Friday, July 11

A Lifetime Of Music.

A Lifetime Of Music.

Over on Will's blog, he decided to make a list of his favorite albums for every year that he's been alive; a fun little meme that's apparently making the rounds as of late. He shot an e-mail my way suggesting I do the same, presumably so he could poop all over my superficial tastes and set the wet mass ablaze with familiar embarrassment and pungent failure.

Nonetheless, I will oblige and hope that you do the same in the comments section over the next few days (the conclusion to the Mix-Tape reviews will arrive next week). Bear in mind that this isn't a list of your favorite albums of all-time, but rather a list of what your favorite album was for each year of your life. I immediately saw the difference in the two when I got to 1996 and realized that I bought about 80 amazing records that year. My total collection currently stands at around 3000 albums, so this took me a little while.

Also realize that this is absolutely impossible to do accurately from memory and 100% reliant on personal tastes, so let's try to stay loose on the 'OMG!! I can't believe you didn't include this! BOOZERZ!' business. Just something fun to piss away the end of the workweek.

Please enjoy. Here we go!

1982
Favorite Album: Everything Falls Apart - Husker Du
Runner-Up: Milo Goes To College - Descendents

1983
Favorite Album: Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Runner-Up: War - U2

1984
Favorite Album: Hatful Of Hollow - The Smiths
Runner-Up: Out Of Step - Minor Threat

1985
Favorite Album: Flip Your Wig - Husker Du
Runner-Up: Tim - The Replacements

1986
Favorite Album: Reign In Blood - Slayer
Runner-Up: Licensed To Ill - The Beastie Boys

1987
Favorite Album: Louder Than Bombs - The Smiths
Runner-Up: Pleased To Meet Me - The Replacements

1988
Favorite Album: It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy
Runner-Up: Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.

1989
Favorite Album: Disintegration - The Cure
Runner-Up: Energy - Operation Ivy
Honorable Mention: Doolittle - The Pixies

1990
Favorite Album: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Green Day
Runner-Up: Allroy Saves - ALL

1991
Favorite Album: Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Runner-Up: Nevermind - Nirvana

1992
Favorite Album: Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
Runner-Up: Kerplunk! - Green Day

1993
Favorite Album: Siamese Dream - The Smashing Pumpkins
Runner-Up: August And Everything After - Counting Crows
Honorable Mention: Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu-Tang Clan

1994
Favorite Album: Dookie - Green Day
Runner-Up: Weezer ('The Blue Album') - Weezer
Honorable Mention: The Downward Spiral - Nine Inch Nails

1995
Favorite Album: Insomniac - Green Day
Runner-Up: Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness - The Smashing Pumpkins

1996
Favorite Album: Pinkerton - Weezer
Runner-Up: All Eyez On Me - 2Pac
Honorable Mention: 1977 - Ash

1997
Favorite Album: Whatever And Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five
Runner-Up: The Colour And The Shape - Foo Fighters
Honorable Mention: Anywhere But Here - The Ataris

1998
Favorite Album: Hello Rockview - Less Than Jake
Runner-Up: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel
Honorable Mention: Keasbey Nights - Catch 22

1999
Favorite Album: Through Being Cool - Saves The Day
Runner-Up: Something To Write Home About - The Get Up Kids
Honorable Mention: Clarity - Jimmy Eat World

2000
Favorite Album: Relationship Of Command - At The Drive In
Runner-Up: Left And Leaving - The Weakerthans

2001
Favorite Album: Stay What You Are - Saves The Day
Runner-Up: The Moon Is Down - Further Seems Forever

2002
Favorite Album: For Young Electric Pop! - Polysics
Runner-Up: You Forgot It In People - Broken Social Scene
Honorable Mention: Dial-A-Song - They Might Be Giants

2003
Favorite Album: Reconstruction Site - The Weakerthans
Runner-Up: Give Up - The Postal Service
Honorable Mention: Frengers - Mew

2004
Favorite Album: Funeral - Arcade Fire
Runner-Up: Poison Arrows - Communique
Honorable Mention: Satanic Panic In The Attic - Of Montreal

2005
Favorite Album: The Sunlandic Twins - Of Montreal
Runner-Up: Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
Honorable Mention: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!

