Friday, May 30

Lost Friday - Retrospective Edition.

Lost Friday - Retrospective Edition.

Today's post serves two functions. First, it's a place to discuss the Lost Season 4 Finale without having to wait until Lost Monday. Secondly, it's a chance to dig around the Lost Friday/Monday archives, in preparation for the Final Lost Monday Ever.

I'm writing this post on Thursday afternoon, still hours away from the season finale, so...er...I mean, I'm writing this essay early Friday morning! Wow, what a finale that was! Wasn't it crazy when....that....thing...happened? What was that thing? That was amazing!

Look, I've written over 75 editions of Lost Friday/Monday (with today's post being at least #76). Some of them were hilarious, some of them outright sucked, some of them were uninspired and most of them were awesome. Hundreds upon hundreds of pages of jokes, speculation, satire and respect for the greatest television drama in American history. I've received thousands of fans because of it, gathered tons of e-mail and even got nominated for a few awards in the Lost blogosphere. I always said that I'd wrap it up when I no longer enjoyed writing it or if I felt the quality was slipping due to my schedule and dedication, and that's what I need to do at this point in time. For better or for worse, know that I'm done writing Lost Monday for the greater good of the CDP.

If you were one of the folks that showed up to the CDP solely for the Lost recaps, I implore you to stick around. As it were, I'm a pretty good storyteller in my own right.

To put it bluntly, I don't think I'll miss writing Lost Monday. I don't feel vain in saying that I put an assload of work into every one of those dumb little turds; I think that my recaps, at their best, were better than pretty much any other recaps on the planet. That being said, I haven't had a good night's sleep on a Sunday in a very long time because of it, and it's due time I got caught up.

I'll still talk about Lost, I just won't be investing six hours a week trying to create a funny recap of it. If you're pissed off because I'm through with Lost Monday, don't be. I didn't want to tread water with uninspired recaps for the sake of traffic, and do something just because it might keep a few extra readers around. That ain't me, and I hope you respect that.

So, with that being said, please enjoy the upcoming final chapter in the Lost Friday/Monday saga by checking out every single one of them. I didn't really hit my stride until the second half of Season 2 or so, but they're all worth the clicking if you're interested. Let's go.

Season 4.

Season 4.

Season 4 - Episode 1 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 2 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 3 Pop Crunch Recap
Season 4 - Episode 4 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 4 Pop Crunch Recap
Season 4 - Episode 5 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 6 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 7 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 9 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 10 Recap
Season 4 - Episode 12 Recap
Season 4 - Finale Edition 1
Season 4 - Finale Edition 2
Season 4 - Finale Edition 3

Season 3.

Season 3.

Season 3 Preview
Season 3 - Episode 1 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 2 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 3 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 4 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 5 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 6 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 7 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 8 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 9 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 10 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 11 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 12 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 13 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 14 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 15 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 16 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 17 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 18 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 19 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 20 Recap
Season 3 - Episode 21 Recap
Season 3 - Finale Edition 1
Season 3 - Finale Edition 2
Season 3 - Finale Edition 3
Season 3 - Episode 22/23 Recap

Season 2.

Season 2.

SEASON TWO - EPISODE 23/24 RECAP
SEASON TWO - FINALE EDITION 2
SEASON TWO - FINALE EDITION 1
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 22 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 21 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 20 RECAP
SEASON TWO - CLIP SHOW EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 19 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 18 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 17 RECAP
SEASON TWO - TEMPORARY EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 16 RECAP
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 8
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 7
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 15 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 14 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 13 RECAP
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 6
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 12 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 11 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 10 RECAP
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 5
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 4
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 3
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 9 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 8 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 7 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 6 RECAP
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION: VOLUME 2
SEASON TWO - RERUN EDITION
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 5 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 4 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 3 RECAP
SEASON TWO - EPISODE 1 RECAP
SEASON 2 PREVIEW

Thank you so much for giving Lost Friday/Monday an audience. Sound off in the comments section, discuss the Season 4 finale and enjoy your weekend.

MONDAY: THE FINAL LOST MONDAY.

