Tuesday, December 1

The CDP's Top 250 Albums Of The Decade (75-51).



'I'm not sorry I met you, I'm not sorry it's over, I'm not sorry there's nothing to say.'
-Stars, 'Your Ex-Lover Is Dead'

Welcome back to Day Six of The CDP's Top 250 Albums Of The Decade. Things are starting to get real, yo, and I'm doing the whole thing in haiku! Please enjoy.


75. Arctic Monkeys – Favourite Worst Nightmare

There's no 'Sophomore Slump'
When you can write a rock song
Like Arctic Monkeys.

You Must Hear - 'Brianstorm'


74. Scott Reynolds – Adventure Boy

ALL. Bonesaw Romance.
The Pavers. Goodbye Harry.
Scott Reynolds = The Man.

You Must Hear - 'The Boy Who Stole Your Heart'


73. Weezer – Weezer (Green Album)

After Pinkerton,
Weezer left introspection
For Pop royalty.

You Must Hear - 'Island In The Sun'


72. Passion Pit – Manners

Passion Pit's Manners:
Hands down the best dance album
Of two-thousand-nine.

(ONE OF MY TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2009!)

You Must Hear - 'Sleepyhead'


71. The Unicorns – Who Will Cut Our Hair When We’re Gone?

Nick Diamonds? Genuis!
The hooks? Fast and furious!
I don't wanna die!

You Must Hear - 'I Was Born (A Unicorn)'


70. The Beans – Young Love Gone Terribly Wrong

Synth-pop masterpiece.
Out of print and hard to find.
Sort of changed my life.

You Must Hear - 'One More Summer'


69. Asobi Seksu – Citrus

Loud, fuzzy shoegaze
Like My Bloody Valentine
In half-Japanese.

You Must Hear - 'Thursday'


68. Fairweather – If They Move…Kill Them

Hard, catchy emo.
Saves The Day influences.
Broke up way too soon.

You Must Hear - 'If They Move...Kill Them'


67. The Rapture – Echoes

Hey, hey, DFA!
Carry that Dance-Punk banner
Into a New Wave!

You Must Hear - 'House Of Jealous Lovers'


66. Sufjan Stevens – Greetings From Michigan

50 States Project,
Kicking off on a high note.
Best is yet to come.

You Must Hear - 'All Good Naysayers. Speak Up! Or Forever Hold Your Peace!'


65. P.O.S. – Never Better

Hip-Hop and Punk Rock =
Shark riding an elephant.
Just unstoppable.

(ONE OF MY TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2009!)

You Must Hear - 'Drumroll'


64. Feist – Let It Die

And...one, two, three, four
Overrated? That's okay.
Like her anyway!

You Must Hear - 'Mushaboom'


63. Stars – Set Yourself On Fire

What are they feeding
Indie bands in Canada?
They're all amazing!

You Must Hear - 'Your Ex-Lover Is Dead'


62. The Go! Team – Thunder, Lightning Strike

Funk, punk, soul and rap
Mashed together with static
An instant party.

You Must Hear - 'Ladyflash'


61. Army Navy – Army Navy

Came out of nowhere
To create perfect Pop Rock
Like Teenage Fanclub.

You Must Hear - 'Dark As Days'


60. The Thermals – F**kin’ A

Open your eyes and
Stare into mine. A stare like
Yours is hard to find.

You Must Hear - 'A Stare Like Yours'


59. Mew – Frengers

Brilliant Prog-Dreampop
Three geniuses from Denmark
Your new favorite band?

You Must Hear - 'Snow Brigade'


58. LCD Soundsystem – LCD Soundsystem

James Murphy might be
The coolest guy in the world
So dance your ass off.

You Must Hear - 'Daft Punk Is Playing At My House'


57. Ash – Free All Angels

Irish hitmakers
Kick your ass with the power
Of well-crafted rock.

You Must Hear - 'Burn, Baby, Burn'


56. Interpol – Antics

They did it again.
One fantastic, dark album
Deserves another.

You Must Hear - 'Evil'


55. Of Montreal – Satanic Panic In The Attic

This is the album
That shunned Elephant 6 roots
For afro-punk beats.

You Must Hear - 'Vegan In Furs'


54. Antony And The Johnsons – I Am A Bird Now

The first time I heard
Antony's 'Hope There's Someone'
I cried like a fool.

You MUST Hear - 'Hope There's Someone'


53. Ra Ra Riot – The Rhumb Line

Take Arcade Fire
Add a great voice and great hooks
You'd get The Rhumb Line

You Must Hear - 'Ghost Under Rocks'


52. The Avalanches – Since I Left You

Thirty-five-hundred
Samples in Aussie mash-up
Modern masterpiece.

You Must Hear - 'Frontier Psychiatrist'


51. The Hold Steady – Stay Positive

Your small town and mine
I always feel back at home
With The Hold Steady.

(ONE OF MY TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2009!)

You Must Hear - 'Constructive Summer'

Thanks much for reading. The CDP Decade In Review continues tomorrow, as we dig in to #50-31 of The CDP's Top 250 Albums Of The Decade. Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day.

Comments:
Haiku! Good for you.
Most will cringe at my attempt;
Had to play along.


Mew opened for the L.A. NIN shows this past September. At the time, I couldn't appreciate 'em because all I wanted to see was NIN & Gary Numan! Mew hit me later. Whew! Otherwise, I'd have missed some good stuff. Ash = excellent selection
 
The top one hundred
Will be comprised of bands
You've never heard of

Fin.
 
The Hold Steady LP came out in 2008, dude. Unless you never got around to listening to it until 2009. Which, I can see.
 
Oh, and the Unicorns CD was available in the library so when I get back from Omaha (via Fort Collins) I will have it in my ears.
 
SMED - You're right about The Hold Steady, but I'm too lazy to edit it. It was on my 2008 countdown, even; why didn't I remember that?!?

REESE - Yeah, Mew is amazing; they write stuff I couldn't come up with in a thousand years. And Ash has has been awesome for just about forever now.

MOE - You're sure gonna have egg on your face when you see that I put Nickelback at #1.
 
Haikus ROCK!
 
You're getting old. Just like me. It's past my bedtime now. I'm going to be cranky in the morning. Get OFF my lawn already.

I assume the Jonas Brothers will be #1, right? Because they're dreamy! (Last comment written by my soon-to-be 8-year old...)
 

Post a Comment

<< Home