2006
Favorite Album: Cum Laude! - The Velvet Teen
Runner-Up: Audition - P.O.S.
Honorable Mention: And The Glass-Handed Kites - Mew

2007
Favorite Album: Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
Runner-Up: Reunion Tour - The Weakerthans

Sound off in the comments section, share your picks and enjoy your weekend.

Comments:
That's a solid list, top spots and runners up. I'd flip reverse 1985 but otherwise I'm not going to argue these. I will argue that the inclusion of a compilations like Louder Than Bombs and Hatful of Hollow is unfair but that's just my opinion**.



** But come on, they are both compilations for god sakes. Why not chose 26 greatest hits albums. Why not choose Bob Marley Legend while you're at it.
 
I only kept the compilation albums around for the years that were weak to me; I wasn't 100% in love with the idea, either. I cut as many Greatest Hits albums as I could (The Cars, The Cure and I think a few others), but I felt bad about tossing The Smiths, as I'm such a big Morrissey mark.

This is why I did Runners-Up. I initially had about 130 albums listed. This was freaking hard.
 
I was actually quite surprised to see The Smiths and The Cure on your list. I guess you have grown musically since you took over the stereo in the Buick. :)

I probably could not do a list like this. My musical repertoire is not nearly as extensive, so I would not even know where to begin.

I am impressed.
 
Unfortunately, I did not get back onto the computer last night to appreciate the Queen conversation.

I had the opportunity to see Queen + Paul Rodgers, but I did not go. I would have considered if John Deacon was in, but he declined participation in the tour. Apparently, he is the only surviving member with money management skills.

Also, Robbie Williams does an orgasmic cover of "We are the Champions." I made my seniors watch the video after A Knight's Tale, and I got so excited that I jumped on one of them. (He was a good sport about it. He had me as a teacher several times, so nothing I do surprises him any more.)

Sorry to bring this into today. Well, actually I am not really sorry. I think I will write a post on my own blog about my love affair with Queen. It goes back to the summer after my freshmen year...I was at Lakeland College Music Camp...
 
1990
Favorite Album: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Green Day


I don't think that came out in 1990. Maybe 39/Smooth or one of the EP's did, but I don't think the compilation did.

1996
Favorite Album: Pinkerton - Weezer
Runner-Up: All Eyez On Me - 2Pac
Honorable Mention: 1977 - Ash


This is sad and wrong. Ash's 1977 would chew up and spit out Pinkerton, and still want to crap on it.
 
I couldn't do one of these lists either...I am WAY too lazy to check what years my favorite albums came out. Our discs aren't in alpha order right now, so finding the one you're looking for is like a snipe hunt...
 
It goes back to the summer after my freshmen year...I was at Lakeland College Music Camp...

Sherry went to Music Camp there one year. She said the dorms smelled funny.
 
HILBELINK - It was a tough list. When I got to the mid-90's, I was more or less screwed. 1993-1995 was just insane with good albums. Then 2000-2003 was a barren landscape.

HATHERY - Personal preference is not 'wrong,' I went over this very clearly at the beginning of the post. Write your own damn list, and maybe I won't beat the crap out of you when I get home tonight.

Also, there is controversy about when 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours was released. The copyight on the album says 1990, but the rumor is that Lookout! didn't ship it until 1991.

Now that our CD's are out of order, I'm strongly considering organizing them by release date, or the date in which we purchased them. I remember these things.
 
"He had me as a teacher several times, so nothing I do surprises him any more"

Giggity.
 
"Now that our CD's are out of order, I'm strongly considering organizing them by release date, or the date in which we purchased them. I remember these things."


It worked for Rob Gordon, why not you?
 
MOE - Indeed.

I'm totally doing it. I'm sick of alphabetical order. Furthermore, I don't really buy CD's anymore, so why not try something new? Shake things up a little bit in the Media Room; go hog-freaking-wild!

Yahooo!
 
It seems that a few other folks I know who did this all took days on it. Not me, 15 minutes tops. I'm helped by my savant like recall of release dates though.

Also, you might be surprised at how few CD's I actually own maybe 700, I've sold off a few hundred in the past few years and I've bough everything else digitally since about 2004.

I'm still against compilations as they are essentially ringers created over a period of years and not true new releases but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
 
I was taken aback at when some of these albums were released, in comparision to the time when I really started digging into them.

Digital really is the way to go. I haven't purchased a CD in months, and my iPod is hooked up through my car. I'll be surprised if I buy another 20 Compact Discs in my lifetime.

