Monday, September 3

The CDP 2007 Fall TV Preview.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For the third year in a row, the CDP presents to you the Annual Fall TV Preview. Again, the following represents what the CDP will be watching this upcoming season, along with a few suggestions as to what you should be viewing this season, as well.

This season.....man. I can't remember a new season of television with so few promising new shows. In fact, I'll only be checking out about 5 new shows, and I only plan on continuing to watch about 2 of them after a week. The typical routine of watching the networks try to out-do each other with the same exact premises and formulas has really reached a level of suck that far out-reaches even the last few awful seasons of television combined.

The return of the prime-time soap opera? Show after show about CEO's, corporate executives and wealthy getabouts? Do people actually want to see this crap? Nobody that I spend any time with does, and if you're a fan of this page, chances are you're in the same boat as me. Let's get into it, shall we?

MONDAY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7:00-8:00 - Antiques Roadshow (PBS)

My wife's favorite show returns for another year of crushing dreams and turning inbred hicks into instant millionaires. Why is it that the ugliest stuff is always worth the most?

7:00-9:00 - IFL Battleground (myTV)

With mixed-martial arts finally gathering enough mainstream appeal to be mentioned on SportsCenter, networks are moving heaven and earth to get some sort of MMA programming on their station. The International Fight League may not be the UFC, but it still contains a lot of the rising stars you'd expect to see in the Octagon in a few years. Who knows? One day, you might even see the CDP in the ring, getting his skull crushed to malt powder by some Russian dude.

7:00-10:00 - Monday Night Football (ESPN)

Okay, so Brett Favre's (seemingly) final season with the Green Bay Packers appears to be dismal at best, downright embarrassing at worst. Nevertheless, every NFL game feels important when it's on Monday night, even when David Carr is involved.

8:00-9:00 - Heroes (NBC) - BEST BET!

Will Heroes fizzle out in their sophomore season, or will it cement its place in TV history? Based on early projections and previews, they seem to be getting the job done. Honestly though, I'd watch six hours of men pooping into plastic bags if it was hosted by Hayden Panettiere.

8:00-10:00 - Monday Night Raw (USA)

The #1 rated show on cable television hits you with two hours of live entertainment every week. Regardless of your opinion of the WWE, it remains one of the few truly 'live' shows currently on television, which is always an exciting thing. Throw in a new city, a new venue and 18,000 screaming fans a night, and you have yourself a full-blown spectacle, my friends.

TUESDAY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7:00-7:30 - Cavemen (ABC)

Screw you guys; I'm giving this show a chance. If anything, just to see the train wreck.

7:30-8:00 - Carpoolers (ABC)

One of only a few new shows I plan on watching this season, Carpoolers will hopefully be the Sons & Daughters or Arrested Development of the 2007 season. Starring Fred Goss (creator and star of Sons & Daughters) and produced by Bruce McCulloch (Kids in the Hall,) it's a single-camera show about...carpoolers. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.


8:00-9:00 - House (FOX) - BEST BET!

Season 4 of House is looking to be pretty interesting, in that Dr. House lost his entire staff during the season 3 finale. Early commercials indicate that he will be hiring a new group of understudies, which should give the show a much-needed shakeup. Hugh Laurie is, as always, the best male actor on television, which is reason enough to watch this medical drama. That faux-American accent alone should net him another Emmy.


8:00-9:00 - Dirty Jobs (DISC)

Mike Rowe travels the nation and participates in some of the most disgusting and back-breaking jobs on the planet. That is interesting (and hilarious) enough, but Mike's self-depreciating wit and intelligence really make this show enjoyable. They air this show almost around-the-clock on the Discovery channel, so it's impossible not to give it a chance at some point, you jerk.


9:00-10:00 - Cane (CBS)

This is another new show I feel like giving a chance, merely because it seems so out there with their plot and acclaim. A wealthy Cuban family runs a sugar and rum operation out of South Florida, and it stars Jimmy Smits. What, what?


WEDNESDAY


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7:00-8:00 - Pushing Daisies (ABC) - BEST BET!

