Friday, December 18

The CDP's Top 5 Albums Of 2009.



We've done enough talking about music for the last few weeks, so I'm going to make today's post short and sweet. Here are my choices for the Top 5 Albums Of 2009. I've even included links so you could sample a single off of each album.

Enjoy.


#5. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

You Must Hear - '1901'
(An instant lock for any 2009 Top 5 list.)


#4. Mew - No More Stories Are Told Today...

You Must Hear - 'Beach'
(The most genius band on Earth right now.)


#3. Passion Pit - Manners

You Must Hear - 'Little Secrets'
(Dense, rich, layered production, magnificent melodies and a ass-shaking good time.)


#2. fun. - Aim And Ignite

You Must Hear - 'All The Pretty Girls'
(The greatest E.L.O. ripoff of all-time, and the feel-good album of the forever.)


#1. P.O.S. - Never Better

You Must Hear - 'Purexed'
(Back and better than ever. One of my favorite hip-hop albums, and an amazing guy.)

...And now, a quick look back at previous CDP Album Of The Year winners:

2003 Winner: The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
2003 Runner-Up: The Postal Service - Give Up

2004 Winner: Arcade Fire - Funeral
2004 Runner-Up: Communique' - Poison Arrows

2005 Winner: Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins
2005 Runner-Up: Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!

2006 Winner: The Velvet Teen - Cum Laude!
2006 Runner-Up: P.O.S. - Audition

2007 Winner: Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
2007 Runner-Up: POLYSICS - Karate House

2008 Winner: Girl Talk - Feed The Animals
2008 Runner-Up:
Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line

Thanks much for reading. Sound off in the comments section, tell us your choice for Album Of The Year and enjoy your weekend. We return on Monday with The State Of The CDP Speech, a HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, and the final post of the decade. Have a good one.

Comments:
POS is my boyfriend.
 
My top 2009 album? Derek Webb's "Stockholm Syndrome". Though I don't buy (or even download) much music as I used. Webb left acoustic folk and went to electronica/hip-hop while not changing what he sings about. And he pulls it off. Must hear: "Jena & Jimmy". Expect it on an upcoming CDP Mix.
 
That Derek Webb has a mighty lovely voice.
 
You better be doing another mix trade, bucko. I'm not repairing my CD burner for nothin'!
 
SMEDLEY - Not until Spring!
 
I ended up with Lucero's 1372 Overton Park as my no-doubt-about-it #1, but I had a real hard time figuring out the remainder. After much vacillation, I ended up with: The Thermals Now We Can See, Bomb the Music Industry! Scrambles, Yesterday's Ring Diamonds in the Ditch, and Flatbear Flying Days, in descending order from 5 to 2.

I thought that 2009 was a somewhat weak year in terms of new albums, but after making my list I realize I just wasn't paying enough attention to what I'd bought.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home