Monday, August 24

Pitchfork? More like Suckfork!



I'm still working hard on next week's 5th Annual CDP Fall TV Preview, so I come to you today with information in the hopes of starting conversation. Pitchfork recently released their list of what they believe to be the Top 500 Tracks of the 2000's, the Top 50 I have republished here. My question is: What do you think?

50. Basement Jaxx - "Romeo"
49. Sufjan Stevens - "Chicago"
48. Panda Bear - "Bro's"
47. Burial - "Archangel"
46. Robyn [ft. Kleerup] - "With Every Heartbeat"
45. Hot Chip - "Over and Over"
44. Franz Ferdinand - "Take Me Out"
43. UGK [ft. Outkast] - "Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)"
42. Battles - "Atlas"
41. TV on the Radio - "Staring at the Sun"
40. The Avalanches - "Since I Left You"
39. Modest Mouse - "Float On"
38. T.I. - "What You Know"
37. Kylie Minogue - "Can't Get You Out of My Head"
36. Sigur Rós - "Svefn-G-Englar"
35. Animal Collective - "Fireworks"
34. M.I.A. - "Galang"
33. Spoon - "The Way We Get By"
32. Amerie - "1 Thing"
31. Jay-Z [ft. UGK] - "Big Pimpin'"
30. The White Stripes - "Seven Nation Army"
29. Hot Chip - "Boy From School"
28. Antony and the Johnsons - "Hope There's Someone"
27. Clipse - "Grindin'"
26. Justin Timberlake [ft. T.I.] - "My Love"
25. Rihanna [ft. Jay-Z] - "Umbrella"
24. Radiohead - "Everything in Its Right Place"
23. Daft Punk - "Digital Love"
22. LCD Soundsystem - "Someone Great"
21. Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone"
20. The Walkmen - The Rat
19. R. Kelly - Ignition (Remix)
18. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind
17. Annie - Heartbeat
16. The Rapture - House of Jealous Lovers
15. The Knife - Heartbeats
14. Jay-Z - 99 Problems
13. LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
12. OutKast - Hey Ya!
11. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
10. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
9. Animal Collective - My Girls
8. Radiohead - Idioteque
7.Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On
6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
5. Daft Punk - One More Time
4. Beyoncé [ft. Jay-Z] - Crazy in Love
3. M.I.A. [ft. Bun B and Rich Boy] - Paper Planes (Diplo Remix)
2. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
1. OutKast -B.O.B.

Now, you can fully expect to see my own personal list of favorite albums and tracks of the decade as 2009 starts to draw to a close, but I'll give a few secrets away for the time being. When I first started thinking about what the 'Top Track of the Decade' would be, the only thing that even remotely popped into my mind more than once was OutKast's 'Hey Ya!' With that being said, all that normally matters with these countdowns is who comes in at #1, so as long as it was any OutKast track (and a fitting and deserving one at that), I'm a content man. I also appreciated the love for Arcade Fire and Antony & The Johnsons, two defining indie acts of the last 9.5 years.

Sound off in the comments section, voice your opinion and enjoy your day.

Comments:
I'm pretty suprised there's nothing by Trail of Dead. I thought Pitchfork loved those guys?
 
My simple opinion -- the 00's will not be remembered as a great decade for music. Not like the 60's or 70's will be. Maybe because of over-commercialization? maybe the 10's will be better . . .
 
DUFF - I think a couple of their singles made the Top 500, but I'd argue that the reason for this is because Trail Of Dead is more of an album-oriented band. Just a thought, of course.

HOSS - The 00's are certainly the year that singles once again took precedence over albums, for better or for worse.
 
2 Hot Chip songs in the top 50? Really? SERIOUSLY?
 
'Over And Over' I can sort of see, but yeah, I agree with you there.
 
I agree, Hathery. What is this nonsense? I don't trust anyone who makes a list like this and includes "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend To Dance" Black Kids but not "Skeleton Key" Margot & the Nuclear So and So's. This list--like so much Pitchfork does these days--comes off as contrived, exclusive and just not up to expectations.
 
I forgot to say "by" twice.
 
CARGIRL - Pitchfork has no love for Margot, it seems.

'Skeleton Key' has become my Wizard Of Oz in recent months; for some reason, I feel like I get something new out of it every time I listen to it. It's weird, it's not too complex a song, it's just that I feel like it's about something different every time. Either I'm reading into it too deeply, or the idea that 'Skeleton Key' acts as a musical Skeleton Key is just about the deepest thing I've ever heard.

I'll ask them when they come to Madison next month. BOOM! FORWARD MUSIC FEST, BITCHES!
 
'Skeleton Key' is a great song - I have two versions on my iPod right now. I love 'Paper Kitten Nightmare', myself. I don't know half the songs on this freaking list, which makes me feel old, out of touch, and irrelevant. But it also explains why I took Pitchfork off of my Twitter thingamabob months ago, and haven't bought an album in over a year. I'm just going to stand here and shake my walker at this list until the nurse brings me my nightly pills and some Jell-o...
 
Pitchfork is frequently Suckfork, yes, but I found myself smiling for their recent Top Tracks of The 00s posts. A lot of them are incredibly guilty pleasures for which I must admit, I secretly love--even as a proclaimed indie music elitist. But the elitist in me is forced to then criticize their list out of sheer duty to my indie music elitism.
 
I'm honestly just having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the aughts are almost done. Jesus, it's seriously been almost a decade since '00? When did that happen?

Like all things, the list is subjective, as is my take on it. I really dig some of the tracks they picked, dislike others, and completely don't know a few (which is rare for a music slut like me, I must say). Who the hell is Hot Chip?
 
I recognize all of the artists and in most cases I know "about" these songs, but when I went through and tried to hum a bit of each song I could only do 12. I guess that makes me too indie for Pitchfork. Or maybe just bad at remembering things.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home