absolutely rife with insults this week. Examples include:

"International House Of Pancakes," "Jumbotron" and "Snuffy," in reference to Hurley.

"Jiminy Cricket," "Munchkin" and "Oliver Twist" in reference to Charlie.

He also refers to Roger as "Skeletor," exclaims that Jin is "Hooked on phonics," and goes on to explain to him the three things that all women need to hear. Add that to a Little House on the Prairie reference, and you've got some good stuff, here. I also liked Hurley stating that the Dharma Beer was older than Rocky III, maybe even Rocky II.

8 - When Hurley's father came back into his life, Hurley said "I'm not going anywhere with you." Those were the exact same words that Waaaaaaalt! said to Michael when he returned to his life. I just wanted you to know that I pay more attention to the show than you do.

15 - Like I was saying before, good characters make an average show a great show. In this episode, all we really saw was Hurley attempting to reclaim a little bit of faith in himself and the island. That was all we needed, however, as I found myself far more interested and captivated than last week.

My standing theory is that any episode without Locke and Sayid sucks. Even one line is better than nothing, and we got that this week. And Sun, too! What have I done to deserve such a bonus! Shouldn't she look at least a little bit pregnant by now?

16 - I can't wait for the flashback episode where they show the island in the 70's, during the peak of the Dharma Initiative. It had better happen at some point. Actually, the cast should just do a 70's throwback show, with wigs and everything. Or a musical. That always seems to bring in the raving idiots during Sweeps.

23 - Roger's head getting wedged and snapping off was about the funniest thing I've seen all week. It was the nonchalant attitude of Jin and Hurley that made it so humorous. Also, the surprise reaction by Sawyer (who was flat-out awesome this week) was gold.

42 - Claire was parading around the fakest looking baby in the history of Fake Television Babies. Watch it again, and laugh your ass off at the sight of this rigid, plastic monstrosity. It was like a miniature Courtney Love, with maybe a few more moving parts.

Enough of this, let's look ahead to next week. Tiny Spoilers Ahoy!

Enter 77.

4 - Next week's episode is titled "Enter 77." It will be Sayid-centric. Expect torture and tank-tops abound.

8 - The official preview from ABC reads: "Locke, Sayid and Kate investigate a strange structure and its mysterious inhabitant. Meanwhile, Sawyer competes in a ping-pong competition to get back his belongings."

Seriously. That's what it says.

15 - Producer Carlton Cuse sez: "The connection between the Others and Dharma gets revealed in Episode 11. We will be visiting another Dharma station soon. The map becomes less important, because when they visit this new station, they'll be getting some new information that helps them understand where the Dharma people lived and where their stations are."

That sounds promising. This truly looks to be a good old-fashioned mythology episode, which we really need right now.

16 - Again, this should be a good one. Sayid, Locke and Kate find the Dharma Flame Station, and also run into out eye-patched friend from a few episodes ago. Expect a new Dr. Marvin Candle video, and more hatch-like goodness.

23 - Concerning the flashbacks, Damon Lindleof sez: "We learn about Sayid's time in Paris and find out what happens to a torturer when he's forced to answer for past sins."

Thanks, Damon. You're an inspiration to our entire organization.

42 - While this doesn't have anything to do with this episode in particular, I'll have you know that the next several episodes of Lost look to be extremely promising as far as the overall vernacular of the show. Here are just a few of the topics they'll be covering over the next couple months:

Locke's paralyzation.
The return of Shannon and Boone.
A Nikki and Paulo episode that may actually turn them into fan favorites.
Is Claire Jack's sister?
Another Juliet episode that picks up right where the last one left off.
The inevitable death of Charlie.

Rad.

Well, there you have it; another Lost Friday in the can. Sound off in the comments section, or write to me at communistdance@yahoo.com. Also, don't forget to check out The Coconut Internet along the way. As always, here are links to every Lost Friday this season. They'll tell you what you want to hear, and spoon you while you sleep.

Season 3 Preview
Season 3 - Episode 1 Review
Season 3 - Episode 2 Review
Season 3 - Episode 3 Review
Season 3 - Episode 4 Review
Season 3 - Episode 5 Review
Season 3 - Episode 6 Review
Season 3 - Episode 7 Review
Season 3 - Episode 8 Review
Season 3 - Episode 9 Review

Comments:
I'll reply to this when I'm not at the bar with my laptop, playing poker.

Let that be a warning to ye.
 
I'll be ready.

I feel weak for half-assing, but I had no choice other than to pull the plug completely.

Every one of us is sick, too. CDP Headquarters isn't a real healthy place to be right now.
 
I never realized how much the hatch held me to the show until it was gone. The hatch was cool. It was mysterious and and a little bit dangerous, but also a source of food and relaxation and I bet it could dance too. I think the hatch was every girls vision of the perfect man. And guess what? They blew it up. What does that tell you? I don't know either.