Here's another weird new one from ABC. The press release reads: "Pushing Daisies is a forensic fairy tale that focuses on Ned, a piemaker with a mysterious ability to make the dead live again. The gift is not without its complications, however: if he touches this being a second time, they'll be dead permanently. If they live for more than 60 seconds, somebody else nearby will die." This has been the best-reviewed new show of the season, and it claims an extremely dark sense of humor that never lets up. I'm sold, for now.


7:00-8:00 - Kid Nation (CBS)

I'm only watching this because I can't believe it's legal. How cool is that?


8:00-9:00 - Mythbusters (DISC)

The Missus doesn't like Mythbusters because she argues they don't 'solve' anything anymore. That being said, this show about testing Urban Legends in real-life situations is still a ratings smash for Discovery, and is still just as funny and educational as ever. Plus, there's always a chance someone will get killed.


8:00-9:00 - Ghost Hunters (SCI)

Plumbers by day, paranormal investigators by night, Ghost Hunters is the first and only 'ghost' show that takes the skeptical approach to everything. If you enjoy the paranormal, but like to see how people get tricked into believing the unbelievable, this show is fantastic. Not only that, but when they are surprised by something unexplainable, it's just about the scariest thing on television.


9:00-10:00 - The Ultimate Fighter 6 (SPIKE)

It's like American Idol, only the contestants fight each other. Um, need I say more? Hands-down the best reality show on TV, TUF gives aspiring MMA athletes a chance to live in a house together and throw down for a UFC contract. Oh, and Dana White is the baddest-ass mo-fo on the planet.

THURSDAY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7:00-7:30 - My Name Is Earl (NBC)

Kicking off the fantastic NBC Thursday night lineup is Earl. Even though Jason Lee has gone from pro skateboarder to indie film poster boy to stereotypical, rich Scientologist actor, you can still count on Earl to generate the biggest laughs from the darkest places.

7:30-8:00 - 30 Rock (NBC)

What will it take to convince Tina Fey that me and her were meant for each other? To me, all I have to do is hijack a plane to New York City, kidnap Ms. Fey and explain to her why our senses of humor are a perfect match. She's sure to understand and run away with me. Right?

8:00-8:30 - The Office (NBC) - BEST BET!

The Office is the funniest, smartest and most well-rounded comedy in years. Long-ago eclipsing the legacy of the UK original, it had made Steve Carrell a bona fide star and convinced the academy and general public that different is almost always better. If only we could have seen the same thing happen with Arrested Development and Sons & Daughters.

8:00-9:00 - TNA Impact (SPIKE)

In recent months, I've been kind of embarrassed to watch this show. Never mind. They are, however, getting another hour added to their schedule, so they have that going for them.

9:00-10:00 - UFC Unleashed (SPIKE)

Are you a new fan to the MMA game? Do you want to get all caught up with who the rising stars and grizzled veterans are in the UFC? Unleashed shows 3-5 classic UFC fights a night for absolutely free, which is absolutely freaking fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

FRIDAY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7:00-8:00 - Deal Or No Deal? (NBC)

I won't be watching Deal Or No Deal. I just wanted to have at least 5 shows spotlighted each night. I have OCD. Like Howie Mandel. See how I tied that all together? Now if you'll excuse me, I need to alphabetize my socks again.

7:00-8:00 - American Band (FOX)

It's like American Idol, but with bands! The potential for suckitude is at critical mass with this one, which only makes it more appealing to me. If there's one thing funnier than a terrible musician, it's a terrible group of musicians.

7:00-9:00 - Friday Night Smackdown (CW)

I was shown on this show once, so I wanted to mention it. The Missus, too. I TiVo'ed it. It was pretty cool.

8:00-9:00 - Friday Night Lights (NBC) - BEST BET EVER!

Listen up and listen good. Friday Night Lights is the best show on television. It's better than Lost, it's better than 24 and it's better than Grey's Anatomy. It boasts the best cast, the best cinematography, the best music, the best writing and the best theme. I love it, the Missus loves it; I've even gotten my friends to love it. You will love it.

In an unprecedented move, NBC is currently selling the First Season of FNL for $20. They're even offering a money-back guarantee if you don't like it. As this is a seriously critically-acclaimed show (the best reviewed show of 2007, as well as the most-nominated show) with low ratings, NBC did what FOX should have done with Arrested Development and put their faith behind the product. To hopefully boost the Season Two ratings and appeal to their already-rabid fanbase, they are essentially giving the DVD's away because they are certain you'll love the show. I promise you, it's that good. Spend $20 on the DVD, and prepare for Season Two of your new favorite show.

