Monday, February 18

CDP Mix-Tape Exchange #2 Wrap Party. (Part 1)

Mix-Tape Exchange #2 Wrap Party.

I want to start today's post out by immediately mentioning the obvious: Where the hell is Lost Monday?

Well, the truth is that I did write a Lost essay this week, just not in the typical capacity we've all grown used to. All I can really tell you right now is that I'm still writing Lost stuff, I just took a slight risk this week to see if there were ways I could expand the audience and get my Lost recaps to as large of an audience as possible. I promise that you'll get the full details as soon as I know exactly what's going on. Know that I only do things for the benefit of my writing, my blog and my fans, and I didn't simply go deadbeat on everyone for no reason. Good? Good.

What's more important today is that for the entire week on the CDP, I'm extending my thanks to everyone who participated in the CDP Mix-Tape Exchange #2; especially all those who took the time to send a personal mix out to yours truly. I'm currently in the process of listening to over 15 different mixes from CDP fans across the nation, and it's been quite fantastic. The theme of Exchange #2 was 'Love,' and you guys didn't fail to deliver.

For those already wondering, Mix-Tape Exchange #3 will arrive in late May. Also, if you're still interested in sending a Love-Themed Mix my way, throw it in an envelope and send it to:

theCDP
PO Box 865
Sun Prairie, WI
53590

Thank you in advance.

The last time we did this trade, I had enough time (and not enough submissions) to review each and every track of each and every mix. While I simply don't have the time to do that again, I still promised that I would spotlight (albeit briefly) everyone who sent a mix my way. Today, I shall start said spotlighting, by pulling some mixes at random and giving them a run-down. I'll do this every day throughout the week until every ego has been properly stroked to the best of my abilities. Enjoy.

Kate's Mix!
LOVE MIX #1: 'Kate's V-Day Mix Extravaganza.'
BY: KATE CARILLO.


1. I Love You More Than You'll Ever Know - Marc Broussard
2. Better Days - Gerry O' Reilly
3. Volcano - Damien Rice
4. The More You Ruv Someone - Avenue Q Original Broadway Cast
5. Let's Make Out - Does It Offend You, Yeah?
6. Bella Luna - Jason Mraz
7. Big City - Matty Charles & The Valentines
8. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
9. Bei Mer Bist Du Schon - Swing Kids Soundtrack
10. Making My Livin' - Josh Dion Band
11. Tired Of Being Alone - Al Green
12. Back For A Taste Of Your Love - Jonny Lang
13. Wash Machine - Lady Clown
14. I Love You - Edvard Grieg
15. Need Your Love So Bad - Fleetwood Mac
16. Dozo - Puscifer
17. Oh You Delicate Heart - Hawksley Workman
18. False-Hearted Lover Blues - Levon Helm
19. Mistaken For Strangers - The National
20. Whirling - The Icicles

This was an absolutely beautiful and eclectic mix that I didn't see coming in the least. Kate has a timeless taste in music, and she hit many different angles on this disk (I had previously heard only 5 of the 20 tracks). Not only was it legitimately sexy, beautiful, lighthearted and sultry at the same time, her heartfelt and passionate descriptions of each track showed the depth of work she put into it. In a nutshell, I was turned on by the whole thing, and am slightly more attracted to Kate than I was a week ago.

Best Track - Tired Of Being Alone.

Hoss' Mix!
LOVE MIX #2: 'Two Movements On Love.'
BY: MIKE HOSS.