Compilations and Greatest Hits collections really aren't fair for this list, not as much as they are ringers, but because none of the songs were released in that particular year (besides those bonus tracks that some bands throw on for encouragement to buy). I won't go back and remove them, but if I were to get serious about it, I'd have to make them exempt.
 
HATHERY - Personal preference is not 'wrong,' I went over this very clearly at the beginning of the post. Write your own damn list, and maybe I won't beat the crap out of you when I get home tonight.

Sorry, but your preference is clearly wrong in that situation.
 
If we're going to get all technical about it, All Eyez On Me is consistently referred to as the greatest hip-hop album of all-time, and Pinkerton was so influential I shan't discuss it further. Without question, 1977 kicks serious ass, but it won't hold a critical candle to the other two from a historical basis.

Furthermore, I wasn't even going to include the damn album, but I did so because it's one of your favorites, and I'm a reasonably nice guy.
 
I put up an incomplete list at killersandbox.com

I'll finish it later. Right now, I gots to see Hell Boy II

Later, Benjamin
 
That ween; I wanted to see Hellboy II, too.

Just for that, his list is being copypasta'd without permission:

1980
Favorite Album: Is this Real? - The Wipers
Runner-Up: Nobodies Heroes - Stiff Little Fingers

1981
Favorite Album: The Adolescents - The Adolescents
Runner-Up: Fat - Descendents

1982
Favorite Album: Milo Goes to College - Descendents
Runner-Up: Everything Falls Apart - Husker Du

1983
Favorite Album: Painting Smiles on a Dead man - The Last
Runner-Up: Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

1984
Favorite Album: First Four Years - Black Flag
Runner-Up: Zen Arcade - Hüsker Dü

1985
Favorite Album: I Don't want to Grow Up - Descendents
Runner-Up: Tim - The Replacements

1986
Favorite Album:
Runner-Up:

1987
Favorite Album: All - Descendents
Runner-Up:

1988
Favorite Album: Surfer Rosa - The Pixies
Runner-Up: Confessions - The Last

1989
Favorite Album: Allroy's Revenge - ALL
Runner-Up: Energy - Operation Ivy

1990
Favorite Album: Repeater - Fugazi
Runner-Up: Allroy Saves - ALL

1991
Favorite Album: Nevermind - Nirvana
Runner-Up: 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours - Green Day

1992
Favorite Album: Automatic for the People - R.E.M.
Runner-Up:

1993
Favorite Album: In Utero - Nirvana
Runner-Up: Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins

1994
Favorite Album: Smash - The Offspring
Runner-Up: Green Day - Dookie

1995
Favorite Album: Face to Face - Big Choice
Runner-Up: Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters

1996
Favorite Album:
Runner-Up:

1997
Favorite Album: Colour and the Shape - Foo Fighters
Runner-Up: Dude Ranch - Blink 182

1998
Favorite Album: Hello Rockview - Less Than Jake
Runner-Up: Mass Nerder - ALL

1999
Favorite Album: Local 1500 - Pavers
Runner-Up: Blue Skies Broken Hearts Next Twelve Exits - The Ataris

2000
Favorite Album: No Kill, No Beep Beep - Q and not U
Runner-Up:

2001
Favorite Album:
Runner-Up:

2002
Favorite Album: Return to the Island of no Return - The Pavers
Runner-Up: Closed - Drag the River

2003
Favorite Album: Transantlantacism - Death Cab for Cutie
Runner-Up: Guitar Romantic - Exploding Hearts

2004
Favorite Album: God Bless Your Black Heart - The Paper Chase
Runner-Up: Cool to be You - Descendents

2005
Favorite Album: Resolve - Lagwagon
Runner-Up:

2006
Favorite Album: 12 Small steps one Giant Disappointment - Bad Astronaut
Runner-Up: Lemonheads - Lemonheads

2007
Favorite Album:
Runner-Up:

first half of 2008
Favorite Album: Adventure Boy - Scott Reynolds and the Steaming Beast
Runner-Up: Stay Down - The Smoking Popes
 
There's a lot of Husker Du on there for someone who had no clue who Bob Mould was :) haha.
 
Beh-heh-heh! I need to remember to get tickets to that Bob Mould show coming up.
 
Yep, sure do!!