9:00-10:00 - 20/20 (ABC)

Holy crap, this show is still on? Rad!

SATURDAY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

7:00-7:30 - Cops (FOX)

It's amazing to me that there are still two shows on FOX that premiered at the same time the network itself premiered. The Simpsons won't run forever, but Cops sure will.

7:00-8:00 - Dateline (NBC)

"Why don't you have a seat over there, I have a few questions for you. My name is Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC, and we're currently shooting the Greatest Reality Show Sting Of All-Time. Is there anything you'd like to say at this time?"

7:00-10:00 - Saturday College Football (ABC)

I once saw legendary Wisconsin Badger coach Barry Alvarez at a Wal-Mart in Madison. I didn't follow him around long enough to see what he was buying, but I'm assuming it was something awesome.

7:30-8:00 - Cops (FOX)

Because one shirtless, blurry guy just isn't enough.

10:30-12:00 - Saturday Night Live (NBC) - BEST BET!

The current cast of SNL is fantastic, and this might be one of the best seasons in recent memory. Their writing is strong, their male and female cast is tight, Weekend Update is as funny as ever, and the Lonely Island's Digital Shorts have put SNL back into the teenage and college-aged viral market. Not too bad for a show that's over 30 years old.

SUNDAY

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6:00-7:00 - AFV (ABC)

I heard that Ricki Lake was to be joining on as the host of AFV this season. Are they trying to get canceled? If there's one way to ruin a potentially-endless formula for humor, it's a woman that made a career of ignorance and paternity tests.

7:00-7:30 - The Simpsons (FOX) - BEST BET!

The Simpsons has altered my personality and sense of humor in ways I'll never be able to fully comprehend. In fact, it's done the same thing for pretty much everyone else in the nation worth talking to.

7:00-8:00 - Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (ABC)

Ty Pennington is contractually obligated to take his shirt off every week on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Watch as him and his crew of whining crybabies build an amazingly beautiful home for someone who will be dead in six months anyways. Nah, I'm just kidding, I really like this show. Mainly because they really do build some great houses. Every time I'm done watching it, I always spend hundreds of dollars at Sears for some reason.

7:00-10:00 - Sunday Night Football (NBC)

Al Michaels and John "Complete Drunk" Madden return for the latest season of Sunday Night Football. The fact that they air this at 7pm means that it always runs until close to midnight, so it's sort of a pain to have a Packer game on a Sunday night. Fortunately, nobody cares but me.

7:30-8:00 - King Of The Hill (FOX)

King of the Hill is like a Golden Retriever. Loyal, dependable and always there when you need it. For a while, King of the Hill was consistently funnier than The Simpsons, priding itself on an animated show that could be shot live action with little to no changes. The anti-cartoon, if you will. Mike Judge is a genius, and he shows that with incredible subtle dignity on this show.

MIDSEASON

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Time/Day TBD - The It Crowd (NBC)

This is a new American comedy based on a successful British comedy of the same name. Quite frankly, I don't know too much more about it, but I'm giving it a shot when Midseason rolls around.

Monday - 8:00 - 24 (FOX)

I won't be watching 24, but I have an idea of how it's going to go. For such an original and groundbreaking idea, it's gotten pretty tired as of late. Whatever; it'll win an armload of Emmys, so what do I know?

Tuesday - 7:00 - American Idol (FOX)

Okay, so season 6 of AI was pretty terrible; I think we can all admit that. But the ratings were as high as ever, and there's still proof that Idol's stars have immense success on the music shelves. Let's just hope that season 7 will finally give us a winner we can all get behind.

Friday - 8:00 - Jericho (CBS)

Proof that if you whine loud enough, CBS will fold like a house of wet cards. Way to go, nerds!

Wednesday - 8:00 - Lost (ABC) - BEST BET!

Season 4 of Lost once again propels us into a completely different plot and way of telling the story. More new characters, flashbacks and flashforwards, the promise that the story won't end with our beloved castaways simply getting off of the island; Lost is continually re-writing the television drama, and they're only halfway through telling their story. Now that's scary.