1. You Don't Know My Name - Alicia Keys
2. Crush - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
3. Then I Kissed Her - The Beach Boys
4. Moondance - Van Morrison
5. Cold Song - Jewel
6. The One I Love - David Gray
7. Leaving On A Jet Plane - Chantal Kreviazuk
8. Somebody's Crying - Chris Isaak
9. He - Jars Of Clay
10. This Is A Call - Thousand Foot Krutch
11. Lost The Plot - Newsboys
12. A New Law - Derek Webb
13. Of Minor Prophets & Their Prostitute Wives - Pedro The Lion
14. Christmas Song - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds
15. Untitled Hymn - Chris Rice
16. Jesus Loves Me - Go Fish
17. I'll Fly Away - Alison Kraus & Gillian Welch
18. 40 - U2

Mike Hoss is great, because even though I never know what to expect with his mixes, I always know that I'm going to get a specific and solid theme. I also think that everyone in Nebraska has a similarly laid-back and respectable taste in music. 'Crush' by Dave Matthews barely missed the cut on my own personal Love Mix, but I stand firm in saying that regardless of your opinions of Mr. Matthews, 'Crush' is quite simply one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

Best Track - 'Crush,' although 'Moondance' was a close second. Two classics, right there.

Emily's Mix!
LOVE MIX #3: 'I Felios Your Eros Of Love.'
BY: EMILY MILLS.

1. Herbs, Good Hygiene & Socks - Lovage
2. To Catch A Thief - Lovage
3. Teardrop - Massive Attack
4. Roads - Portishead
5. Breathe Me - Sia
6. You Said Something - PJ Harvey
7. Love, You Should Come Over - Jeff Buckley
8. Plenty - Sarah McLachlan
9. I Can't Make Me - Butterfly Boucher
10. You're All I Have - Snow Patrol
11. F*** And Run - Liz Phair
12. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Sleater-Kinney
13. Anyone Else But You - The Moldy Peaches
14. Tomorrow Night - Patty Griffin

I'll just come right out and say it; I like Emily Mills. I like her tastes, I like her talents and I double-like her hair. The day we finally meet in person, I'll stumble, stammer and lose what little amount of respect she has for me in mere microseconds. On her mix, she brought the surreal, dreamy and unquestionably sexy for 56 straight minutes. Heavy with lush melodies and brilliant female vocalists, she made a true beginning-to-end bedroom mix, and you can't ask for much more than that.

Best Track - 'Teardrop,' although choosing one song from this mix defeats the purpose a bit.

Morgan's Mix!
LOVE MIX #4: 'Totally Rad Mix Tape.'
BY: MORGAN DEMPSEY.


1. Your Ex-Lover Is Dead - Stars
2. Chemistry Of The Car Crash - Shiny Toy Guns
3. Pictures Of You - The Cure
4. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side - The Smiths
5. One More Notch - Murder By Death
6. The Recluse - Cursive
7. Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine
8. Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
9. Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
10. Without You - Silverchair
11. Nothing Compares 2 U - Shiny Toy Guns
12. Teardrop - Massive Attack
13. Njosnavelin - Sigur Ros
14. It's A Motherf***er - Eels
15. Run - Air
16. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
17. Unintended - Muse
18. Everlong - Foo Fighters

Morgan is an interesting guy to me, because from reading some of his essays, he appears to be on a self-guided journey to personal perfection, sink or swim. That reminds me a lot of myself, so it goes without saying that Morgan's mix contains 14 tracks that currently rest in my CD collection. He also gets points for throwing on an acoustic version of 'Everlong,' as opposed to going with the standard mix-tape staple. This will be one of the mixes I listen to the most.

Best Track - 'In The Aeroplane Over The Sea,' because while 'Everlong' is one of my favorites, it won't be played at my funeral like 'Aeroplane' will.

That does it for today. Tomorrow will bring us another four mixes; until then, sound off in the comments section, bitch over a lack of Lost Monday and attempt to impress everyone with your musical prowess. I know I'll be doing all of these things. Cheers.

Comments:
I always come on early on Mondays to satisfy my Lost craveing, but as long as you know what you're doing with this recap, I'll sit tight.

I was tempted to send off my mix to you, but all of the shipping costs combined were too much to bother with, and Mother Duff doesn't seem to want to lend me any cash at the mo'.

I'd also like to point out this is my second first post. A bit a special occasion.
 
