Thursday, April 16

CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade #5 - Wrap Party 4.



Finally, after two weeks of sifting, listening, drinking, typing and deciphering handwritten track listings, I've managed to make it through all of the Mix-Tapes that were so generously sent to me for the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade 5. Thank you very much; I appreciate it.

I wanted to take a brief moment to spotlight all of the great mixes that were sent to me, as a small way of saying thank you. Therefore, for the next several days, I'll be doing just that. Please enjoy.

Mix #7/8 - Fiona/Heather.

By this point, every time we do another Mix-Tape Trade, I look forward to seeing if Fiona and Heather are going to jump on board. Seriously, getting a package in the mail with their names on it is like Christmas in...whatever month I happen to be in at the time. They both stun me equally with their creativity, beautifully handcrafted liner notes and consistently above-average Mixes. Maybe San Francisco just creates an aura of artistry that simply turns you into an intellectual; whatever the case, it's always a treat.

Fiona's Mix was entitled 'It's Warm & Sunny Here: Top 20 Songs That Reference San Francisco and California.' Now, if you know anything about me, you'll know that I'm not the biggest fan of songs that reference California. Typically, they're pompous, eye-rollingly ridiculous radio ballads that would make me wretch regardless of what city they were name-dropping, but Fiona came through like she always does, compiling a terrific and varied collection of many genres and styles. And if finding 20 decent tracks that suited the theme wasn't cool enough, she accentuated her liner notes with personalized photographs of some of her favorite California locations. Beautiful, and a fitting advertisement for the coast, as if they needed one in the first place.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
#17 - Highway 101 - Social Distortion
#13 - Fake Tales Of San Francisco - Arctic Monkeys
#12 - Cold Wind - Arcade Fire
#8 - California - Hollywood Undead (simply for being the filthiest song I've heard in months)
#4 - Alone In Santa Cruz - The Ataris
#1 - When The Lights Go Down In The City - Journey

The first thing I noticed about Heather's Mix were the adorably soothing liner notes, laid out like a handmade greeting card of construction paper, depicting a winding road leading off into the sunset. I would soon find that this fit her theme, 'Songs For A Road Trip On A Sunny Day,' perfectly. Now, I don't know much about Ms. Fiona, but she can drive cross-country with me any day of the week, crafting a winding, emotional, fleeting and beautiful collection of 10 solid driving tunes.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
#9 - Song For Sunshine - Belle & Sebastian
#6 - Angel Won't You Call Me - The Decemberists
#4 - Virtue & Wine - Sondre Lerche
#2 - Orbiting - The Weepies
#1 - 7/4 (Shoreline) - Broken Social Scene (one of my favorite songs ever)

Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day. Lost Friday arrives tomorrow.

Comments:
Hooray for Sondre Lerche!
 
Ah, Lights. Memories of junior high dances and guitarists with huge Jew-Fros. Now I'm wondering why I never asked Mindy Howell out on a real date instead of just dancing with her in 8th grade...

(Yes, I'm that old, Journey was 8th grade music...)
 
"Jew-Fros" :)
 
I still love Heather's mix -- filled with stuff that I haven't heard before, but I'm anxious to test it out on a summers drive.
 
Hmm. My mixtape wasn't mentioned on here.
 
Yours is up for review next week, I believe :)

And I've decided that my favorite songs on your mix, Mr. Hoss, are both the Derek Webb songs. I might heart him.
 
OK thanks. I assumed it was just this week.
 
Hathery: I heart Derek Webb too. And it may make you like him more when I say I heard him say "shit" at a Christian music festival. He was trying to make a point that more people cared about his language than all the other bigger problems in the world. And, what do you know -- he didn't have his planned second performance.
 
Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. This theme was one of the best, I enjoyed making my mix and was rewarded with a really great mix.
@Hathery - When I started just a very large general play list of songs that may end up on this mix there were at least 10 Sondre Lerche songs, he's one of the best for zoning out on long trips.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home