By the way, Season 3 of Lost Friday will return in February. I knew you were wondering.

CANCELLED

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Andy Barker, PI. (NBC)

So long, Andy Richter. Again. I watched your show. Unfortunately, nobody else did.

The Nine (ABC)

If you want to air a successful television show, you need to have a cast that people, you know, actually give more than two damp craps about.

Six Degrees (ABC)

See above criticism. Repeat as necessary.

Veronica Mars (CW)

I thought that this show was doing so well. What happened? I also read that Kristen Bell turned down the opportunity to be a cast member on Lost, so expect to never see her again, ever.....

Studio 60 (NBC) - BEST BET!

Rest in peace, show that didn't know what it wanted to be. Godspeed; I never missed an episode.

So, there you have it. A little peek at the new season, as well as a peek into what I'll be up to until May. Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your week. The CDP will return with new content on Friday.

FRIDAY - Hog Wash!
ALSO FRIDAY - Mix-Tapes Are Due In The Mail!


Comments:
"I also ready that Kristen Bell turned down the opportunity to be a cast member on Lost, so expect to never see her again, ever."

Except on a little show you might have heard of called Heroes.
 
I was sort of kidding, but thanks for mentioning the info for those out of the loop. Still though, turning down Lost for Heroes is like buying a Creed album when you could have had the Descendents.
 
I'm commenting out of pure guilt. You give and give comments as if they're free. While I hoard them and suck off their candy-coated shells and keep the rest on a shelf next to my Smurf collection. But even I have my limits. so here's a two-parter...

1. The only thing better than remembering TV is planning for TV.

2. I will finally get to see Heroes now that it's on DVD. (I get no channels)
 
All right, my first Secret Fun Spot comment! I've been linking to you for so long, it's about time you stopped in and returned the favor a bit. :) Here's my two-part response:

1. You and LetsEatPaste have nearly identical senses of humor, from what I can tell. It's borderline scary/neat.

2. Um...did you just say you get no channels? Is that even possible?

Thanks for popping in; don't be a stranger!
 
BEST BET!!!

Reaper! Debuts on Tuesday September 25 on the CW! Thanks to technomagick I was recently able to see the unaired pilot directed by Kevin Smith. This will be the Office.
 
Ummm...I thought I wrote "this will be The Office of '07!!!"
 
Thanks for the heads-up, Comet!
 
I say a dismissive "Feh!" to most of the Fall lineup, but I WILL be watching (or at least relying on my DVR to record): 30 Rock, The Office, the last season of Scrubs, Pushing Daisies and Reaper. And every episode of Good Eats, at least three times, but not by choice. As I eagerly await the return of Lost. Everything else is just filler.
 
I know, it's pretty depressing. I might actually get caught up on a lot of reading this year, and that's just sad.
 
As much as none of this post affects me, I'll be sure to watch 'Friday Night Lights', when/if it is ever released in England.

Ever think of making a 'Friday Night Lights Sunday'?

THAT would be worth reading purely 'cos I came up with the title.
 
In 2004, I signed a contract with my wife that promised I wouldn't write any new material on the weekends. I'd do it on Monday, but by that point, nobody would care. Believe me, though, Friday Night Lights is tremendous.
 
Reading is never a bad thing - I was thinking the other day of all of the books I've read this summer, in the absence of good tv. My husband will be glad when the new season starts back up, since I won't be spending a small fortune on Amazon and at the local bookstores, and every time he turns around I won't have my nose buried in a book.
 
Unless of course, it's the CDP's book you're reading.
 
Delayed until October, I'm afraid.
 
What no mention of the Sarah Connor Chronicles?! COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIIIIIIIVE!
http://www.fox.com/fallpreview/new/sarahconnorchronicles-video.htm
 
Heh-heh...these are just shows that I'll be watching, not specifically what you'll be watching. I was going to give the Connor Chronicles a chance, but then I realized that I hated the Terminator franchise.
 
I'll get into FNL if you get back into Family Guy.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Sorry, dude; it's just not comparable. That's like telling me you'll eat a steak if I crap my pants. What's in it for me?

I've narrowed my mix-tape track listing down to a lean 106. I'll try to cut that number down a bit tonight, unless I feel like mailing out a 10-disk box set.
 
What's in it for you !?!?!