Yeah, I'll give everyone the Lost skinny as soon as I hear it.

I wanted to spotlight the Mix-Tapes this week, and get back to business next week. It just seemed like the right time to do so.
 
"as soon as I hear it"

Color me intrigued.

Let's throw some love towards Wake Forest this morning, too...
 
I understand -- you don't want the mix tapes hanging over your head. Or your readers nagging you.

I'm off from work today (All Hail the Presidents) so I was here when Mrs Hoss was getting her CDP fix this morning. Little Hoss was curled up beside her and saw the screen. "Hey, that's me!"

I'll explain the movements a little bit -- Tracks 1-8 where called "Eros is Temporary" and it was whole cycle of a relationship from first call to a sad breakup. Tracks 9-18 were called "Agape is Forever" and was modeled off of a church service. It's better than it sounds, actually.

And, you're right -- "Crush" is one of the most beautiful songs ever. I included the Matthews/Reynolds live version for a different perspective but it's surely not a less version.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.
 
Are you going to include my track listing this time? You totally ignored my mix last time. It hurt me deeply. I cried a little.

I just got to work--45 mins late. Stupid snow.
 
It's not so much that I think people will be nagging me, I just want to talk about the mixes in one fell swoop before people sort of forget about it. Y'all deserve it.

It is better than it sounds. Just like Country music, there is a lot of Spiritually-based music out there that's tremendously beautiful and not at all indicative of the genre as a whole. But you already knew that.

'Crush.' I wanted to put it on my mix, but it was 8 minutes long and has a 2-minute instrumental outro, so I cut it due to time constraints. Really though, that's just one of those songs that makes you fall in love with whomever happens to be sitting next to you at the time. It's that powerful.
 
HATHERY - I'm spotlighting everyone.

Except myself. I do that enough already.
 
Whew! Glad to know that I didn't embarrass myself totally with this mix tape de-virginizing experience. But only *slightly* more attracted? Sigh. Okay, okay, I'll take it.

Glad to introduce you to some new tunage. I tried to resist putting more classics on there, thinking I was supposed to be all "cool" and "unique" and crap...so I'm glad at least Al Green made the cut. Any of the new ones you particularly liked?

Sorry I went overboard with the notes: English major = verbal diarrhea.

Oh, and shout out to Brian for a kickass mix. Thanks! :)
 
KATE - You didn't go overboard with the notes; mine were just as long, if not longer. Three pages seems to be the standard, from what I've noticed. Your descriptions were great.

While there were very few songs that I was on the fence about, I particularly enjoyed Volcano, Let's Make Out, Big City, Wash Machine, Dozo, Mistaken For Strangers and Whirling.

And fine, I'm considerably more attracted to you.
 
I also need to mention that I have not seen the American Gladiators finale yet. Although I did watch a great interview with Gina Carano on Inside MMA this weekend, and yes, she is just as cool as you'd expect her to be, if not cooler.
 
The day continues to get better. 5 minutes after arriving for work 45 minutes late, the fire alarm went off, and we all had to be herded outside into the freezing cold for 35 minutes until the firemen could give us an all clear.
 
Your building is a cursed hellhole.

There, I said it.

I'd say it again if I had to.
 
Believe me, we've all said it already.
 
As a recipient of Emily's mixtape I caution her not to send it out to many people. The bushes will get too crowded.

I'm enjoying the Massive Attack resurgence. When Tangerine Dream rolls around again I'll be the first one on the bus.
 
Whoa - I'm very glad you liked more than just one or two of them. Matty Charles and Lady Clown are both New York based bands that play fairly often 'round here - if you are ever in this neck of the woods...

Considerably? Alright, now we're talking. And now your wife can smack you in the back of the head :)

Oh, and I'm so glad I'm not the only one sucked into American Gladiators for the second time in my life...
 
BLU - Indeed.

KATE - I never once waivered in my love for AG. In fact, I've been watching old episodes on ESPN Classic for months now.

