Tuesday, July 15

CDP Mix-Tape Trade 3 Wrap Party (Part 4).

Mix-Tape Trade 3 Wrap Party.

Finally, after two weeks of sifting, listening, drinking, typing and deciphering handwritten track listings, I've managed to make it through all of the Mix-Tapes that were so generously sent to me for the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Exchange #3. Thank you very much; I appreciate it.

I wanted to take a brief moment to spotlight the mixes that were sent to me, as a small way of saying thank you. Therefore, for the last week, I've been doing just that. If you want to start from the beginning, you can check out Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 right here. Please enjoy.

Mix#16 - “Back To The 80’s” - by The CDP.

The Skinny: Some of my favorite 80's songs covered by modern punk, ska, electronic and emo bands. Nothing life-changing here; just a good time.

The Highlights
: Polysics complete dissection of The Knack's 'My Sharona,' Saves The Day tackling the Descendents 'Cheer,' Reel Big Fish tearing through 'Take On Me,' and the Dance Hall Crashers live version of Tom Petty's 'American Girl.'

By The Way
: My mix has not been delivered to its recipient yet. She was supposed to show up at Headquarters about a month ago, but schedules have been conflicting. I'll see her on Friday, however, when we're camping out in line for The Dark Knight premiere.

Additional Notes
: I included a bonus EP featuring non-80's covers of songs like 'My Generation,' 'Hey Jealousy' and 'I Will Survive.' If I were ranking it against the 18 other mixes I've had the pleasure to review, I'd place it about #9.

Mix #17 - “The Missus Cover Mix” - by The Missus.

The Skinny: Some of the Missus' favorite bands covering a slew of tracks that I have, for the most part, never heard of.

The Highlights
: Zoinks! handling the theme song to 'Greatest American Hero,' Carter Peace Mission covering the Dead Milkmen's 'The Thing That Only Eats Hippies,' and Japanese group Water Closet performing one of my favorite covers of all-time in the ALL classic, 'Can't Say.'

By The Way
: Zoinks! Stranger Anxiety album is quite possibly one of the greatest pop-punk albums ever recorded. It's worth a listen on iTunes if you're a fan of mid 90's catchy goodness with halfway-decent lyrics.

Additional Notes
: I didn't listen to a second of the Missus' mix for this review. That's what happens when you've been a couple for almost nine years. We've got it down to 98% non-verbal communication at this point.

Mix #18 - “Pin-Ups” - by Kate Carillo.

The Skinny: I remember Kate's last mix having a great theme and an overall sweeping mood of emotion, and this one is no different. From one track to the next, she managed to take a bunch of seemingly random cover songs and organize them into a journey of sorts, and I think she did a bang-up job of it.

The Highlights
: Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright absolutely tearing up a live version of Wham's 'Careless Whisper,' Johnny Cash taking on 'The Mercy Seat,' freaking Rockapella (remember Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?) doing a cover of 'Sixteen Tons,' and Biffy Clyro doing a disjointed and manic send-up of Weezer's 'Buddy Holly.' Any songs that I didn't mention were equal parts trippy, sexy and more-or-less awesome.

By The Way
: Kate typically has the funniest liner notes of anyone that sends me Mix-Tapes. She should write more funny stuff online.

Additional Notes
: Dave Grohl's cover of 'Tiny Dancer' showed up on no less than three different mixes, making it one of the most popular covers of the entire Mix-Tape Trade. No arguments here, as I hadn't heard it before this point, and it's changed my life for the better.

Mix #19 - “Cover Me This, Cover Me That” - by Smedley.

The Skinny: There's absolutely nothing skinny about this mix. Smedley sent me a 6-disk monolith of sound that's heavy in the 60's and 70's, but pretty much encapsulates an entire historic section of classic bands covering classic songs by other classic bands. I feel like I should have spent $99 ordering this collection from Time/Life at three in the morning.

The Highlights
: I'll be completely honest with you. I received this collection two days ago, and there was absolutely no way I was going to get through it in time to write a decent review. All I can do is hope that Smedley shows up on here and explains it for himself, because I don't think I'll be doing it justice. It's going to take me two weeks to sift through all this music.

By The Way
: Some people send me a handwritten track listing with descriptive notes. Smedley sent me a six-tab Excel spreadsheet. He seriously gave me about 140 songs that I didn't have for absolutely free, and I'm still a little stunned about the whole thing. I almost feel like I owe the man money. He truly went above and beyond, and his ego-free knowledge of music history rivals mine times about a hundred, and I even went to school for music history.