Here's a really cool video from my favorite 1985 album. Check it out.
 
Blast! I've been SlickRolled once again!
 
Beh heh heh heh. You always fall for it :)
 
Boredom at work will lead to lists. My only qualifier here is that I'm sure I left something out.

1981
Black Flag - "Damaged"

1982
The Clash - "Combat Rock"

1983
Prince - "1999"

1984
Minor Threat - "Out of Step"

1985
The Pogues - "Rum, Sodomy & the Lash"

1986
The Pet Shop Boys - "Disco"

1987
U2 - "The Joshua Tree"

1988
The Sugarcubes - "Life's Too Good"

1989
Operation Ivy - "Energy"

1990
Sonic Youth - "Goo"

1991
Orbital - "Orbital"

1992
Sarah McLachlan - "Solace"
Tori Amos - "Little Earthquakes"

1993
Bjork - "Debut"

1994
Sarah McLachlan - "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy"
Jeff Buckley - "Grace"
Portishead - "Dummy"

1995
Alanis Morissette - "Jagged Little Pill"

1996
Cibo Mato - "Viva! La Woman"
Beth Orton - "Trailer Park"
Underworld - "Second Toughest In the Infants"

1997
Radiohead - "OK Computer"
The Prodigy - "Fat of the Land"
Roni Size - "New Forms"

1998
Massive Attack - "Mezzanine"
Lauryn Hill - "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill"
VAST - "Visual Audio Sensory Theater"

1999
Moby - "Play"
Me'shell NdegeOcello - "Bitter"

2000
PJ Harvey - "Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea"
Amon Tobin - "Supermodified"

2001
Fugzai - "The Argument"
Sigur Rós - "Agætis Byrjun"

2002
Sleater Kinney - "One Beat"
Super Furry Animals - "Rings Around the World"
Neko Case - "Blacklisted"

2003
Sarah McLachlan - "Afterglow"
Explosions in the Sky - "The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place"
Basement Jaxx - "Kish Kash"

2004
Scissor Sisters - "Scissor Sisters"
Green Day - "American Idiot"
The Ditty Bops - "The Ditty Bops"

2005
Sleater Kinney - "The Woods"
Fiona Apple - "Extraordinary Machine"
Brandi Carlile - "Brandi Carlile"

2006
Neko Case - "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood"
Regina Spektor - "Begin to Hope"

2007
Tegan and Sara - "The Con"
El P - "I'll Sleep When You're Dead"

2008 (so far)
Portishead - "Third"
Santogold - "Santogold"
Sia - "Some People Have Real Problems"
 
I just realized that this list would be significantly harder to do with age. It's not too bad going back to albums in the 80's, but if you had to go back to like 1950 or something...that would be very difficult. You'd have to have a very big music collection.
 
That's a great list, Emily! Thank you very much for sharing; I'm liking all the Operation Ivy love.

HATHERY - I think this list only works if you're under the age of 50. That would be impossible.
 
You're welcome! Sorry for taking up so much space in your comments section. :P

That Operation Ivy album was a life-changer for me, no joke.

Also, when will you be posting the next installment of mix tape reviews? I'm chompin' at the bit over here.
 
a) No problem; that's what I wanted.

2) Me, too. I have it framed in my Rumpus Room.

d) The conclusion of the Mix-Tape reviews should arrive Monday, yo.
 
I went through a brief phase in college when I greeted people with Op Ivy lyrics rather than actually greeting phrases such as, "Hello." It confused people at Kwik Trip. But many of these people were drunk or high anyway.
 
"Hello, Welcome to Kwik Trip. The position being taken is not to be mistaken for attempted education or righteous accusation, only a description, just an observation of the pitiful condition of our degeneration. Come again."

(and yes, I did to that from memory. haha)
 
to=do
 
Is it just me, or are there 3 copies of the same CD in the middle of that picture? What CD do we have 3 copies of?!? Maybe Free All Angels.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
That is not a photo of our collection, it's a Googled one. I lost the photo I took of ours, and I didn't think you'd want me to take a new one last night while you were sleeping, as I was very close to doing.
 
Hathery - I could do this dating back to about 1955but not much further.
 
Hathery-Sweeeeeeeeeet.
 
Those aren't our CD's? Weird. Our CD case is all warped like that, and don't we have that Ramones collection? haha.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home