Tuesday, February 19

CDP Mix-Tape Exchange #2 Wrap Party. (Part 2)

Mix Tape Exchange #2 Wrap Party.

For this entire week on the CDP, I'm extending my thanks to everyone who participated in the CDP Mix-Tape Exchange #2; especially all those who took the time to send a personal mix out to yours truly. I'm currently in the process of listening to over 15 different mixes from CDP fans across the nation, and it's been quite fantastic. The theme of Exchange #2 was 'Love,' and you guys didn't fail to deliver.

For those already wondering, Mix-Tape Exchange #3 will arrive in late May. Also, if you're still interested in sending a Love-Themed Mix my way, throw it in an envelope and send it to:

theCDP
PO Box 865
Sun Prairie, WI
53590

Thank you in advance.

The last time we did this trade, I had enough time (and not enough submissions) to review each and every track of each and every mix. While I simply don't have the time to do that again, I still promised that I would spotlight (albeit briefly) everyone who sent a mix my way. Today, I shall continue said spotlighting, by pulling some mixes at random and giving them a run-down. I'll do this every day throughout the week until every ego has been properly stroked to the best of my abilities. Enjoy.

Heather's Mix.
LOVE MIX #5: 'Straight Ahead Love Songs.'
BY: HEATHER.

1. A Groovy Kind Of Love - The Dan Band
2. I'll Be Your Mirror - The Velvet Underground
3. You Really Got A Hold On Me - She & Him
4. Digital Love - Daft Punk
5. I Love You - The Pipettes
6. Two Hearts - Phil Collins
7. If You're Into It - Flight Of The Conchords
8. Drop & Anchor - Mates Of State
9. Reflecting Light - Sam Phillips
10. Underwater (You & Me) - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
11. Minor Detail - Sondre Lerche
12. Lover's Spit - Broken Social Scene
13. Love Invincible - Michael Franti & Spearhead
14. Your Song - Elton John
15. I Just Can't Get Enough - Nouvelle Vague
16. Another Sunny Day - Belle & Sebastian
17. Accidentally In Love - Counting Crows
18. Someday You Will Be Loved - Death Cab For Cutie

Never mind the wonderful taste and quality depth this mix has (Velvet Underground, Pipettes, Mates Of State, Broken Social Scene, Daft Punk; I love you and I don't even know you!), the main thing I need to mention is the absolutely beautiful packaging that Heather included with her mix. She scrapbooked the entire booklet by hand, included a handwritten letter and cut/pasted the whole thing together. It's honestly one of the more gorgeous packages I've ever received in regards to the CDP, and I hope that whomever drew her as a Mix-Tape recipient appreciates the hard work that she put into the appearance. Wonderful stuff, really.

Smedley's Mix.
LOVE MIX #6: 'CDP Love Mix.'
BY: SCOTT FENDLEY

1. Meant For You - The Beach Boys
2. Happiness - The Anita Kerr Singers
3. We Love Us - The Association
4. I Want You Still - The Dave Clark Five
5. Dino's Song - Quicksilver Messenger Service
6. Flowers & Beads - Iron Butterfly
7. Love, Love, Love, Love, Love - Pacific Gas & Electric
8. Love - The Cult
9. It's Love - King's X
10. When You Smile - Dream Syndicate
11. Books About UFOs - Husker Du
12. Love Is - I Love You
13. I've Been Waiting - Matthew Sweet
14. What You Do To Me - Teenage Fanclub
15. Better Than Nothing - Jennifer Trynin
16. I'd Run Away - The Jayhawks
17. You Won't Be Happy - Paul Collins Beat
18. Tara-I Like You-Carmalina - The Pursuit Of Happiness
19. Wedding Of The Bugs - Robbie Fulks
20. Blue Eyes - International Submarine Band
21. Sweet City Woman - Stampeders
22. Sweet Mary - Wadsworth Mansion
23. I'm In Love With A Girl - Big Star
24. Because - The Dave Clark Five
25. My Best Friend - Jefferson Airplane
26. Our Sweet Love - The Beach Boys

Wow. This is, without question, the happiest Mix-Tape I have ever heard. Absolutely shimmering in every way, and jam-packed with everything from bouncy Sunshine Pop, to Surf, to Psychedelic Rock, to Punk, to Classic Alternative and to Grunge. I need to ask Smedley where exactly he got some of these tracks outside of vinyl. I consider this a great addition to my collection, as it contains many tracks I'd never be able to find at a retailer. Awesome job.

(You can read Smedley's very own track comments HERE!)

Bruce's Mix.
LOVE MIX #7: 'Break Up...Just To Make Up.'
BY: BRUCE DIERBECK.

