Thursday, November 22

CDP Mix-Tape Trade Wrap Party (Part 8 of 9).

Mix-Tape Trade Wrap Party - Moe Greene.

Ever since the CDP Nationwide Mix-Tape Trade ended a couple months ago, people have been harping on me about reviewing their mix. Time constraints were getting in the way at the time, but while I'm waiting for my book to go to publication, I have a week to really sit down and pick apart these works that CDP readers were kind enough to mail to me.

I set the rules for listening to and reviewing the assorted mixes as follows: I would write in complete stream-of-consciousness mode while each song played (hence the poor grammar and possible spelling errors), and stop writing as soon as the song was over. Any pausing or skipping tracks was not allowed. I was listening for songs that I liked, along with the general flow and mood you'd expect from a decent mix-tape. I listened to every mix through headphones and without outside distraction.

My eighth reviewed mix belongs to a man that might actually hate Duke University more than I do, Moe Greene. Here we go.

1. Chinese People - Jerry Seinfeld

It made sense to me to have Moe start off his mix with a joke. Coming from the 'I'm Telling You For The Last Time' album, I always got a kick out of this bit about Eastern tradition. All things considered, the rest of Seinfeld's album is actually pretty decent.

2. The Mixed Tape - Jacks' Mannequin

Ahh, I get it. Instead of setting a particular mix-tape theme, he instead tosses in a self-referential song about the mix itself. Clever. This is a catchy, radio-friendly rock track that I found myself rocking out too a little too much; almost embarrassingly so. This would be something I would listen to alone in the car, then pop back in LCD Soundsystem when it's time to impress someone.

3. Midnight Show - The Killers

Every time I hear The Killers, I wonder why Hot Hot Heat isn't more popular. I mean, I have every album by both bands, I see hardly no difference in hooks, songwriting and lyricism, yet The Killers are significantly more mainstream. Maybe it's that fruity perm that the HHH lead singer sports.

That all being said, I've always liked this track. Typical Killers fare; sexy, driving, pulsing and even more sexy.

4. No, It Isn't - +44


When Blink 182 broke up, I was already tired of listening to them, so I never gave their many offshoot bands a chance. Mark always had the better voice, Tom was funnier, Travis was the most talented and Scott Raynor looked exactly like an old friend of mine.

The truth of the matter is that they can write a popular song; there's no denying that. Hell, I spent the bulk of my high school years learning to play all of their songs on the drums (mission accomplished, by the way). The elitist jerk in me would like this song more if it weren't created by a washed up pop-punk star, but it's really quite listenable.

5. Susanne - Weezer

Awesome, now we're getting somewhere. It always struck me that three of the best Weezer songs of all-time were for soundtracks (Susanne, Jamie, You Gave Your Love To Me Softly). I haven't heard this song in awhile, and it basically frustrates the hell out of me concerning the Weezer of the 21st Century. Remember Pinkerton? The Blue Album? The Angus soundtrack? Grrr.

6. Time Turned Fragile - Motion City Soundtrack

I picked up the Motion City Soundtrack debut disk a few years ago, and I dug it plenty. They're one of a few Alternative Press-style bands that don't annoy me to pieces (yet I continue to purchase the magazine for some reason). Swirling synth lines, quirky lyrics, blasting drums and chugging guitars, they're Warped Tour main stage material, which is awesome or terrible, depending on how you look at it.

7. Popular - Nada Surf

Oh no, you didn't just go old school! I like this mix of 90's and 00's alternative rock. It's like, "This was awesome, and this is what happened to everything afterwards." Nada Surf is still releasing amazing music; The Proximity Effect and Let Go are amazing albums, and really establish them as more than a one-hit-wonder of Alternative Nation.

Quick side note. I saw Nada Surf in concert about 6 years ago, and they played this song. It was divine.

I'm sure he'll like it.
Everyone will appreciate it.
You're so novel.
What a good idea.
You can keep your time to your self.
You don't need date insurance.
You can go out with whoever you want to.
Every boy!
Every boy in the whole world could be yours!
If you'll just listen to my plan...
The Teenage Guide...To Popularity!!!

8. Lazy Eye - Silversun Pickups

Another mix, another cut of Lazy Eye. That's cool with me; I've really enjoyed hearing this song this year. Like I said before, the nostalgia is amazing, the girl in the video is obsession-worthy and it makes me feel 13 again. What more could you possibly want from a song released in 2007?

