Friday, May 1

Lost Friday - "The Variable."


Season 5 - Episode 14: "The Variable."

Another Lost Friday is upon us; we have much to discuss in a short amount of time.

Well, it feels good to be back in the Wired after a long and uneventful Digital Detox Week. In an effort to fill the void left by my lack of Internet, I watched about a billion hours of television, drank gallons of alcohol on a nightly basis, spent somewhere in the neighborhood of five thousand dollars and walked about 20 total miles in 7 days. I’ll have a detailed essay about it in the upcoming weeks, but the short of it was that it felt good, and I’ll probably do it again very soon.

Oh, and I got the Swine Flu, which sucks for me, but what are you gonna do?

My apologies in advance, but I have to make this week’s Lost Friday as brief and humorless as possible, as schedule conflicts and aforementioned Internet strikes have kept me away from my desk. I’ve been oot and aboot all week, and tonight (Thursday) is no different, giving me less than an hour to hammer this puppy out, wipe the crust out of my eyes and hit the road once more. Then again, you got a super-sized edition the last time around, so look at it as the universe balancing itself out.

You know, as crazy as this is going to sound, this season of Lost makes a lot more sense to me now that I’ve watched ‘The Variable.’ I didn’t think for a second that Mumbly Joe-Faraday would ever do anything that would even remotely straighten out the current plotlines for me, but I’ll be damned. By the end of this week’s episode, things clicked a little more solidly for me, and I actually appreciate it a lot more than I did two weeks ago.

The Eloise/Widmore subplot is significant to say the least, the crumbling of the lives that Sawyer and Juliet made for themselves in 1977 was only a matter of when, not if, and Faraday did his job of explaining as much as possible before he met one of the most interesting and trippy demises in the history of the series (and that’s saying a lot). I’ve got to hand it to that stuttering, stammering bastard; I loved the hell out of this episode. Furthermore, Jeremy Davies’ acting this week was far-and-away the best of the series for him. It’s hard to act that specifically confused.

Still, there were a few issues that stuck in my craw, and they all have to do with the physical impossibility that is Time Travel (never have been a believer, and probably never will). If what Faraday said to Jack was true, that ‘this is our present’ in reference to 1977, how could they prevent a plane crash that already happened? And if it hasn’t already happened, why would it matter that they prevent it, if they are already ‘presently’ dealing with the ramifications of the crash? And Miles living on the same timeline as himself? It sets the precedent that Time Travel is akin to cloning; you’re on the same timeline, but now there’s another one of you? Don’t think about it too long, because it’ll drive you crazy, as it’s illogical, nonsensical and frustrating as all get out.

Furthermore, this all seems to be leading up to the eventual realization that the entire series is one, big Time Loop, which would be more disappointing than words. I’d honestly rather have it all just be a dream in Hurley’s head, to be totally honest with you. Don’t get me wrong, the show is as awesome as ever, but they’ve been treading on an uncomfortable line for a while now.

This week is going to have to be on you, the readers and commenters, so sound off in the comments section and let us know what you think about Season 5 as a whole. There are only two more weeks of episodes left, so start the conversation and enjoy your weekend. The CDP returns at full strength on Monday with more funny stuff.

Season 5 - Episode 1/2 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 4 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 5 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 6 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 7 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 9 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 10 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 11 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 12 Review.
Season 5 - Episode 13 Review.

Comments:
No picture captions ... :(
It was totally Daniel's fault there was a little shooting war. Made me laugh.
I'm glad they showed what happened to Desmond! I needed to know he was okay.
 
I had a feeling that either Daniel or Penny would turn out to be Charles & Ellie's child together. Still, I can't figure out why they'd orchestrate Daniel's whole life so that it would culminate in that one moment. I mean, did they really *know* the outcome? Is it all just a case of infinite time loop - or can anything Jack and crew are going to attempt change the island's past/their present - or they being set up to recreate the same events again and again? It's kind of...confusing.
 
Yeah, I pretty much knew that Faraday had to be Whidmore's kid.

I swear that if this show ends with the plane crashing, I'm gonna start shooting.
 
My guess is that the 6th season will be about how everyone on the show is either Widmore's or Christian's kid. Which will be weird, considering Mr. Eko's lack of resemblance.
 
My guess is that the 6th season will be about how everyone on the show is either Widmore's or Christian's kid. Which will be weird, considering Mr. Eko's lack of resemblance.Well, he was adopted. But they don't like to talk about it because Eko is really sensitive and gets easily upset about the whole thing.
 
I'm pretty sure Mr. Eko comes from the same place that Richard does...a smaller, sexier island somewhere slightly to the west.
 
Maus - was it one of those Madonna-type things? That makes sense.
 
I was a little boggled by Eloise sending Daniel back to the island knowing he would die at her hands. Then it kind of clicked. She probably learned more about him after she killed him and realized he was going to try and change the future. So she had to send him back the island neglecting to tell him about that pesky bullet between the shoulder blades. My guess is that Daniel's death sets off an important chain of events that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home