Friday, July 27

In Defense Of Bread.

In Defense Of Bread.

When I was a kid, I would often snicker and mock my parents for owning the Best Of Bread album. As a child, I thought this was the funniest thing in the world; the cover of the album alone was enough to send me into fits of laughter. I mean, who names their band Bread and expects to be taken seriously?

This, of course, was all taking place while I listened to my Vanilla Ice and Milli Vanilli cassettes on a constant loop. Sadly, both acts went on to win Grammys in the 90's, proving that the best idea anyone had at the time was sampled beats and Germans pretending to sing. Hey, it's still better than what's popular now.

My Mother assured me that Bread was amazing, and it was the album that everyone made out to in the 70's. I would just pinch my lips together, my face red with glee, and go back to shaving vertical lines into my sideburns. "Boy, I'm glad I wasn't born in the 70's," I thought to myself. "Their music sucked. Besides, then I wouldn't be able to look like this!"

Adolescence was a bit of a rough patch for me, as you'd assume.

Fast-forward to today. Yesterday, actually. For the first time in my life, I sat down and listened to the entire Best Of Bread album on my iPod. What I heard was nothing short of brilliant songwriting, absolutely beautiful and timeless songs, and a hard lesson in growing up.

Most of you know that Bread was a mega-platinum group that needs no argument in defense of their awesomeness. They practically invented the term 'soft-rock' and their hits will be played on the radio until the end of time, but it took me next to 16 years to finally figure this out. Ignorance and past-assumption will get you nowhere, and I warmly accepted this swift boot to the ear by Karma. I didn't deserve to hear it until I was ready to appreciate it.

Yeah, it was just an album by a band with a silly name, but I think it actually changed the way I think about stuff. For one, it's a reminder that I'm getting older and starting to give chances to things I never thought I'd care about. Also, it's a reminder of the innocence and image-conscious mentality of the early 90's.

While I can't say that I still don't care about how I appear in the eyes of others, I can safely say that I will defend Bread for the rest of my life. And when my kids start laughing at me for owning the album, I'll just nod and smile, knowing that I did my job. Also, when I heard Aubrey for the first time, I shed a tear. At work, mind you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to call my Mom and apologize.

Sound off in the comments section, and have a great weekend. I'll update you on the Simpsons Trivia Contest on Monday.

Comments:
To the Missus and Sherry: Don't spoil the results until Monday, please!
 
Okay!
 
That 'Dismal Day' song is pretty rad, too.
 
Yes sir!

On a side note, wasn't it much more fun just making fun of the band name though? I think it's a lot easier than sitting down and listening to an album. :)
 
Well, that's the point of the post. I'm cleary getting older, wiser and less judgmental. I'm becoming the person that the young CDP would find very boring and un-cool.

But you know what? The young CDP was a freaking retard, and I hate him.

Really though, it's a damn good album.
 
Wow, there may be hope for you yet. Bread was one of my favorite's also; and I always thought that if I had a daughter, I would name her Aubry, just because of that song. Now, if we can just get you to listen to the Cowsills.
 
Yeah, Aubrey totally came out of nowhere for me. It was about 8 songs into the album, and I was just listening on my headphones while I was working on an Excel spreadsheet or something.

About two minutes in, I stopped what I was doing altogether, because I started to realize that I was listening to a really beautiful song. By the time it was done, I was wrecked.

It was amazing, and the fact that I never heard it before really put me in the same place that I imagined everyone else was when it hit the radio for the first time. Who knew? Bread rules.
 
Also, I'm way behind the times on this, but I was going around the web and looking at literally hundreds of women who were named Aubrey because of the song. That's amazing to me.
 
I first heard that album at about 15 at my grandmother's house, I was bored and playing old records that my mom and uncles owned. I, too, thought it would suck and was pleasantly surprised.

On SUnday, driving back from Baton ROuge, I realized how old I'm getting when I realized I had been listening to a soft rock station for an hour.
 
Mmm...bread.
 
Yeah, I know what that's like. All of a sudden, you become intensely aware that you've been listening to Air Supply for 45 minutes, and you're like, "Well, I might as well just find the nearest bridge and jump."



/Likes Air Supply.
//Still kind of sad, though.
 
Well, at least we're not listening to Yanni and Kenny G...yet.
 
That's the end of the line, right there. New Age is a subterranean level of suck-assy-ness that shall never be inhabited by yours truly.

Well...Kenny G is kind of funny. And he's really talented and...
 
My aunt and cousin went to see Kenny G in concert once. I bet that was really very exciting.
 
The sky would have to rain $100 bills made of cocaine and hookers to make that show the least bit enjoyable.
 
Regarding Kenny G, The Onion once again reminds us why it's the best satirical weekly newspaper in the world: http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/no_one_sets_out_to_be_a_smooth

That it's the only such paper doesn't detract from its perfection.
 
The Onion is so good, that any other satirical paper pales in comparison. They have the market well-covered. It's one of Madison's greatest exports.

MISSUS - I got the Simpsons tickets.
 
Man, if it ever rains $100 bills made of cocaine and hookers, I hope I die that day, because it's all going to be downhill from there.

Enjoy the Simpsons movie, you two. I wish I could go...but I'm working.
 
I'll dish out a full review on Monday, yo!
 
That movie better not suck, or I'm gonna be really mad.
 
The word around the campfire is that it delivers the goods, like any good (current) episode of The Simpsons would. It's not a letdown, and it doesn't have people rolling in the isles; it's just a good, funny movie.
 
Also a Bread sympathizer!

And being a HUGE Elvis fan, I was excited to find a bootleg of Elvis doing an impromptu version of the Bread classic "If" in concert once.

It isn't every day where you wake up and expect to hear Elvis covering Bread.
 
Wow, that's rad. Proof of Bread's legacy.

If Elvis showed up today and played Eddie Money covers, my head would explode.
 
I have a Bread album in my pathetic little vinyl collection, but I've never listened to it. I will now though.
 
I had a similar reaction to discovering Bread in my Dad's music collection. But I gave it a chance since I quite liked my Dad's taste in music (I will defend Paul Anka, The Hollies and the life any day!).
Great entry - I like your comment "I didn't deserve to hear it until I was ready to appreciate it."
I feel sad for young people who roll their eyes and disregard the music/art/culture older generations - they don't know what they're missing and don't realize that these oldies paved the way for contemporary musicians/artist.
I love Bread!
 

Post a Comment

<< Home