Comments:
Think he "moved the island" in time?
 
I truthfully don't know, but it's probably the case. The way they were teasing 'hiccups' in the space/time fabric by having the freighter doctor wash ashore with his throat slit before it actually happened on the freighter was a clue for me. Also, Daniel's experiments with time make it seem like the Island is in another time entirely.

What this means for the show, I don't know for sure, but it's going to get even more complicated, if that's possible. I look forward to the Season 5 storyline of following the Oceanic 6 off of the Island, and seeing the reasons why they decide to band together and go back.

I can't say I was 100% in love with the finale (we're stretching the suspension of disbelief pretty far with the Time Travel thing), but it was still awesome, answered some questions and got us ready for the direction the show will go.
 
Didn't moving the island look suspiciously similar to when Desmond blew up the hatch and blew his pants off?
 
Indeed it did. I think that Desmond's Season 2 'purge' was very similar to what Benjamin did with his frozen donkey wheel last night.

Is this really cool, or just ridiculous?
 
I think it's pretty cool. I'm not sure why the wheel lit up when he turned it though. that might have been lame.
 
Never mind the wheel lighting up, what about it transporting the island through time and space, and shooting Benjamin into the Sahara desert in the year 2005?

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome, but....yeeeeeeeeeesh.
 
I can deal with time travel a lot more than inexplicable light sources.
 
I'll try yot keep the spoilers to a minimum, but...I shouted out "Oh, son of a biscuit!" when they showed who was in the coffin. I knew it would be...but hoped in a way it wouldn't be. And in a way, it was good to see Michael get what he'd wanted.

So now - what "bad things" happened while the Oceanic 6 were going about their lives becoming ghost-talking loonies (Hurley), drunken remorseful loonies (Jack), *barely* rehabilitated murdering middle-class housewives (Kate), drooling, silent toddlers (Aaron), mommies with a vengeance (Sun), and hitmen-for hire (Sayid)? What happened to the *other two* from the helo? The group in the life boat? Whose side is Sun really on at this point? WHY does Sawyer always have to play the hero when that's the last thing he should do? And where can I get me some of that Dharma brand rum? I think a few shots of that would have helped me sort out the increasingly tangled web of these complicated plot lines.
 
I haven't even seen these episodes yet, but all this spoiling-me-to-death talk of time travel is rather vindicating.

Back when Hurley and whoever else it was listened to that radio and caught the old-timey song on it? Yeah, I totally called time travel/warping.

Go me.
 
Dammit, CDP! This would have been such a helpful post a month and a half ago when I spent countless minutes searching through your archives for Lost Mondays/Fridays to read along with the episodes I was watching.
 
HATHERY - With all the dimmer switches in our new house, I bet you're on the verge of a full-scale panic attack. At least it will be displayed under soft, sexy lighting.

MAUS - Michael and Jin are goners, but it's for the best. After all, there's only two seasons of TV left, Michael wanted to go and Jin pretty much had his backstory fully explained by now. Furthermore, it has turned off-island Sun into an insanely awesome character.

Despite what I think about the cuckoo-bananas time travel stuff, Season 5 looks to be really cool, storyline-wise. We get to see the Oceanic 6 start to fall apart off of the island, we get to see Locke take the place over (for a little bit, until things go wonky), and various other cool stuff. I'm ready, and I honestly enjoy where the story has taken us so far. Everyone thought that rescue would spell the end of the series. These people are idiots.

CARLYPANTS - Sorry about that. I'm really glad you read along, though; a few people told me they were doing that as they caught up, and it made me all tingly. When are you done with school?
 
I've made about 815 wrong predictions over the four seasons of Lost, but I'll be glad to point out that I called John Locke an "Other" way back in Season One when he led Boone to his plane-ridden death.

Sure, he wasn't an "Other" then, but he is now, damn it.
 
That's a retroactive victory, my good man. For all of my blown predictions, it should be noted that about 99% of them turned out to be right.

Actual conversation with Swoon Queen last night:

CDP: "I'm quitting Lost Monday."

SWOONIE(Matter-of-factly): "No, you're not."