9. The Best Of Me - The Starting Line

I like The Starting Line, and I'll tell you why. First off, my band played a show with them many years ago, when they were just up-and-coming (we played with a lot of these bands, actually, which may explain my love/hate relationship with some of them). They were sweet kids, they resonated with the crowd well and wrote solid songs.

Secondly, they're full of ultimate WIN simply for having the balls to record 'Bedroom Talk.' The line "I'm gonna tear your ass up like we just got married" is one of my favorite lyrics in the history of pop-punk.

Again, a good old school/new school mix. Moe shares some of my music tastes in this regard. The appreciation for a good song, regardless of what washed-up scene it came from.

10. Sell Out - Reel Big Fish

See? What did I tell you? Third-wave ska? Sure! Sell Out is one of my favorite ska tunes of all-time, and I've seen RBF at least 7 times in the last 10 years. If anyone knows about my musical background, I'm mainly a ska-punk drummer, and I've played along to this song in my headphones many a time as a teenager. RBF hit their peak with Why Do They Rock So Hard?, but their live show is still worthy of your cash.

If anyone wants to talk about ska in the comments section, that would be just awesome. It's been forever since I had a good conversation about this constantly disrespected genre.

11. Hey Jealousy - Hit The Lights

Moe, your mix is starting to grow on me. This punked-out cover of the Gin Blossoms classic is slightly annoying, but not enough to take away from the amazingness of the original song. Hey Jealousy is a modern rock masterpiece, plain and simple, and I still haven't grown tired of it. I don't know what the general consensus is on the Gin Blossoms, but damn, how can you deny this track?

I feel all warm and fuzzy right now. I think that as the days have progressed, I've grown more and more soft reviewing these mixes. My apologies to the first few people that had to feel my unnecessary wrath. I love this song.

12. Under Pressure - My Chemical Romance (w/The Used)

I hate this song. I hated the original, so it only makes sense that I would hate it more when covered by less talented people with less clout and even more homosexual tendencies than David Bowie and Freddie Mercury, if that's even possible in this universe.

13. Hands Down - Dashboard Confessional

Quick story about Hands Down. The first time I heard this song, it was an acoustic track on the end of an old Dashboard EP. It was 2000, I think, and me and the Missus had just started going out. We had spent an amazing night out together, and as I was driving myself home, I listened to this track for the very first time. To my amazement, the night had gone almost exactly the same way as in the song. From that point forward, I pretty much knew that me and the Missus would be together for probably ever. For sentimental value alone, Hands Down is untouchable in my book, but the acoustic version only.

14. Dancing With Myself - Blink 182

Wow, another cover? More Blink 182 stuff? Damn, that's a pretty bold move; it pretty much violates the three main rules of a mix-tape. No covers, no multiple tracks from the same people, and no Blink 182 at any time.

However, because it is a cover of a Billy Idol song, I'll look past those instances...for now.

15. I Feel So - Box Car Racer

Wow...really? The first half of this album was going so well, Moe. What are you trying to do to me? Three Blink-esque tracks on one mix is seriously pushing the envelope, here.

16. 155 - +44

Oh man, you have got to be absolutely kidding me, here. Blink Track #4? I'll tell you, there are very few bands that deserve more than 2 tracks on any given mix, and the Blink 182 extended family is certainly not one of them. Listening to the song itself, I fully believe that Mark Hoppus completely owns Tom when it comes to singing, songwriting and musicianship, but still...four songs?

17. Everything's Magic - Angels & Airwaves

Okay, now you're just trying to hurt me. Much like the time I accidentally wore my Mom's blouse to school in the 4th grade, I find myself muttering "This is not really happening, is it?" almost every half-second. I feel like taking my pants off and running down the street to What's My Age Again, like I did NINE GODDAMN YEARS AGO.

Weezer! Nada Surf! Reel Big Fish! Remember how much fun that was? Remember?

18. Nothing Lasts Forever - The Living End

I saw The Living End open for The Get Up Kids and Green Day many years ago, and it was one of the better concerts I had ever seen at that point. These guys are very entertaining live, the bass player is absolutely insane, and hey, they're not Blink 182!

19. Everlong - Foo Fighters

Moe, you genius bastard. How can I possibly be mad at you now? You've decided to close the album with my favorite rock song ever, thus negating every criticism I've given your mix. I guess this kind of music is a very thin line between universally accepted and utter trash, which is why me and the Missus argue about it so much.

