Thursday, July 31

10 Writing Questions For The CDP.


(The following is a 10-question writing survey forwarded to me by a CDP fan on my Facebook group. Let's do this.)

1. What Are Your Genres? – Humorous personal essays, nostalgia, pop culture examination, barbecue sauce historian.

2. How Many Books Are You Working On Now? – I can't say that I've started working on my second book yet, but we're getting there. I spent most of 2007 working on my debut, and I plan on devoting a year to my Sophomore effort. The goal is for it to be funnier than the first, sell more copies and pay for the kidney transplant that my cat and wife so desperately need.

3. Are You A Linear Or Chunk Writer? – Linear when it’s flowing easily; chunky when I can only think of one specific thing to say at a time. The angrier I am, the more linear the essay, it would appear. The more I feel the need to tell a story in a deliberate manner, the more I get hung up and chunkified. I can't say that prefer one to the other; they've both succeeded and failed numerous times.

4. What's The POV You’re Partial To? – First-person narrative, all the way. Although I’m experimenting with fifth-person in my next book, so every sentence will start with, “I heard from this guy who told somebody...” It's going to be a long book; very gossipy*.

5. What's The Theme That Keeps Cropping Up In Your Books? – Morality, failure, optimism in the face of American hypocrisy, nostalgia, egotism and Emma Watson. Nobody looks worse than me, and if they do, I make sure that they don't know my phone number.

6. How Many Days A Week Do You Write? – I write in some capacity every day I can; at least six days a week, sometimes as much as eight or ten.

7. What Time Of Day Do You Get Your Best Writing Done? – From 7am to 9am when I've had a decent night's sleep, and from 10pm to 1am most nights. I spend the rest of the day wishing I could write well when the sun is out. I've found that I have the best ideas when I'm either slipping into or out of consciousness.

8. Who Are Your Mentors? – I can’t stand that term. Make your own decisions and learn from your own mistakes. I only take hard advice from my wife; everything else is merely a suggestion from a stranger. Mentors are for the unsure and insecure; get out there and fail.

Of course, none of that is true. I listen to any advice I receive from anyone I respect.

9. Who Are Your Favorite Authors To Read? – I've been reading a lot of Chuck Klosterman recently, and I've appreciated David Sedaris' work in the past, before I realized that he was completely full of crap. We can also throw Kurt Vonnegut into the fray, and whomever wrote the Encyclopedia. Most of my current reading exists in the form of news wires and professional wrestling gossip sites.

10. Specific Literary Favorites? – There are very few books that I feel the need to read twice, Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo being one of them. I finished that damn book in the waiting room of the dentist’s office, and I was in tears when the nurses called my name. She thought I was scared to get my cavity filled, when in reality, I just realized that I no longer believed in God. Epiphanies happen in the strangest places sometimes.

Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day. I have a lot to think about.




*Thanks, Demitri.

Comments:
I like that picture of the pup.
 
I think I am going to teach Johnny Got His Gun this year. I have put it off, but this is the year. Your post is the second sign I have had this summer to lead me in that direction.
 
It's more relevant now than ever.
 
Just make sure to supplement it with that Metallica video.

Also, I think the fact that the CDP and I both used that same picture for blog posts this week is a sign of either a) the coming apocalypse or b) that we're both totally rad.
 
EMILY - Indeed. I've been running all my essays on auto-post this week; and I put all of this stuff together on Sunday. It's the raddest blog coincidence I've ever been a part of.

Course, when I saw your post yesterday, I was all, 'She's gonna think I ripped her off!'
 
I had a writing teacher in college tell us that Faulker wrote all day, and then drank all night. Thought about trying that? Heck, maybe that's what you do now.

Writing is a funny craft because part of us thinks that it's glamorous, but really it's just you and the blank page -- everything else just gets in the way.
 
Ideally, I'd write all night and drink all day. And grow a beard and disappear from public view.

That's the thing about writing. It's so pure that everything gets in the way of it. All this stuff I do with the CDP: Answering e-mails, updating the page, monitoring the traffic and social networking sites, random interviews and whatnot; hell, even these comments are keeping me from writing better stuff. I'm dying to trim the fat.

I have a lot to think about.
 
Who sent you this? Was it a class writing project? Good answers no matter where it cam from.
 
Thanks. I think it's just a meme that was circulating around the net, and was eventually forwarded my way by a dude named Mike.
 
Combine the drinking and the writing. That's what Kerouac did. And a lot of drugs. So what that he died from his liver exploding while watching Gilligan's Island? He had a good run.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home