Thursday, April 23

CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade #5 - Wrap Party 8.



Finally, after two weeks of sifting, listening, drinking, typing and deciphering handwritten track listings, I've managed to make it through all of the Mix-Tapes that were so generously sent to me for the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade 5. Thank you very much; I appreciate it.

I wanted to take a brief moment to spotlight all of the great mixes that were sent to me, as a small way of saying thank you. Therefore, for the last two weeks, I've been doing just that. Today, I'll be spotlighting the 15th and final Mix sent to me this time around, along with drawing the winner of the Free CDP Mix-Tape T-Shirt!

Mix #15 - Smedley.

Last week, I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Smedley for dinner here in Madison. As I sat there, nursing my second Spotted Cow of the evening and watching SportsCenter on the bar television, my mind began to wonder; just who exactly was it that I was about to meet?

Who I met turned out to be a ridiculously-motivated, sharp-as-a-tack, Midwestern family man and virtual musical library of obscurity that never ran out of conversation or interesting things to say over the next two hours. I’ve had the pleasure and fortune to meet a lot of CDP readers from around the nation, and I never tire of seeing the different ages, generational gaps, personalities and walks of life that they all seem to come from. Smedley was no different.

Anyone who’s paid attention to the Mix-Tape Trade knows that Smedley doesn’t screw around when it comes time to burn a CD or two (or six). For our Cover Songs Mix last year, he sent me well over 100 different cover songs, exactly none of which I knew existed, including a bonus disc of covers that were made more famous by the artist doing the covering. Some people send me liner notes; this dude sends me Excel spreadsheets, and it’s always a treat when they show up in my Inbox. Spanning every decade, every genre and every corner of the record store, Smedley’s latest Mix was equal parts personal and behemoth; the Top 100 Most-Listened To Songs On His iPod.

For three days, I poured through this compilation, mixing pop, folk, metal, novelty songs, sunshine pop, classic alternative, tremendous indie and what I could only accurately describe as ‘Modern AM Gold.’ It was all here; the true listening patterns of a modern man with varied tastes for the pre and post-modern, and everything in between. Every time I get a Mix from Smed, I almost feel like I should send the guy a check for all the free music. I guess I really should have just bought him a beer instead.

NOTABLE TRACKS:
(Disc 1)
#99 - Portions For Foxes - Rilo Kiley
#94 - The Ballad Of El Goodoo - Big Star
#92 - I'm Free Now - Morphine
#86 - Static - Jawbox
(Disc 2)
#73 - Passing Strangers - Ultravox
#70 - Our Sweet Love - The Beach Boys
#66 - Big Take Over - Bad Brains
#61 - Gotta Know Right Now - Smoking Popes
(Disc 3)
#58 - Never Say Never - that dog.
#52 - Tomorrow Night - Shoes
#50 - Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
#44 - Whole Wide World - Wreckless Eric
(Disc 4)
#40 - I'd Run Away - The Jayhawks
#38 - When My Baby's Beside Me - Big Star
#35 - Jumpers - Sleater-Kinney
#26 - Flavor Of The Month - The Posies
(Disc 5)
#16 - Who's Gonna Mow Your Grass? - Buck Owens
#10 - Oblivious - Aztec Camera
#4 - This Whole World - The Beach Boys
#1 - Happiness - The Anita Kerr Singers

Okay kids, the time has finally come to draw the winner of the FREE CDP MIX-TAPE T-SHIRT! Here’s how it’s going to work:

1. I reviewed all 15 Mixes that I received in the mail. Those 15 names are put into a hat, one of which will be drawn at random by yours truly.

2. The name I draw will be contacted by me via e-mail, and asked to pick out any Mix-Tape-themed t-shirt of their choosing from the CDP Webstore.

3. I ship it to their doorstep, as a way of saying thanks for participating in the Trade.

And the winner is....the same person that I was chosen to make a Mix-Tape for, Fiona! Fiona, expect to hear from me shortly, and start looking for a Mix-Tape themed shirt that you dig.

Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day; Digital Detox Week begins tomorrow.

Comments:
100 Most Played Songs Off My iPod? From a music fiend? drool
 
Way to go Fiona!!! The catch is you HAVE to take a picture of you wearing the shirt!

I put Big Star on my mix, too, Smed :)
 
HOSS - No kidding. It's also a cool idea for a possible upcoming Trade.

FIONA - Hathery's right; gotta send a photo back to Headquarters once it gets there.
 
I miss all the peeps that used to comment. Is this the fault of Twitter? :(
 
Bruce, where did your blog go?!?
 
YAY!!!

Thank you so much! I'm freakin' over the moon about winning, it even made me come out hiding!
I have no qualms about taking a picture once I get my shirt, You can even post if you want!
I'll let you know soon which shirt I want!
 
FIONA - Awesome, just respond to my e-mail whenever you get the chance.

HATHERY - I sort of blame Twitter, but my traffic is skyrocketing, so it's not all bad news.
 
Twitter! It's the scourge of mankind! Hey, if you wanna mix: smedindy@gmail.com is the address!
 
So your traffic is increasing while the comments are decreasing. Why does that not make sense?
 
HOSS - Beh-heh-heh.

More people are checking out the CDP, not just because Twitter has introduced it to more people, but my constant Twitter sidebar updates create more of a clicking frenzy than my 'one essay per day' main posts. Therefore, traffic has risen, and I'm happy about that.

However, most of the side conversations are now taking place within the confines of Twitter, which means the comment section small talk is in a current lull. While I think it's not a permanent thing, I've definitely noticed. Hey, as long as I keep people entertained and they keep coming back, everyone's happy.
 
I"m not happy! I like comments :)
 
So what I learned today: Do comment back to theCDP on Twitter instead of just thinking those thoughts.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home