CDP: "Yeah, it's just that--"

SWOONIE: "F**k you! No, you're not!" (Storms off)
 
The foot statue never made an appearance. Color me disappointed.
 
Lost Friday was my introduction to theCDP, and I'm certainly sad to see the end of it. Many of your captions have so very nearly made me piss myself. I still believe they were the funniest thing on the internet. Period.

However, I fully respect your decision. There's no reason we should all expect you to slave away on a Sunday evening, just for us. Just make sure you make the last one memorable.

I myself thought the episode was bloody brilliant, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a finale. I definetly think Michael Emerson deserves a large amount of recognition for his acting. He manages to make all his scenes flow brilliantly creepily.

I did feel the ending to the Season 3 finale was slightly more BAM though. The appearence of Jeremy Bentham (ahem) in the coffin wasn't quite as mind-blowing in comparison. The Desmond/Penelope scene totally made up for it though.

It's going to be a very long 8 months.
 
The inexplicable light was obviously the "pocket of negative chaotic space" being activated. Duh. Which everyone knows has the capability to move islands to other places/times/dimensions/filming sets without any obvious tsunami-like reprocussions...And also summons the magical flying unicorns. This is all of course completely believable and not hocky pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo at all. As Hurley attested in the lifeboat.
 
CDP- My last day of finals is Monday, June 9th. I'm pretty pumped.
 
good finale!
When Ben says they all need to go back, does he mean ALL? As in Desmond and Frank as well? Ben should have made Vincent turn the wheel, ha ha ha, if the polar bears can do it, so can Vinny.

I will miss Lost Monday :(
Watching Lost has always meant a fantastic recap a couple days later ... anyway to prolong the amount of Lost in a given week is great, but I understand why. As long as you randomly make fantastic picture captions, I'll be happy. You could have Lost Monday, but of 4 or 8 (15, 16, 23, 42 work as well, lol - oh dear)pictures with captions and that's it, just the pics with captions and we all discuss in comments. Brilliant!
 
You will not quit Lost Monday.

(stomps off)
 
The severe lack of Lost in my life makes me sad that I cannot actually participate in this conversation.

I'll just wait until September for Heroes to come back.
 
CDP -

I just wanted to say that I've been coming here since Season 3, Episode 1 and you've never disappointed. I agree with you that the time-travel Island-moving parts may be knocking this show off the rails.


I'm looking forward to the last blog. Great work; it will be missed.
 
MOE - True. Season 5 looks to be a lot about Locke and the Hostiles, so there should be no doubt that Richard will explain it to Locke at some point.

DUFF - Thanks for the kind words; I hope you stick around even though Lost Monday is wrapping up. Michael Emerson is a genius, and yeah, the Season 3 finale was a TV moment that will probably never be duplicated.

DOMSAR - See my plight, here? Lost has always been a 'weird' show, but now it's 'really weird.'

CARGIRL - Rad.

CAITLIN - My thought was that Ben said everyone needed to come back to the island, but the Missus seems to think otherwise. I guess we'll see. Thanks for the kind words; maybe a Caption Edition every once in a while would be nice?.... As it goes with everyone that found the CDP because of Lost Monday, I sincerely hope you continue to stick around.

SWOONIE - Sorry, dear. You're still welcome at CDP Headquarters anytime, though.

BRM - Indeed. Thanks for commenting.

EPHLAND - Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to comment and say such nice things. I hope you continue to check out the CDP as it enters its post-Lost phase.
 
No doubt---it won't be the last blog post, just the last Lost-related blog post :)
 
I did find the CDP b/c of Lost, but I've always read the blog even when there wasn't Lost related stuff, but I've only commented on Lost stuff, perhaps I'll make my presence known now. lol.

Also, do you still have one of those copies of your book lying around? I said I wanted one, and then got wrapped up in Londony stuff, but now I'm back in WI and willing to send you money.
 
I still have a few copies of the book lying around that I can personalize. Just click on the '65 Poor Life Decisions' logo in the sidebar and follow the easy directions. THANKS!
 

Post a Comment

<< Home