Monday, March 1

The CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade #7.



It's back!

After six previous Trades and nearly 150 different Mix-Tapes created by nearly 100 different people, the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade is making it's triumphant return just in time for Spring.

For those of you who are new to the Trade, or for the alumni in need of a reminder, the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade is a chance for CDP readers from all over the globe to not only create a Mix-Tape for each other, but to receive one as well. It breaks down like this:

1. If you want to be involved with the Trade, you can easily sign up by leaving me a comment or sending an e-mail to communistdance@yahoo.com. Be sure to leave me a name and an e-mail address. The deadline to sign up is Saturday, March 13 at 11pm Central Time, so don't procrastinate, or you'll miss out! In previous Trades, the sign-up period was only one week instead of two, so hopefully we'll get a larger and varied group this time around.

2. On Monday, March 15, I will draw and post a random partnering of everyone that signed up for the Trade, so not only will you see who you'll be creating a Mix for, but also can see who will be creating one for you. This is the fun part. You will then get to work on creating a Mix-Tape (on CD, most likely) that follows the set theme of this particular Trade (see below for theme). In tune, someone will start making one for you. I function as the middleman concerning all communications, such as sorting out mailing addresses and the like. Don't be afraid to get a hold of me as the Trade rolls along if you have any questions.

3. When you're done creating your (no doubt, fantastic) Mix, you'll mail it off to the person that was drawn for you, and in tune, you'll receive a Mix in the mail from whomever drew your name. You'll have two weeks; the deadline to mail out your Mix will be Monday, March 29. If you think for any reason that you may go deadbeat, don't bother signing up. I mean that.

Simple as that. Sign up, make a Mix, mail it out, and you'll get one back. This is one of the more fun and reader-collaborated things that we do here on the CDP, and it's always a blast and a chance for people to come out of their lurker shells and join the vocal masses. The artwork, musical depth and participation never cease to amaze me.

Your theme for the CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade #7 is...

'Your New Favorite Band.'

Easy, tiger; let me explain. The theme of your Mix will be anything you want, provided that it spotlights one single band, artist or songwriter. That's it. In a world where we've created hundreds of Mixes with thousands of songs, this is your chance to be as creative as possible within a scope that's as limited as the body of work you choose to spotlight.

You may feel that this is a disappointment. Too easy. Here's where it gets interesting.

Any Mix-Tapes sent my way will be entered for a chance to win a Free CDP T-Shirt of your choice. I will select the winner based on creativity of Mix, depth of catalog, and whether or not I'm comfortably familiar with the band or artist being showcased (the goal being that I'm NOT familiar). From the entries, I will proclaim a 'New Favorite Band' and reward the Mix creator thusly. Again, we're all essentially looking for a Greatest Hits collection from a band, artist or songwriter that we've never heard of before.

This is where it gets interesting. Sure, you could select some completely obscure artist, but their catalog might be too minuscule for a truly creative Mix. You could select someone with a deep body of work, but that artist risks being too popular to adequately satisfy what we're looking for with this particular Mix. The perfect balance of talent, depth and obscurity is ideal, and will probably leave you standing in front of your CD collection for hours, wondering what your best musical secret might be (and how many people may already know it).

Let's make the seventh CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade the biggest one ever. Sign up via comments or e-mail, remember to leave a name and e-mail address, and make sure that you do it by Saturday, March 13!

Thanks much. Sound off in the comments section, start brainstorming what your 'New Favorite Band' Mix will look like, and enjoy your day.

Comments:
This made my brain explode. After I cleaned the chunks off the keyboard, I decided I'm in. God help me, this, instead of homework, is what I will be doing for the next month.
 
As much as I was looking forward to this one, I might have to miss out on it. The computer with my iTunes has a virus and hopefully my music library got backed up. I'm getting a new computer soon so I may still have a chance.
 
Oooh not the twist I had in mind. This should be interesting.
 
i'm in. Sent an email too so you got the address, then realized I didn't sign my last name *facepalm* figure you know it now ~_^
 
FIONA, TJ, ANDREA...You're in! Thanks much!

Mike - No problem, man; just keep me posted!
 
So many questions.

1. Is one or two stray cuts on a mix 'familiarity'?
2. Is 'familiarity' knowing the radio hits, or knowing the deep catalog?
3. I take it that cover versions of songs written by the artist are copacetic?
 
I accept your challenge
 
Hope you like this new artist I discovered on the back shelves of the internet. By the end of this trade Lady GaGa will be known across the nation!
 
SMED, BLU...You're in! Thank you!

Smed, to answer your questions, don't worry if there's a song or two (or three) that is universally known. By and large, singles and radio hits aren't indicative of an artist's full catalog, so myself nor your Trade partner should care.

I'd like to keep the Mix focused primarily on songs recorded by the artist or band, but if we're spotlighting a songwriter (Leonard Cohen, for example), cover versions are probably unavoidable.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
 
BLU - I am not familiar with his catalog. Guffawguffawguffaw
 
I'm in like Flynn.

This seemed real easy at first glance. However, a 30-second scroll through iTunes has disproved my initial assessment.
 
Wallrock, you're in!

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to say! It's plenty of a challenge.
 
i'm in. i'm pretty excited.
 
UK JOHN...You're in! Thanks much, man!
 
Unfortunately...those who draw me won't get the mega-CD bonanza. One, maybe two, from the artist I choose. I have about 3-5 in my head.

Artists that I am NOT considering:

Napalm Death
Hootie & The Blowfish
Jack Johnson
WASP
Phish
GWAR
Nelly
Foreigner
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
 
SMED - This is probably a good thing, as I already celebrate these bands' entire catalog.
 
In!
 
REESE...you're in! Thank you!
 
Me, too, please.
 
Hilbelink, you're in! Thank you!

One day into the signup, and we've already got 18 people! We still have almost two weeks before we draw names, so tell you friends and get on board; let's make this the biggest CDP Worldwide Mix-Tape Trade yet!
 
Dude -- you're killing me! But I' in . . .
 
I'm in!!!
 
I'm gonna go ahead and sign up. Even if I can't salvage my iTunes library, I have 3 of their CD's anyway that I can import.
 
CAITLIN, MIKE...you're in! Thanks so much!
 
Count me in!
 
HEATHER, you're in! Fantastic; thank you!
 
For the record: I've already changed my artist once. And it may happen again, although that would require me buying some more music.
 
@MikeHoss ~ *changed* your artist?! I haven't even decided. Better get on the ball...
 
I started with 5 possible choices, and narrowed it down to 2, both of which will go to whomever I draw.
 
Oh good lord you know I'm in for this. Also super psyched, this sounds like a great challenge. Ryan, you will be getting a copy of my mix, of course, but I have a somewhat nefarious plan to send you a second mix that, while falling into the theme, will be too much of a vain joke for me to send to my regular mix tape partner. ;)
 
EMILY, you're in! Thanks!

Also, if you're looking for any way, shape or form to send me a bunch of your own tunes, I absolutely cannot wait. :)
 
Ummm... new at this but is there a limit to length or other criteria or is that going to be devulged later?
 
No limit; I've seen anywhere from 1 to 8 discs. Just stick to the 'One Artist, Band or Songwriter' theme and make it pretty!
 
Count me in.
 
YOU'RE IN!!!
 

Post a Comment

<< Home