Monday, April 20

CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade #5 - Wrap Party 5.



Finally, after two weeks of sifting, listening, drinking, typing and deciphering handwritten track listings, I've managed to make it through all of the Mix-Tapes that were so generously sent to me for the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade 5. Thank you very much; I appreciate it.

I wanted to take a brief moment to spotlight all of the great mixes that were sent to me, as a small way of saying thank you. Therefore, for the remainder of the week, I'll be doing just that. Please enjoy.

Mix #9 - Carrot Duff.

Duff was certainly talking a big game prior to him sending his Mix my way. Our only International participant this time around, he was making plenty of allusions to 'The Best Mix Ever,' and whatnot, so I was very surprised to see a CD consisting of the 'Top 10 Rock Instrumentals' show up on the doorstep of CDP Headquarters. I mean, was he aware of the current, collective attention span of the modern American music fan? Did he honestly think we could hack such mind-blowing musical prowess in one sitting? And what was up with these lyricless, 9+ minute tracks, anyway?

Of course, Carrot Duff brought the pain, and in a good way, with a Mix that was significantly more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. Throwing in Brit Pop, good old-fashioned thrash, funk and acoustic numbers, this was an absolute pleasure from start to finish. Good flow, good back-and-forth, and good intuition to somehow make an hour of instrumental music seem constantly fresh and enjoyable.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
#10 - F***in' In The Bushes - Oasis
#9 - The Gargoyle - Paul Gilbert
#7 - Nun Chuka Kata - Buckethead
#5 - Friend Of The Night - Mogwai
#1 - Threads - This Will Destroy You

Mix #10 - Wigglycito.

Wigglycito's Mix was the first that I had received in the mail, and it was also the Mix that I was most looking forward to listening to. From the first moment I laid eyes on the fantastic, 8-Bit inspired cover art, I knew that 'The Top 10 Songs From Video Games' was going to be right up my alley. Much like Carrot Duff's Mix, these tracks were largely instrumental tracks, so I was looking forward to the ebb and flow of a Mix that relies on maintaining the attention span of the listener.

Bear in mind, that this wasn't just Atari 2600 and NES music, here. This was a tribute to the modern masterpeices that have accompanied the most current generation of gaming titles, an art that somehow goes unnoticed amongst all the leaps and bounds in technological advances. Music makes or breaks a game, and Wigglycito's ear is varied and understanding of this fact. From symphonic epics, bouncy Wii themes, hip-hop background tracks and a classic tune sung by a robot, this Mix was a triumph in that is brought to light a fantastic idea for this Trade, showing a ton of creativity and respect for the gaming genre.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
#10 - Main Theme (Fallout 3) - Inon Zur
#8 - Max 300 (DDRMAX) - Omega
#6 - Princess Peach's Castle (Super Smash Bros. Melee) - Tadashi Ikegami
#3 - The Vengeful Spartan (God Of War) - Gerard Marino
#2 - Otherworld (Final Fantasy X) - Bill Muir
#1 - Still Alive (Portal) - GLADOS

Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day; Part 6 arrives tomorrow.

Comments:
Thanks man.

I wish I went back and did a Top 20. I found so many others I wanted to use after I completed it.

"this Mix was a triumph" - I lol'd
 
It was hard to overstate my satisfaction.
 
Very creative this time! Love the ideas! If I did a rock instrumental list, you'd get sick of King Crimson and Zappa...
 
I agree with smed -- both of these were ultra-creative. Rock instrumentals? Good video game music that isn't all from Final Fantasy??

Just . .. wow
 
SMED/HOSS - I agree; this was good stuff. Seriously, this was the best Mix Trade we've ever done in terms of creativity and breadth of genres. I thought this would be the last Trade I did, but I think it's a must that we roll along to #6 late this Summer.
 
I take your kind words with much gratitude. Even though you clearly don't seem to appreciate the work of the best guitarist on Earth, John Frusciante, I'll let it slide.
 
DUFF - Back in the day, Frusciante pissed me off when he decided to choose heroin over the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's awesome, don't get me wrong, but there was so much drama with him in the 90's that I haven't really gotten over it.
 
I think Joe Satriani would like a word with you, Carrot Duff.
 
hmmmm, is there a way I can get my hands on Duff's instrumental mixtape? I need instrumental rock to listen to while I do work, and I'm tired of looking for Ratatat and Explosions in the Sky on sketchy streaming sites.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home