How about the best comedy NOT named the Office on television? How about a FOX-toon that lapped the Simpsons TWO years ago?

No, you're right. Skip the Family Guy. It'd bring no comedic value to your life.

I don't even know who you are, anymore.
 
The Family Guy goes to Duke...seriously.
 
Beh-heh-heh...I know, I know.

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey CDP, you must like Family Guy, right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of Family Guy, CDP!" I am nothing like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangeable joke after another!

(Stolen from South Park and re-worded.)

All I need to know about Family Guy is that the creators of The Simpsons, South Park and Ren & Stimpy hate them with a blistering passion. Those dudes are responsible for 3 of the most popular, groundbreaking and original animated televisions shows in history. They have about a billion Emmys apiece and have no reason whatsoever to be jealous.

Sure, the jokes and one-liners are funny enough, but 300 one-liners about pop culture and randomness does not a good television show make. A good Blog or YouTube clip, maybe, but not good TV.

Just my opinion, folks; please don't rip my head off.
 
Yo head sho am gonna get ripped off, boy!
 
The Missus has gone 'street.'
 
Nah, I's gone all Eli Whitney on ya's!
 
Vaguely racist, but I'll allow it.
 
Agree to disagree.

CDP, please inform Hathery she has been shunned.
 
Missus, shun on.

On an unrelated topic, Geek Kon 2007 is coming to Madison, and they're bringing a Guitar Hero II tournament along with them!

I'm registered as one of the 16 competitors, and I already have Killer Sandbox Productions on board to document the entire occasion.

Normally, I wouldn't give a sci-fi/anime/RPG/general nerdery festival the time of day, but it's local, the kids are working hard on it, and I have the chance to prove once and for all that I'm the best GHII shredder in the Midwest. Rawk.
 
All through my school career, it was told to me over and over that Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin. No photograph of Mr. Whitney accompanied this proclamation, nor was there really any explanation of what a cotton gin did. We were simply told that he invented said gin, and that this invention was important to the cotton industry. For whatever reason, I always assumed that Eli Whitney was white.

As a much wiser(?) adult, it now occurs to me: why would a white man create something to make picking cotton easier on black slaves?

I am dumb, and I learned nothing in American History. Except that Eli Whitney created the cotton gin. And I still have no idea what a cotton gin is.
 
It was pretty important; you might want to Wikipedia it. Industrial Revolution and all.

Architecture In Helsinki is playing the High Noon Saloon on Tuesday, October 23. I am the proud owner of 2 tickets.
 
What time?
 
Show starts at 8pm. I know it's a weekday, but I still bought 2 tickets in case you wanted to come along. Such a small venue; should be a blast.
 
Manatees LOVE Family Guy.

My husband has been reffing Family Guy on his part-time weekend radio dj gig as of late. It seems to get laughs. Of course, half of their listening audience is drunk and the other half is under 14. So there you go.
 
MST3K perfected the one-liner back in 1988, and everyone has been playing catch-up ever since.
 
Yeah well, silent film perfected the NO-liner way before that, so...put that in your pipe and smoke it! Damn elitist bastards.
 
You're a no-liner! Why you got's ta be startin' fightz?

The Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers all play tonight. I'll be burning through remote control batteries like crazy.
 
Family Guys great to watch now and then on Youtube, but the show is relativly boring. I mean, 1 in 10 one-liners are funny...although...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8crOhMvSweg

Sorry if im not supposed to post hyperlinks.

In other news, I completly fell out with my friend, because I'm a devoted Lost fan (it's how I found this page), whereas he loves the mindless cliche crap on Heroes.

DO NOT try me on this arguement, as I will not lose! My friend tried, failed, and threw a book at my head.
 
Moe- I completely agree with you about Family Guy. The CDP likes The Simpsons but hates Family Guy. My wife Hates The Simpsons but likes Family Guy. I have a feeling that if they ever meet, the fabric of space/time will be in dire jeapardy.

Hathery- Cotton Gin is a highly alcoholic tincture banned in 49 countries worldwide. If you really are curious about it I'm sure JT knows a guy.

**Guilty Confession**

I am a reality TV junkie. Not the dating shows or wife swap crap. Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race, the PBS historical recreations. I am an amateur study of sociology. These shows fascinate me to know end. I look forward to them every year.
 