One thing that really hit home this episode is that all the characters have RAGING FATHER ISSUES. When they get off the island they need to spend a few quality weeks in the Dr Phil House.

Sawyer kicked ass this episode.
 
That's why I'm excited about next week. They're heading over to the Flame Station for a little Hatchy goodness.
 
Here's my thought on Lock's paralysis. Maybe it's been discussed on some Lost discussion boards, but who has time to read those?

I think the cause of Locke's paralysis is psychosomatic and the fear of dying in the plane crash broke his mind's hold on his body.

Just a theory, and perhaps not that original at that.
 
Welcome aboard, Lott. Don't be a stranger!

It's an interesting theory; I like how tight-lipped the Lost crew is being on this. Terry O'Quinn says that he was certainly not let down by the episode, and he claims it's going to be awesome.
 
Ok, I'm finally awake and sober. For the time being, at least.

You're right in that this show didn't advance the overall plot, at all, but it didn't have to go anywhere.

Why?

THEY HAD BEER! I admit that I was at least a little bit jealous. True, I had my own beer while watching the episode, but it wasn't Dharma beer. I want Dharma beer! I bet it tastes like victory.

Those scientists sure knew how to 'get down', as the kids are saying these days.
 
I have PDF labels that I can put on my beer bottles that make them look like Dharma Beer. I do the same with my Peanut Butter.

It's awesome, and I've honestly done it.
 
What kind of society was DHARMA anyway? A man goes missing on a beer run and no one goes looking? I don't know how it works in your neck of the woods, but when we send a man on a beer run and he's ONE MINUTE overdue we go looking. Something could have happened to the beer!

Also, the Island is a very special place. It can help a paralyzed man walk, an infertile couple conceive, and stop 30 year old beer from becoming 12 oz cans of Saddam Hussein weapons grade botulism.
 
Speaking of beer, CDP, if you happen across anymore PBR tats and send them to me, we will immediately move to New Jersey and I will marry you. I'm all out, and there is a pig on the grill and several girls too young to be hanging out with me on the way over.

Ah, single life.
 
The beer-run work man must have died suddenly, perhaps when "the incident" occurred--if the incident was really more than another psychological experiment. It would explain why he was sitting in the driver's seat and no one looked for him.

And forget botulistic beer. What about impotent gasoline, sludgy oil, rusted brake drums, a dead battery...the implausability meter went to 11 on this episode.
 
Blustacon - I hear you on that. Apparently, the Dharma folks weren't as big of 'team players' as the Others are.

For the last 30 years, an unopened can of Billy Beer has sat in my Grandparent's fridge. I've always wanted to drink it, and now I know that I won't go blind if I do so.

JT - While I don't have any more tattoos on my person, I can see what I can dig up. I've always wanted to tour the brewery, maybe I can steal something.

Lott - Yup, there's really no way that van should have started. I honestly thought that Hurley and Charlie were going to be mashed flat by those rocks.
 
New item on my list of stuff to do before I die: Tour PBR brewery. Why hasn't this occurred to me before now? Probably because of all the PBR I drink.
 
JT- back when I was a kid (i.e. before internet) a movie called Midnight Madness was on UHF a lot. It was your typical zany pseudo-college (but we all look 30) scavenger hunt mayhem movie. One of the things they do is go to the PBR brewery. They had a great PBR soundbite in there that fits your obsession perfectly. Every time you mention PBR the soundbite runs through my mind.
 
Strangely, this was probably my favorite episode so far this season. It was (mostly) light-hearted and irreverant, and had me laughing like a fool during the Hurley/Jin/Sawyer scenes with the van. My husband made me rewind the DVR so he could watch - and he absolutely hates Lost. I'm looking forward to upcoming storylines and some freaking answers. I just have one question - I thought the producers had said at one point early on that Charlie was one of the characters they promised they wouldn't kill off? Not that I'll be complaining if they do, since Charlie has become one of my very least favorites on the show, I just wonder what made them change their minds. And I agree that Sun should look a little more "bun in oven" than she does...
 
While I can't remember if Charlie was on the 'do not kill' list, I do know that those producers have lied to us before. I guess when you're trying to keep one step ahead of 12 million psychotic fans, you have to fib a little.

Here's what I know for sure: SPOILERS, SCROLL DOWN...






Charlie will not be back for Season 4.

Boy, it's going to be a damn shame when Sun has that baby and it looks just like me. A damn, damn shame.

JT - When in Milwaukee, you can tour about 10 breweries all within 10 miles of each other. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon.
 
Here's the good news: I found a handful of PBR tats before my party last night.

Here's the bad news: mr drunk freinds put them everywhere but on people. My stove, refrigerator, microwave, cabinet doors, and doorknobs are covered in tattoos.
 
I think baby oil does the trick as far as removing them. Not sure how that works on inanimate objects, though.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home