1. Crying Time - Buck Owens
2. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? - The Violent Femmes
3. The Breakup Song - The Greg Kihn Band
4. Baby It's You - Smith
5. If It Be Your Will - Leonard Cohen
6. Tell It Like It Is - Aaron Neville
7. Livin' For You - Al Green
8. Goodbye Girl - David Gates
9. It's Sad To Belong - England Dan & John Ford Coley
10. Almost Lover - A Fine Frenzy
11. Do You Know Who I Am? - Elvis Presley
12. These Arms Of Mine - Otis Redding
13. You Don't Know Me - Ray Charles
14. Save Me A Saturday Night - Neil Diamond
15. Love Gonna Walk Out On Me - Toots & The Maytals
16. I Just Want To Be Your Everything - Andy Gibb
17. If I Ever Saw A Good Thing - Tony Joe White
18. Behind Closed Doors - Charlie Rich
19. Daisy Jane - America
20. Beautiful Girl - Pete Droge
21. If Not For You - George Harrison
22. Don't Worry Baby - The Beach Boys
Bonus Track - Afternoon Delight - Ron Burgundy

This isn't just a Mix-Tape, it's the soundtrack to the Cycle of Romance. From the initial pain of a break up, to the futile attempt to dust yourself off and move on, to the unbearable pain of unrequited love, to the eventual finding of the special person that will eventually hurt you and start you over again. I don't know why I didn't expect such musical depth from Bruce, but I really enjoyed his many steps outside of the traditional Love Mix box. Also, his track descriptions were heartfelt, hilarious and close-to-home. Rad on all fronts.

Another Photo Of Heather's Beautiful Mix.
(The Missus didn't include artwork for my copy of her mix, so here's another photo of Heather's beautiful Mix-Tape packaging.)

LOVE MIX #8: 'Missus Love Mix.'

BY: THE MISSUS.

1. Couch - The Benjamins
2. Fine Day For Sailing - Go Sailor
3. Cantankerous - Chopper One
4. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star
5. If We Were Lovers - All Star United
6. Summer Is Coming - Matt Pond PA
7. A Life Less Ordinary - Ash
8. Once Around The Block - Badly Drawn Boy
9. Radio - Teenage Fanclub
10. Spin The Wink - The Velvet Teen
11. Just Hold Me - Maria Mena
12. Down - Stroke 9
13. Some Jingle Jangle Morning - Mary Lou Lord
14. Last Song For Barbie - Zoinks!
15. Flowers In The Windows - Travis
16. A Good Man Is Easy To Kill - Beulah
17. B.C. - The Gadjits
18. Leave It All Behind - The Features
19. So Long, Marianne - Leonard Cohen
20. Only Of You - Green Day
21. New Year's Project - Further Seems Forever

I'm biased towards this mix for a number of reasons. Never mind that she's my wife, and never mind that all of these tracks come from my personal CD collection. Nope, the main reason why I love this mix so much is because it's our mix. When you create a CD like this, you reflect on past experiences and important, personal moments to get your point across, and every important moment I've experienced in the last decade centers solely around the Missus. I know why she chose these songs because I was there when they became an integral part of her life, and I think that's pretty awesome.

I absolutely freaking hate that Gadjits song, though.

Sound off in the comments section, boast your musical prowess and enjoy your day.

Comments:
I like these posts, but a want a Lost Monday post too! I'm selfish and spoiled.
 
I promise that was a one-time deal. Lost Monday returns as normal next week.

Furthermore, you might still get one this week. The jury's still out...
 
The jury's still out...

...to lunch. Those greedy pigs. Sucking up Uncle's money so they don't have to get back to their cubicles. 12 selfish bastards if you ask me.



These mixes are great so far. Makes me wish I'd had more time to really sit down and tweek it a little more. Well, it could have been worse. Could have gone deadbeat like Will. zing!
 
Oooohhhhh....two points for Blu!

Also, CDP, you'll get a copy of my mix tape with the package that I keep promising to mail. I'm such a lazy bastard.
 
Sounds good to me, JT.

I was listening to the previous mix that Will had made for me on the ride to work today. Cosmic.
 
I though I was the most eclectic, but these took me to school with that. Will have to get the big guns out on the next mix.

But really, all of them seem great. And the one I got from Duff was also good.

Little Hoss was very excited when I was making the last mix and I said I'd make her one next. This morning, Little Hoss reminded my wife about this: "Daddy is going to make me a CD sometime. He promised. He promised."

Looks like I have some work to do this week . . .
 
Indeed. This batch was extremely varied, and it all made sense somehow. I've been pretty humbled by the Mix-Tape making abilities of our participants. I don't hold a candle to a lot of you folks.
 