Everyone should listen to Everlong at least once, laying down in pitch darkness with the speakers blasting, thinking of nothing but the most intimate and unforgettable moment of your life. It's almost religious in feeling.

20. The Dufresnes - Mitch Hedberg

Well played, good sir. Well played. All is forgiven.

Time for stats!

Total Number Of Tracks - 20
Number Of Above Average Tracks - 9
Number Of Average Tracks - 5
Number Of Below Average Tracks - 6
Number Of Tracks That I Own -
Best Track - Everlong
Worst Track - Anything by Blink Airwaves 44
Total Score - 7.0/10

Tomorrow, I'll have the final mix on the chopping block. Stick around to see how it all goes down.

Comments:
I don't know what the general consensus is on the Gin Blossoms, but damn, how can you deny this track?

One of the greatest modern rock bands...IMHO,

12. Under Pressure - My Chemical Romance (w/The Used)

I hate this song. I hated the original, so it only makes sense that I would hate it more when covered by less talented people with less clout and even more homosexual tendencies than David Bowie and Freddie Mercury, if that's even possible in this universe


One of my favorite tracks...ever. I have no patience for either of the new bands...but they are nothing short of phenomenal here.
 
I had given this mix to a friend of mine who told me the covers were an absoulte mistake. I knew better than this. I rushed and threw tons of Blink-related stuff on the mix. Again, another mistake.

I'm working on my february mix...starting tomorrow.

Awesome work again, CDP. Think about it....The first thing I did on Thanksgiving was look at CDP.
 
JT - Fair enough. Hey Jealousy is a classic, and yes, I'll forgive MCR & The Used for the time being. Please note that the reason I dislike this song has little to nothing to do with the original song itself, so it's kind of personally attacking on my part. I get that way sometimes.

MOE - Besides all the Blink stuff (2 would have been fine, I suppose), I really enjoyed the old school alternative feel of the mix. Some of my favorite songs are on here, after all.

Rad. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm off to see the relatives.
 
I think I'm going to go for an epic style album. The over six minutes, makes you want to cry with awesomeness kind of songs.

But it was quite a bombshell that CDP doesn't like Radiohead. As a teenage British citizen, I've always been incredibly proud of them. I'll just have to drown you out with constant plays of 'Paranoid Android'.

Please excuse the lazieness of my writing. I just had a nap.
 
So am I the final mix? I'm nervous to be placed under the CDP microscope but I can take it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, unless you're outside the US. In that case, have a nice Thursday.
 
I don't know what the general consensus is on the Gin Blossoms, but damn, how can you deny this track?

can I comment when the day is almost over?

I loved "Hey Jealousy" the first one million times I heard it. In the middle of the second million it started to grate on me. After the third million, I decided I never wanted to listen to it again.

In short: waaayy to overplayed like a lot of other excellent tracks in the mid-90's.
 
CARROT - It's not that I don't think Radiohead isn't talented. I just get sick of people telling me how much I should care about them. Sort of like me with Arcade Fire.

WILL - Yup, you're the final reviewed mix (I got 4 others, but they got bumped due to time constraints). Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well.

HOSS - Fair enough. It just makes me really, really happy.
 
the girl in the video is obsession-worthy

I think you meant that "the thing in the video is barf-worthy." I'm almost positive that's what you meant to type.
 
Yes, ma'am.
 
I think I liked this one most of all. Probably because I knew more than two of the songs on it.

Moe Green- nice job. I never knew Blink 182 was CDP anathema. Duly noted, all future mixes will contain at least one song.
 
It's just that I've played all of their songs to death back in the day....aw hell, I deserve it.
 
I haven't been to the blog in about a week (my own is suffering in my absence), so I didn't see this until today. I love Moe's mix. There I said it. ALL of those bands were familiar to me in some way. I like the obscure stuff that no one has ever heard of as much as any music snob would, but sometimes I really like the popular and mainstream stuff too.

I also don't understand why Hot Hot Heat isn't bigger here. I saw them live recently (I've seen both bands in concert now, so I can make comparisons), and I thought they were pretty good. They seemed less than thrilled with the tiny venue and equally tiny crowd when they got up on stage, but they put on a good show anyway. The Killers have an album of B-sides and rarities out. To me, this does not bode well. But I bought a copy for a friend for Christmas, all the same.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home