Wednesday, April 15

CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade #5 - Wrap Party 3.



Finally, after two weeks of sifting, listening, drinking, typing and deciphering handwritten track listings, I've managed to make it through all of the Mix-Tapes that were so generously sent to me for the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade 5. Thank you very much; I appreciate it.

I wanted to take a brief moment to spotlight all of the great mixes that were sent to me, as a small way of saying thank you. Therefore, for the next several days, I'll be doing just that. Please enjoy.

Review #5 - Sherry.

I love Sherry. One of the things that I love most about her is her specific, unflinching and devoted commitment to the things that she loves the most. This comes through when it comes to the music she listens to, sometimes in a rather annoying fashion. I mean, when she gets on a kick, she will absolutely listen an album to death if given the opportunity. Therefore, it’s no surprise to me that her countdown would consist of ’15 Songs I Could Listen To For The Rest Of My Life.’ Unsurprisingly, I believe her when she says that, but surprisingly, this Mix is fantastic. A good range of songwriters, genres, moods and emotions, this is a solid Mix, and probably her best to date.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
#14 - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
#13 - At Your Funeral – Saves The Day
#12 - Our Retired Explorer – The Weakerthans
#10 - Friend Of Mine – Big Drill Car
#9 - First Time – Smoking Popes
#4 - Together Forever In Love – Go Sailor
#1 - Fade Into You – Mazzy Star

Review #6 - The CDP.


I’ve never reviewed my own Mix before, but I decided to throw it into the fray, because so many people ask me what my Mixes look like. Truth of the matter is that I’m a rather middle-of-the-road Mix-Tape creator, especially considering some of the brilliant works of art that I see every time I do one of these Trades. As the creator of the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade, I find it fascinating to see how much of themselves people put into their Mixes, and it always inspires me to do the same. Therefore, for the Countdown, I put together 30 tracks that I find emotionally touching in one way or another. Tracks that have brought me to tears, tracks that have talked me down from the figurative ledge; emo stuff like that. Spread out over two discs, I sort of felt bad for the recipient, as it was essentially a buildup of some of the saddest and most depressing songs ever written; not exactly a Mix you’ll want to listen to every day. That being said, it’s solid, and I tried to make it as varied as possible. You be the judge.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
#28 - Action And Action – The Get Up Kids
#26 - Poor Celine – The Velvet Teen
#25 - Give It A Name – At The Drive-In
#21 - I’ll Get There - ALL
#19 - Burn Your Way Home – Algebra One
#16 - Become One Anything One Time – The Promise Ring
#9 - Stand By Me – Ben E. King
#4 - Wake Up – Arcade Fire
#3 – Nightswimming – R.E.M.
#2 - Hope There’s Someone – Antony & The Johnsons
#1 - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea – Neutral Milk Hotel

Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day; Part 4 arrives tomorrow.

Comments:
I've recently become slightly obsessed with NMH. I was close to putting their creamable 'The Fool' on my mix, but it didn't quite crack my top 10...

Which brings me onto my second point: I though the main idea was 10 tracks? Why is everyone doing a countdown of 15/20/30? Now I want to go back and add all of the songs I so painfully had to remove while I was trimming down my mix.
 
NMH is amazing and completely worthy of obsession.

Also, I remember saying when this theme was first launched that it could be more than a Top 10. I mean, the goal was to do a countdown in some sort of rigid fashion, but the number of tracks was open for personal preference. Most people did a Top 10, however, which is perfectly fine by me.
 
I got Sherry's mix on the first CDP Mix Tape trade and I still listen to it.

And I think Nightswimming is REM's most beautiful song. Their best? Probably not, tho it is up there.
 
Keep the sharp objects away and start takin' Zoloft, dude...(heh...)
 
HOSS - I agree; probably not the 'best' REM song, but man, that piano gets me every time.

SMED - I think my Mix would be better appreciated in the Autumn months; all I know is I can't get through it without a total breakdown.
 
This is all filling me with regret that I didn't participate. I was going to do a countdown of best lyricists. It probably would have also had lots of sad songs. But beautifully written sad songs! *sigh* What might have been.
 
I have some friends that are pretty big REM fans and they really don't care for "Automatic For The People". Their reasoning? "Anyone could have recorded it and it would be great -- so it's not a great REM Album."
 
You may be right. In November, after my birthday and before Thanksgiving, when it's 40 degrees cloudy and raining and there's just bleah all around.
 
But, I have a bias for happy tunes, as you know, because I dislike wallowing in my own squalor musically since I do wallow in it so well and often normally. Now I must go to work here in the Milwaukee World Club waiting for check-in at my hotel, so I need happy tunes. Where's my sunshine mix?
 
I actually despise "Nightswimming", and this pisses Ryan off to no end. :)

Way to go on putting "Poor Celine" on your mix, Ryan. The swell in that song literally gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. Judah Nagler is my hero.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home