You just don't like that Gadjits song because it's a Zach song. I threw it on b/c it's the only one I could find that was blatantly about love and wasn't terribly profane. Nothing about "come like a howitzer" in this song.

Blu, I was listening to your mix on my way to work this morning. All was well and I was rocking out, until we got to track 13. Then, things got wonky. We got some digital distortion, and things started skipping. If I skip to the next track, it skips back to 13. If I skip to 15, it goes to 14. I'm not sure what's going on...I reckon we're gonna have to try listening on the home theatre. I have a strong suspicion it has something to do with you blacking out the whole front of the disc in marker though...I think it's catching on my CD player (there are scratches in the ink where it looks like its been catching...)
 
Blustacon broke everything.

The best Gadjits love song is 'Need Yo' Luv.' In recent years, I'm assuming that Brandon has relieved Zach of his songwriting duties.
 
Anything off of "Da Gravy on Yo Grits" is more or less hilarious and classic.

I think I put 'One Stone's Throw From a Riot' on my last mix, so that makes up for putting 'B.C.' on this one. :)
 
In further news, am I REALLY the only one who put Fade Into You on their mix?!? REALLY?
 
Out of the mixes I received, I believe so. I may be wrong, though.

Angus. Classic. Best movie soundtrack ever.
 
'Fade Into You' actually isn't on the soundtrack, believe it or not.
 
HATHERY - My humblest apologies. I was going for the vinyl look. Your mini-coop is obviously shunning it's own retro background and acting the priss. I will get another one to you right away if you need it. Sans label. Au naturelle. Naked. and a cd too.
 
I'll see if it works on the way home. It could have been the weather, too. It's -1 outside right now w/out the wind chill, and I'm technically not supposed to be even operating my CD player in those conditions. :)
 
Angus is such a good movie. And I mean that in all seriousness with absolutely no irony or sarcasm.

I'm despondant over here. I'm crying into my coffee. Where's my Lost recap? I NEED to discuss the Sayid situation with like-minded people who aren't going to look at me like I'm growing a fifth arm in the middle of my forehead when I try to theorize about the turn of events from last week.
 
"Fade Into You actually isn't on the soundtrack, believe it or not."

Wow, I completely lapsed right there. Are you kidding me?

I...I don't know what to believe anymore.
 
Blu - If there's one thing I actually have going for my mix-tapes, it is this...

My CDs have a vinyl front, thus, looking like an old record.
 
Moe's right. He also included with his mix a Sports Illustrated with Brett Favre on the cover, so he's fully exempt from any negative criticism.

MAUS - We can talk about Lost right here! Here's what I've learned:

1. Wouldn't you know it, there's a time/space issue with the island. Somewhere around 13 minutes, if my math is correct. More specifically, if Daniel's math is correct.

2. Sayid can't help himself from murdering people. It's in his genes, and he's obviously trying to protect the rest of the Oceanic 6 by working for Ben. How he makes it off the island should be amazing television.

3. Ben is going on and off that island all the time, according to his loot and passports. They did have a submarine for awhile (before Locke exploded it), so yeah, he's into some deep stuff off the island, it would appear.

4. Furthermore, since when is Ben a doctor? Or a Veterinarian, for that matter?

5. Kate, Hurley, Jack & Sayid make up 4 of the Oceanic 6. I believe that Ben, Juliet, Michael & Walt (if they made it) will not count.
 
"31 minutes is the amount of time in the past that the Island exists. So when Locke was instructed to "Enter 77" it's because Dharma understands this 31 minute discrepency. 77 +31 = 108. OR It's possible that the clock Michael Farady was comparing to was his clock which was synced back at the boat some 12-20 hours ago. The 31 minute disparity is only in 12 hours, so then the disparity would grow exponentially as time passed. This would possibly explain why Walt has aged so much but also explain why the flash forwards seem to be in 2007 when only 100 days have passed on the Island since the crash."

This is what one of my friends suggested.

Thoughts?
 
I don't get a word of that. Me no smart.
 
MOE - I am jealous, I want those labels. Most of my label problem is the loop feed on my printer. The artwork never lines up leading my closer and closer to an Office Space style stomp.


I liked the Sayid-centric episode. The flash forward. When all played out I wasn't entirely certain they weren't in Munich. Can they transpose film as well?
 
"Fade Into You actually isn't on the soundtrack, believe it or not."

Wow, I completely lapsed right there. Are you kidding me?

I...I don't know what to believe anymore.


Nope, it's not on there. It's on the album "So Tonight That I Might See."
 
It's a great theory, but was it 31 minutes? I can't recall right now.

If this is true, the writers of this show are truly genius to bring (and keep) it all together like that. With all the other stuff they need to worry about (a billion surface issues that go into creating a decent television show), to maintain this kind of secretive backstory is borderline impossible for me to fathom.
 
