Friday, September 14

I Want That Trophy, So Dance Good.

Look at me go!

What a stupid week.

During any normal weekday afternoon for me, I'd come home from another problem-free day at the office, opting to unwind at Headquarters by catching up on some writing, answering e-mails or further editing my book. People would always praise me for my ambitious efforts, claiming that when they punch out for the day, all they want to do is fall in front of the television and drift off to sleep. I never understood these people, as I find it nearly impossible to relax when I have so much to do in the world of entertaining strangers and further alienating friends.

Now I get it. If you hate your job, it's pretty damn hard to be creative. Who knew?

If you hate your job, you don't have the time or effort to do anything but hate your job. The last two weeks at work have been embarrassingly rough for me, and it's causing me to become nothing short of a worthless mongoloid around the house. I get home, refuse to even step into my office or open the mailbox, and collapse in front of SportsCenter until the Missus comes home and makes me a pizza. I'm falling behind on deadlines, I haven't touched the CDP Book in weeks, and I don't even have the energy to care. I just don't feel like exuding effort when I'm in a bad mood, which is the mantra that most normal people have been following for years now. I'm just catching onto the apathetic trend.

I'll slip out of this funk quickly, but for now, I'm stuck and don't care to be saved. Soon enough, I'll listen to all of those mix-tapes and detail each and every track on this page. Soon enough, I'll write that Dane 101 article that I promised them I'd have today. Soon enough, I'll finish this Goddamn book and make dozens of dollars in royalties. Not today, though. Not even tomorrow.

Being lazy and falling behind on deadlines is cheap and sad. There's no excuse, other than being an ass who's unable to properly manage your time. But after experiencing 10 full days of what it's like to truly not want to go to work in the morning, I think I'm starting to see where it's justified.

Oh, everything will go back to normal before you know it, but until then, you'll know where to find me. Enjoy your weekend, kids.

Comments:
Why do you hate your job? Can you do something about that? If not, it at least must be a source of a good rant or two.
 
I don't hate my job, that's the problem. There's been new software implemented that has made my job impossible to do for a few weeks at the bugs get worked out. This 'hurry up and wait' mentality is driving everyone at the office crazy, but none more than me.

For someone with as much anxiety as myself, not being able to do something you need to do is gut-wrenching. I just want to do my job and go home, and I'm hitting snags with every turn.

I wish I could make a few good rants about it, but it's rather boring and a ton of co-workers read this stuff. I'm logical to know that the moment is only fleeting, but until it's lifted, I'm officially in a funk of epic funk proportions.
 
Do what I always do when I'm frustrated with work: drink heavily, take your pants off, and tackle one of your neighbors*.

While it may get you arrested, it's a hell of a stress releiver.

*not a little boy or girl, though. Pantsless tackling of kids is considered higly innappropriate by law enforcement officials.
 
But pantsless tackling IS my job! Woe is me!

I'll be fine. Things are already going better today. I'm leaving at noon to drive 75 minutes north to my Mom's, and I'll have plenty of time to listen to a few mixes. That alone has made my day.
 
Ben and Sherry will be coming over tonight---let the pantsless tacking begin!
 
Tacking? Uh-oh, another weekend of kinkiness, I see. I'm still sore from Labor Day.
 
EEEEW.
 
For the record, that's 2 cats cleaning each other on the couch in that picture. Not a monster.
 
Is there something fun called "tacking" that I don't know about?
 
Well, there is now, Domsar. It will involve a box of thumbtacks, two Vodka Tonics, very dim lighting and at least 3 confused people.

Those are my two cats on the couch, cleaning each other like loving lovers would. I'm sucking on an ice cube, which explains the idiot face. I sure do look comfy with that sweater on, though.
 
Don't worry, it's just that time of the year. I've been exhausted lately, having a hard time getting going in the morning, and at night, it takes extra motivation to not want to doze off on the couch. It just suddenly happened.

I thought it was just stress from the house sale and impending move.

But then I noticed that so many other people have this same amount of lethargy. So I think it's something in the air.

I'm banking on waking up one morning in two weeks and being like one of those bears who wakes up from his winter slumber and has tons of energy. Like the Hamms bear or something.
 
I agree, Bruce. It's just something that happens seasonally. Although current work situations certainly don't help, I know for a fact that certain times of year hit me hard.

You know that 'Post-Holiday Depression' everyone talks about, where the suicide rate spikes every year around February? Yeah, I can feel that, and it sucks.

"From the land of sky blue waters...Hamms, the beer refreshing...Hamms..."
 
My hedgehog is grumpy, too, but she is going through her 9 week quilling. You all should consider yourself lucky that you don't have sharp points protruding through your skin every which where.
 
I'll know how that feels when we're all tacking each other tonight.


Hey-oh!
 
I repeat....EWWWW.
 
Well luckily for me, I don't have to get a job for another 4 or so years. Although, pantsless neighbour tackling/tacking is incredibly enjoyable, just for the hell of it!

And who sucks ice-cubes!?
 
The CDP's sister, that's who. Nonstop.
 
I'm grumpy because I'm hungover and my air conditioner is broken.
 
That is a terrible combination :(
 
Hey! I'm having a pretty crappy day at work too. A pick-up and walk out the door and never look back kind of day. So to the statement "If you hate your job, you don't have the time or effort to do anything but hate your job.", I say: "This."

I might be having a friend come over to help me drink my troubles away while watching Will Ferrell movies, though. So that's getting the weekend off on the right track.
 
Wow, everyone's really having a miserable kind of day in CDP-land...
 
Seriously. A friend of mine just died on a motorcycle in Oconomowoc today. Talk about miserable day. Can we just skip this week?
 
Oh my, that serious sucks. I am very sorry to hear that :(
 
Gosh, I'm so sorry about that. I was glad to see everyone venting along with me today (misery loves company), but that's a different kind of hurt altogether. Keep your head up.

Bruce was right. We're all in this together.
 
Wow...being an adult must suck.

The worst pain I've had this week is getting stiff shoulders from doing to many press-ups in judo (about 10).

Hope it gets better for you guys.
 
What's a press-up?
 
I'm grumpy because I'm hungover and my air conditioner is broken.


You still need an AC? I'm jealous.
 
I'm sure you're all peachy now, but I'll chime in anyway.
Over time my day job effects me less and less on an emotional level. These days it's like I'm astral projecting at the office.
This is both a good and a bad thing.
On the occasion that meetings do become soul-crushing, I take Michael Stipe's advice to Thom Yorke and I say to myself "I'm not here. This isn't happening." which does seem to help.
But you've already said it's a temporary software thing so the end is in sight which is more than most folks can say about their issues.

Also, don't know if this applies, but I like it, and think there's some truth to it...
http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000889.html
Read that section and then read the whole thing...
http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000932.html
 
That, my friend, has been bookmarked. See, this is why I link to you. Thanks!

With all the Tony Robbins-es and various other self-help idiots with headsets and shiny teeth, it's always good to see a guide to success for the common creative person. It's not about money, it's about being able to do what you want without eating cheese sandwiches for 8 years.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home