Lost > Heroes, no argument necessary. I won't even be watching Heroes this season.

JT - Hook me up with some Cotton Gin!

Blustacon - That's the same reason I'm looking forward to Kid Nation. Mainly because I know these kids aren't mugging for the camera. That's REAL emotion, there!
 
If I've said it once, I've said it 1,000 times.

You're my boy, Blu!
 
If I were a better human being, I'd let this Family Guy thing go...but I'm not, so be it.

I heard that Joe Montana, Tom Brady, and John Elway each thought that Brett Favre was a douche. I guess that's all I need to know about the alleged best QB of the 90's.

Brett Favre (and his pain medication) was part of the Duke Lacrosse scandal.





Oh, and I never heard from my mixed-tape partner. After hearing about his blog, I completely understand that he's busy. Shall I send just one copy of the mixed-tape to you? Maybe send another copy to the person who's making my mixed-tape? Perhaps I could jump in front of a burning Metro Train?
 
Cotton gin? You got it.

Did anyone watch the Clemson game Monday night?
 
JT - I'd like to think that Maryland ruined FSU three years ago when we beat them at Byrd Stadium. They were ranked #5 in the country and seriously contending for a BCS bid. They haven't been the same since.

It's always nice to see FSU lose, especially in their season opener. I thought it was risky for Clemson to schedule that game so early considering they have a new QB. Their RB tandem is phenomenal, though.
 
I'll second that Brett Favre is a douche. I think we should trade him, just to see what would happen.

Kevin from Pointless Banter, where art thou??? If he doesn't give you his address, I'm sure the CDP will send you his mixtape--I hear he's got quite the tape in the works.
 
I'm currently slogging--yes, slogging--through the Heroes DVDs. Someone please explain to me why Heroes is even back for a second season. The producers should be paying Stan Lee royalties. Is it that Lost has simply spoiled me?
 
Moe, I understand that you were trying to razz me with the whole Brett Favre thing, but I'm actually going to agree with you on that one. His glory has faded, and I've been told he's not a very nice guy. I'd like to think otherwise, but I just can't.

Brett Favre watches Family Guy.

Lott, after Lost, I couldn't really get too fired up about Heroes, either. I mean, it's good and all, but we'll see how it's holding up come Season 4.

Moe, if Kevin doesn't get a hold of you, I'd recommend e-mailing him one more time today. Worst-case-scenario, the wait could spill into next week, but I'll see what I can do. Keep in touch about this, and I'll try to work some magic.

I'd send you my mix, but it's geared toward a female listener, and you'd think it was fruity.
 
For me, it's not a big deal if Kevin doesn't respond because he's receiving my tape. JT's on the ball and will be sending me his efforts. So, I'll be receiving a tape/CD whether Kevin responds or not. As it stands, I'll wait to hear from him. I can send it to him, anytime. I'll still shoot one out to you.

Hathery - Unshun
Though our relationship will never be what it once was after your slanderous comments about Family Guy, I am willing to "forget" said comments since you feel the star of There's Something About Mary is a total douchebag as well.
 
I just talked to Kevin. He's sending his tape out on Friday, and I informed him that you don't have his mailing address. I also send out a reminder e-mail to everyone just in case. I haven't received my recipiant's address, either. It's still Wednesday, though.

I'm the CDP, and I solve problems.
 
Moe - Be prepared. This mix CD will be so awesome it may be lethal to listen to it more than once.

CDP - You will receive a copy as well.

I hope you boys like to polka.
 
The Wisconsin State Tune is the Polka. I'm down.
 
I hope you boys like to polka.

Can we get to know each other a little better first? Maybe grab a bite to eat?
 
You forgot Amazing Race! Best Reality Show. Ever.

I have the envelopes addressed to the victim, er, receptant of my mix. It will totally change you think about music from now one.

Okay, that's stretching it. But it's pretty damn good if I do say so myself.
 
MIKEHOSS - Awesome, Mike. Next week should be cool, everyone getting packages in the mail and all. I want everyone to sound off on here when they receive their mix, so we all know what's up.

BLUSTACON - That reminds me of a slightly dirty story concerning me and another male friend at a party.

