Thursday, November 19

The CDP's Top 10 Video Games Of The Decade.



"This was a triumph. I'm making a note, here: HUGE SUCCESS."

-
Portal

A child of the 80's, I not only grew up on video games, but I'm also from a generation that video games have always been marketed to. Honestly, there's never been a time in my life when someone wasn't trying to sell me a video game. From the childhood days of the NES, to the teen years with SNES and Sega, to the college years of PS and PS2, to the adult gamer days of the XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii, it seems as if I've always represented the demographic of a video game fan.

And I was, for awhile, at least. In my late teen years, I was too busy with my band to play a lot of games, but now that I'm older, I play almost exclusively 'Family' or 'Party' games. I cannot remember the last time I played a video game by myself; nowadays I only play if I can play with all of my friends, and the following list will probably reflect that somewhat.

Instead of counting down my favorite games of the decade (which would probably consist of at least 10 rhythm-based games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero), I decided to list my favorite game for each year, based on release date. It was as good of a way as any to keep the list as varied as possible. Let's go.



2000 - The Sims (PC)



2001 - Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)



2002 - Kingdom Hearts (PS2)



2003 - Mario Kart: Double Dash! (NGC)



2004 - Doom 3 (PC)



2005 - Resident Evil 4 (NGC)



2006 - Guitar Hero II (PS2)



2007 - Rock Band (PS2)



2008 - MarioKart Wii (Wii)



2009 - Guitar Hero V (Wii)

Thanks much for checking out the CDP Decade In Review today. I'm taking tomorrow off and coming back Monday with the start of the Top 250 Albums Of The Decade(!). Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your weekend.

Comments:
I thought you were actually going to have Portal on the list (you should have), but I guess Rock Band is pretty wonderful as well. Nice selection.
 
True Story: In 2000, my personal computer had a 2GB hard drive; all I could fit on it was Word and The Sims.
 
Portal. The game that I wanted to play but my computer never had the capacity to support. So I played the Flash version like a crazy person.

My son is the king of MarioKart for the Wii. Of course, he also loves to play the original Mario Brothers on the Wii. We don't own any of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band games, much to his disappointment. I told him he could ask for a *real* guitar for Christmas, since he already has a keyboard - he is constantly talking about planning to form a band with his best friend.
 
Speaking of Portal, where's Half-Life 2?????
 
Anyone else play World of Goo? That's a fantastic game. Sorta like Lemmings, only modern. And much cooler.
 
I'm just putting the finishing touches on the massive Top 250 countdown...I really hope you guys dig it.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
The Sims is the only game I have ever officially loved.
 
I'm using my Wii wheel!
 

Post a Comment

<< Home