Additional Notes
: Damn.

Thanks for reading; sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day.

TOMORROW: HOW YOU CAN WIN AN OFFICIAL THEATRICAL POSTER FROM THE DARK KNIGHT!

Comments:
My covers weren't THAT uncommon :)
 
I am also still working through the six discs of deliciousness. And I would like to add that the final disk is Smedley's own covers. (I believe that is correct.) That dude knows how to rock!

And I must also say that this was a great start for me in the official exchanges. Whoever has me for the next has a lot to live up to. :)
 
As to the nonverbal communication, I hope you do not point and grunt with the expectation that Hathery will understand what you are trying to say. My husband tries that, and I instruct him to use his words as though he is a four year old. I refuse to be a mind reader cave woman. He could at least send me morse code messages.
 
I never grunt and point, but I sometimes drag the Missus around by the hair. I guess she likes it or something.

Yeah, Smedley and Hilbelink should talk more about that crazy Mix-Tape, because they'll have more in-depth info about it than I do.

HATHERY - Not really, but I didn't really know who did the original song in a lot of the cases. At least 75% of them.
 
Really? I can' think of any you wouldn't know besides the Bevis Frond and Lucinda Williams. Oh well! Mike seems pleased :)
 
Let's see if I can write something that makes sense.

CDP - You really need to listen to your wife's mix. It's wonderful.

I think a 6-CD mix is excessive, but maybe I'm just jealous.
 
HOSS - I get the feeling that it was a 12-disc Mix before Smedley buckled down and tightened the ole' belt a little; his library is out of control. I don't necessarily know if it's excessive, but I certainly know it's a lot to handle when you're already listening to 18 other albums over the course of two weeks. I really can't wait to give it the time it deserves.

Oh, and what I was saying about the Missus' Mix was that I've already heard most of the songs a billion times, therefore I didn't have to brush up on them. I hope it didn't sound like I was overlooking her hard work.

HATHERY - Okay, maybe half of them.
 
Very true--Ryan probably wouldn't even need to listen to my mix to know all the songs. We've pretty much heard each other's music so much that it makes us each want to vomit. haha.
 
I'm hoping for an invention to come along soon that's akin to a brain implant, that would allow someone to listen to whatever song they wanted in their head without bothering anyone else, and free of headphones or unnecessary wires or gadgets.

I'd be the first in line to get carved open.
 
It warms the cockles of my heart (wherever they are) that you know "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" So rocking.

Thanks for the humor nod, but I think I'll leave that to the professionals like you. I just figured I should at least put something interesting in there to make up for my non-handwritten notes. I don't even know if I can write anything with a pen besides my signature anymore...
 
I get a kick out of your 'Have I gone too far?' style. You could make billions; the French would love it.

For the record, I think Top Grunge was my favorite villian. Do it, Rockapella!

"Well, she'll ransack Pakistan, and run a scam in Scandinavia,
Then she'll stick 'em up down under and go pick-pocket Perth.
She put the "Miss" in misdemeanor when she stole the beans from Lima..."

 
Do what I did--have a font made of your handwriting :)
 
@CDP: Making billions would not be worth gaining the respect of the French. Ohhh. I kid, I kid.

""Steal their Seoul in South Korea, make Antarctica cry 'uncle'" - intense poetry, my man.

@Hathery: Font made of your handwriting?! You're blowing my mind right now. Did you just use a handwritten looking style, or did you really make your own font? I'm super intrigued.
 
KATE - I don't mean to step on Hathery's toes, but you're basically sent a form where you freehand write a bunch a letters and numbers, scan it in and a font is generated based on your actual handwriting. no fooling; I remember this being a big thing like, 15 years ago. It looks good.

Hathery, care to add?
 
@CDP: 15 years ago, eh? Damn these internets move quickly.

Unfortunately, a font based on my handwriting would still be a fail. I'm not exaggerating when I say it's really illegible. I always get those "You should be a doctor" jokes. Very original.
 
My handwriting sucked until I reached the 8th Grade and was pwn3d by OCD. Now, it pretty much looks like the Courier New font.
 
My handwriting looks like every other girl in the world---all round and whatnot. When I'm taking notes it's an absolute mess, though. I have my "good" handwriting, and my "functional" handwriting...they do not look the same.
 
Everyone in my family has fluent, robotic handwriting. I think at some point, a switch gets flipped.