HATHERY - I figured it would have been on both albums.
 
I have to believe they had a series spanning arc in mind when they planned the show. Probably became a reality after season one's success.

I like the idea that tv shows can have a conclusion, and not just exists on life support until the popularity fades or the story becomes so fantastic mutiple sharks are involved
 
HATHERY - "Fade Into You" was one of the last songs I cut from my mix, precisely because I figured someone else would include it. Because it is awesome. I also considered "Into Dust," but I assumed everyone already had the "Foxfire" soundtrack.
 
I love that album, but you have to be in the right mood for it. When I listen to entire albums at a time it's sometimes hard to pick an indivual song out. They kind of blend into the flow of it.
 
I've never even heard of "Foxfire", so I definitely don't have the soundtrack :) haha.
 
BLU - I fully agree. There's no question that the full idea for the show was fleshed out during Season 1. It's so respectable to me to see producers of a show wanting it to end for the sake of telling a good story, as opposed to carrying it out as long as the money keeps coming in. They're storytellers, and that's brilliant.

EMILY - Wasn't Angelina Jolie in Foxfire?

When I want surreal, layered dreamy-stuff, I usually listen to Hum, Mew, or any other band with 3 letters in their name.
 
CDP - You should add Mum to that list. They'd fit perfectly.

And yes, Angelina Jolie was in "Foxfire." With short hair. And (surprise surprise) takes her top off.

HATHERY - It's certainly not a great masterpiece of the cinema, but good fun nonetheless. And it has a fun soundtrack. :)
 
Angelina Jolie needs to keep her hair short, her top on and her mouth shut. Just like me.

I just took a few minutes to check out this Mum band you speak of, and I enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads-up, yo.
 
That explains why I never heard of it. I stay as far as humanly possible away from anything that involves Ms. Nighcrawler Lips.
 
I find it ironic that earlier in the episode, Sayid states that he'd "sell his soul" before ever trusting Ben...

...lol.

Also the time difference was by roughly 31 minutes, and if I've copied this correctly from some poor sod of TV.com...



100 DAYS = 3.5 years = (352x3.5) = 1232 REAL DAYS

10 DAYS = 0.35 years = 123.2 REAL DAYS

1 Day on island = 0.035 years = 12.32 days in real world

24 hours on island = 295.68 Real world hours

1 hour on island = 12.32hours(752 mins)real world hours

1 minute on island = 12.5 minutes(752/60)

So in the 2 - 3 mins he waited for the rocket that would be

2.5ish island minutes x 12.5 real world minutes = 31minutes and 15 seconds.

Probably a pile a bollocks though.
 
maths
 
The CDP has to calculate tips for me, so this is well beyond my comprehension.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Sweeeeet. I play with numbers all day for a living, so I'm going to be boggling over those calculations all day. At first glance, the sums look like they corrolate appropriately based on the delay during Farraday's experiment. BUT...I'd need to bust out my trusty adding machine to verify.
 
Mathematical
Anti
Telharsic
Harfatum
Septomin.

I wonder if this all fits in somehow with the Valenzetti Equation concerning the Numbers.

Furthermore, why does this happen every season, where we end up obsessing over some absolutely insane theory concerning island mythology? To make fans do that once is amazing for a television show; to make them do it every few weeks is...damn.
 
wah?..
 
I forgot to mention I've smelt like onions all day.


Yep.
 
Better than if you smelt like smelt.
 
Ben's parents' house smells like onions.
 
Smelt like the fish or smelt like metals?
 
Ooo, I got a shiny new book in the mail today. I can't wait to discover what wonders it holds within its tightly bound pages!

(thanks for the CD, too)
 
I aim to please. Enjoy the book!
 
Thanks to working in the kitchen at the Village Idiot, I smell faintly of garlic, onions, and flour roughly 3 days out of the week.

Luckily, both my dogs and Melissa like it.
 
Nummy.

A new post is going up sometime today, so keep an eye on the page. Big thangs poppin', y'all!
 
Apparently I smell like an Angel would, as that's the name of my perfume.
 
I've got to get my hands on some of that Jesus cologne. 'His Essence,' I believe it's called.
 
I think Diane Sawyer said it smelled like pine trees.
 
Hey, nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I'm assuming that Jesus smelled like Swiss Army.
 
I've always assumed he'd smell like sandalwood.
 
Nope, he was a Brut man.
 
The Swiss Army joke was brilliant. Nicely done.
 
Thanks, Moe. I'm wearing it right now.

EMILY - I think that 'His Essence' did have a hint of pine and sandalwood in it. So essentially, he smelled like a hippie.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home