He was walking a bottle of beer over to me, when he opened the top and it started foaming everywhere. Concerned it would spill on the carpet, he thrust it in my direction and screamed, "SUCK IT! SUCK IT!"

"Damn dude, slow down," I said. "Take me out to dinner first."

It got a good laugh. I was pretty proud of myself.
 
Am I a little pre-mature if I send out my mixed-tape today?
 
Not at all! The deadline was Friday, not the date when we should all ship out.
 
The CDP can verify that I make cracks about Brett Favre every chance I get. Here in Wisconsin, I may as well be making jokes about Jesus himself. "Brett Favre looks like a bowling ball" is my favorite.
 
I braved a two-block walk to the post office and an extremely rude post office worker, but I dropped my mix CD's in the mail over lunch.

CDP and Julia -- May God have mercy on your souls.
 
All right! Thanks, Mike!

I just finished up my mixes today, too. Cargirl's getting a 4-disc, 72 song, themed masterpiece. One of my better works, if I may say so myself.
 
Will's getting a 40-minute operetta I composed in GarageBand called "Ode to Laika: Thou Art a Fine Hog."
 
Now I feel like such a slacker. I have my mix CD 90% done (I need to finalize the order and make a sweet liner), but I've been putting it off all week. Stupid work and school, always getting in the way of my completing things. I have cleared my entire evening to finish it though. F-off Women in Society homework, I've got more important things to do.

Also, 4 CDs? Color me impressed.
 
The CDP never does anything simple, although his 4 cd's pale in comparison to my operetta. It it will you to tears...possibly even move your bowels.
 
A 4 CD mix is generally a sign of someone not decisive. I'm a minimalist in the Mix trade.

Perfection on a mix takes time. You can take out songs that are good for by themselves, but may not fix the mood you are trying to create. It's okay to let things you love out, if it makes the end result stronger. Whittle away the coal, and only then will the diamond appear.

That's generally speaking, of course. You can have one Jam Band song last 40 minutes. Then what are you going to do?
 
4 CDs?? Crap. I'm almost done with my one CD, but not quite there. I have to finish the liner, and I forgot to get CD labels. Maybe if I run up to Staples or Target after yard work tonight I can find some. Then off in the mail it goes tomorrow. I'll have to pretend I have important business in another building and sneak off the the post office.
 
HATHERY - That Hog Movement sounds divine; I can't wait.

JULIA - Sure, women in society is important, but women making mix-tapes is far cooler. Listen to your heart.

MIKEHOSS - Each of my 4 CD's represents a season, and contains exactly 60 minutes of songs that I feel best represent the specific seasons in theme and mood. The theme is "60 Minutes In....(Winter, Spring, Summer, Autumn). I even have colored CD cases for each season (Orange=Summer, Blue=Winter, etc.). I have liner notes inside explaining each song and why it's on the mix. Cargirl had better give me her address, because it's tailor-made just for her.

MAUS - Good on you! I'm pretty excited about it.
 
I need more than a week if you people want liner notes. I felt rushed throughout this whole process. I took this thing a little too seriously and ended up giving a sub-par effort because I knew that one week wouldn't allow me enough time to sample my mix 543 times. Overall, I like the CD I made, but it lacks liner notes, a fancy case, and my 100% effort.

Generally speaking, it takes me about 3-4 weeks to prepare the annual road trip mix for my beach trip with the guys. It's only 3 hours of music, but it has to be perfect. The tempo, the transition, the diversity of music that would only please the other people in the car, etc...To date, I haven't let them down.

Kevin, I hope you like at least four of the twenty songs I sent you. CDP, I know you'll enjoy two of them.

Thanks again for putting this together.
 
Yeah Moe, I know that it was kind of a quick process, but my mindset was that the further away the deadline was, the less people would actually want to do it when the time came. In this case, people didn't have a chance to get sick of the idea, and it worked. At least, I hope it worked.

Can't wait for the mix; I seriously can't wait for packages in my mailbox all next week. I have a Dillon Panthers shirt en route, 4 tickets to the Brewer game, and about 10 different mix-tapes. Awesome; thanks everyone.

Mail 'em out!
 
I sure hope Will likes hedgehog-themed operettas that are offkey and poorly produced.
 
Moe - I'm also lacking liner notes, so don't feel bad.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home