We're also about 85% left-handed, too. I have yet to determine what that actually means, apart from the fact that I would always smear the ink with my palm when I wrote in a notebook.
 
@Hathery: I was always jealous of the girls with the pretty block handwriting. My style was closer to the boy who held the pencil to close to the tip. My "Will you go out with me? Circle yes or no" notes were therefore sometimes confusing. Still haunts me.
 
You have to be extremely careful when holding too close to the tip.

I'm a 26 year old man wearing a tie, and yet I still felt compelled to make that joke.
 
When I was in college, I made a conscious effort to change my handwriting. It used to be loopy and girly; now it looks like it came from a Zaner Bloser cursive manual. Sometimes it gets a little messy and looks like Zaner Bloser on crack.
 
@CDP: I'm a 24 year old woman not wearing a tie (though that may be a hot look), and I don't know if I get it? Damn.

@Hathery: I had to look up Zaner Bloser...and boy, am I glad I did. Who knew there was such a complex teaching system for handwriting?! It looks like it's on crack as it is, so I can only imagine the lovely lady loops of your handwriting...
 
Hilbelink made the Zaner Bloser joke--I don't even know who that is! hehe.
 
Ugh. Sorry Hilbelink. And Hathery.

I get easily confused. Especially whilst trying to make a poor Black Eyed Peas joke. My apologies all around.
 
KATE - I was making a wenis joke. I'm a dork.

You did not just say 'lovely lady loops.' I snortled a little.
 
I have some of the worst handwriting you have ever seen. Seriously. The only person who even has handwriting to compare it to is my brother.

In high school, I had a well-meaning teacher that said I really needed to work on my handwriting. He said, "If you weren't going to college, I wouldn't say anything. But you are going to be a well-educated professional." As he walked away, I said, "But what if I want to be a doctor?"

He whipped around and said, "I knew you were going to say that."
 
I gotta say, your handwriting is pretty hilarious. When I picked up your package at the Post Office and saw the label, I looked at the Missus and said, "This has gotta be Mike's."

I had a teacher that didn't want me writing 2's and 4's with a loop-motion, so she would mark each question wrong where I did that; even when the answer was correct.

What a bitch.
 
We're also about 85% left-handed, too. I have yet to determine what that actually means...

Probably that you're of the devil.

Also, I would like to express my gratitude that someone else actually knows what Zaner Bloser is. When I was first learning cursive, I lived in Minnesota, and apparently (at the time, at least) they were teaching Zaner Bloser style instead of D'nealian. When I then moved to Illinois, I took no end of grief for all of my fancy loops and curls.

Zaner Bloser rules! Even if it is a ridiculous name!
 
Teaching people to all write the same? That sounds a little too Third Reich for me.
 
Every pen pal I've ever had from Europe writes the same---exactly like Carrot Duff. :)
 
My family teases me about my handwriting appearing so textbookish, and my students complain that they can't read my handwriting. Seriously, they all learned it in third grade.

Third grade...Third Reich...coincidence?

HOSS: I would be interested to see your handwriting...I have deciphered some pretty terrible handwriting over the years. I feel as though I am translating from another language when I grade certain papers.
 
Hilbelink - My wife is a teacher and she says the same thing. In fact in high school, my handwriting was named "Mike-roglphics" while my brother's was "Odiean-script" (his nickname was Otis -- long story there).

Maybe I should scan something in show it to you. CDP was right -- not only is my handwriting really messy, but it's also very distinct.
 
Very late into the party. Perhaps this can be carried over into tomorrow. "Covered Me That" is disk six, and it's the ORIGINALS of many songs that are only known from the cover version. Like "Tell It Like It Is" by Aaron Neville (not Heart).
 
My bad...obviously, I have ADD issues. I misread the emails because I was reading the quickly. Although, I am slightly disappointed that I will not hear a guy and his guitar. :)

You still rock. I am currently enjoying disk 5.
 
SMEDLEY - Tomorrow's post is locked and loaded, but I can give you your due next week, once I've adequately been pwn3d by your Mix.
 
@CDP: pwn3d twice in one comment thread = magic.
 
Oh, and it's only excessive if it sucks. I usually make between 4-8 CDs on any mix because I have a lot of stories to tell, along with subplots and sidebars. Oh, and just good tunes.

I have a six-disc set ready to go for my favorite admin assistant at work. She's moving from Minnesota to St. Louis and I made a mix that will occupy the drive down there when she's moving.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home