After all the swooning the Missus has been doing for Bruce in the past few weeks regarding the Mix-Trade, she can't get on me too much about it. All good fun and whatnot.
 
What??? Just because I drew a heart on the envelope???
 
I saw those photographs that you snuck into that package.
 
Confession time, I have not sent mine out to Benjamin. Sorry man, life has gotten in the way and I'm on the road all this week so it's going to have to wait a few more days. I suck and I'm sorry. Promise I'll get it out as soon as I can, probably this weekend once I'm back home in LA.
 
WILL - Benjamin asked me about your mix this weekend, and I told him you were rad and wouldn't go deadbeat on him, so thanks for taking the time to sound off and let him know what was up. Classy.
 
The CDP is just being nice. Ben was actually sobbing in our living room, wondering when his mix would come. He even hyperventilated. It was pretty pathetic for a 27 year old.
 
Then he peed a little, and we made him Spot-Shot the couch stain himself.

It was the saddest thing I have ever seen.
 
I've got my Stickam Chat Room open right now, if anyone wants to pop in and say hello. No cam, just hot and uncensored chatting action.

Just click on my Stickam link in the sidebar and open my Chat Room. I'll be there.
 
No excuses, things have just gotten in the way.
 
CDP - Why, I think I might be blushing. I'm really glad you dig it. Do I win the prize for punniest mix title or what? Oh hey and, I intend to review your mix on my blog, so I'll be sure to post the link when it's done. Seems only fair, yeah?

BLU - Massive Attack will always be great, no doubt about it. I'm relieved that you like the mix.
 
BluStaCon- I got your mix, but I haven't had a chance to properly sit down with it. I shall give you the full review at that time! It will be on a 5 hedgehog scale.
 
EMILY - You have the punniest title, hands down. In comparison, it makes my 'One Week Of Love' look like Hitler's vomit pail. I need to up my game.

Looking forward to the review!
 
Oh, and I'm no longer in my Chat Room.

Wow, what's the deal with that huge beef recall?

I haven't seen that much rejected beef since________________!
 
...man, I've got nothing. My funny bone is clearly broken, because this seems like it should be a gimme.
 
...Tommy Lee got divorced!

...Pavoratti left his freezer door open!

That's all I've got.
 
...Joe Namath got a little tipsy.
 
Blu's always coming through in the clutch.
 
That's "true Blu" Blu for you...

(+5 for the bad pun)
 
Crap. You told me there was no chance he saw the pictures that you included. He doesn't know that if you play your mix CD backwards, that it works as a Hedgehog aphrodisiac, does he? Because that could send him over the edge. And I don't want the CDP angry with me. Especially after finishing his book, I have this huge belief that we're both brothers from another mother.
 
I'll let this one affair slide. After that, and I may consider taking action.

Thanks for reading the book; I sincerely hope you enjoyed it.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Something retarded happened in my comment. I'm fixing that :)

I loved seeing these mixes posted, because I'm seeing so many songs I wanted to put on mine, but didn't. I had three different versions of my mix before I went with what I did (one was extremely bitter with far too much synthpop in it). I loved Kate throwing out Nina Simone, Mike's tossing in Beach Boys (although I'll say God Only Knows is my favorite of theirs), and thank God someone threw down Portishead because that was the hardest one to cut from my mix. And I'm seeing stuff I want to check out :)

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is a song I think everybody should hear and enjoy. Neutral Milk Hotel is the band that everybody should get into. It's never too late.

Also, I would like to share a fun fact.

>.>

<.<

I'm a girl :D

(True story.)

(No worries. I'm not offended. I get that a lot, online. I guess it's the engineer-gamer-scifi-nerd thing. Also, I don't really go out of my way to say I'm a girl, and I don't have a particularly feminine disposition.)

But yeah. Ovaries. I totally have them. (Trust me, they're overrated.)
 
for ever loving christ, where is the lost post.... not this romance crap....
 

Post a Comment

<< Home