Thursday, January 7

Thank You For Letting Us Be A Part Of Your Weekend.



I guess I've been a little out of the loop lately, because I only found out today that George Michael, famous broadcaster best known for The George Michael Sports Machine, passed away on Christmas Eve.

As a kid that grew up in the 80's and 90's without cable television, The George Michael Sports Machine was my SportsCenter. The rapid-fire delivery of former DJ George Michael made every clip and highlight feel like a magnificent event, even if it was merely a water-skiing squirrel. What I especially liked as a kid was the futuristic set (at the time), and the way George would press that giant button that 'fired up' the Sports Machine, careening the show into action.

I still have an old VHS tape of his 1991 'Plays Of The Year' episode, where he broke into fits of laughter approximately 10 seconds into a nine-minute highlight package, never to fully recover. To this day, it's probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television.

Also, on a personal note, I didn't share too many bonding moments with my old man as a kid, but the memories of being allowed to stay up late to watch Sports Machine with him every now and again is something that always makes me feel happy. Hell, it's probably why I'm such a big sports fan to this day.



Anyway, this may not resonate with a ton of people, but it's a bummer to lose George Michael, as he really did have a positive and nostalgic effect on my life. And for those of you who want to take a quick trip down Memory Lane, or at least want to know what in the hell I'm talking about, here's a brief clip from the early 90's:



Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day. At 10am on Friday, I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled, so keep an eye on the CDP and my Twitter account for play-by-play coverage.

Comments:
I was fortunate to have ESPN since the early 80's, so I never really had an occasion to watch Mr. Michael, but seeing the clips I did miss something. I was always just parked on ESPN watching Australian Rules Football.
 
I have never heard of this particular George Michael.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home