Monday, September 20

The CDP's Top 50 3rd Wave Ska Albums (50-41).

Photobucket

This is the last week of Summer, and one of my fondest memories of the season had to be the Summer of 1998. I had just gotten my Drivers License, bought a 1986 Buick Somerset, and spent the next three months tooling around my neighborhood listening to what are still some of my favorite albums of all-time.

The Summer of 1998 was also the Summer of Third-Wave ska (as were the two prior to it, if you were like me and my friends), so I wanted to wind out the 2010 Summer season in style by counting down my 50 Favorite Third-Wave Ska Albums Of All-Time. So dig out your newsie hat, suspenders, checkerboard sunglasses and Doc Martens, and get recent-nostalgic with me. Let's go.

Photobucket
50. Something To Do – I Command You To Dance (2007)

I used the cover of their newest album, as the other one was way too pixelated, and I was at the above show (Skappleton 2010, way in the back).

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
49. 5 O’Clock Charlie – Not Enough Time (1999)

This Wisconsin band was one of the first local ska-punk acts I had ever seen, and I vowed to play a show with them some day. One year later, it happened and I rejoiced.

Photobucket
48. (tie) Blue Meanies – Kiss Your Ass Goodbye (1995)

Photobucket
48. (tie) Blue Meanies - Full Throttle (1997)

Another band I played a show with, the Meanies only know one speed: Murder. Ultra-talented and genre-influential.

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
47. The Chinkees – The Chinkees…Are Coming! (1998)

If you know 3rd Wave Ska, you know about Mike Park and Asian Man Records. His anti-racist, anti-homophobia, pro-unity manifest is essentially the basis of what Ska is all about.

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
46. Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Let’s Face It (1997)

For being one of the most popular 3rd Wave albums of the era, Let's Face It was actually pretty good, too.

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
45. First Grade Crush – It’s Not You, It’s Me (1998)

Chicago represent. Jump Up! Records released some great stuff in their day, and this album had constant rotation in my Buick.

Photobucket
44. The Hippos – Forget The World (1998)

One of the most all-around awesome bands of the day, this debut from The Hippos caused everyone else to step up their game when it came to mixing talented instrumentation and solid pop songwriting.

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
43. Pilfers - Chawalaleng (1999)

One of the best live frontmen I've ever seen live, Coolie Ranx and the Pilfers disappeared way too soon.

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
42. My Superhero – Station One (1999)

If Station One hadn't existed, I probably wouldn't be married right now (that's supposed to be a bad thing, by the way).

Give Them A Listen!

Photobucket
41. The Toasters - Hard Band For Dead (1996)

The band that pretty much started the 3rd Wave, and another band that I had the fortune of playing a show with in 2000.

Give Them A Listen!

More countdown tomorrow; come on back.

Comments:
One of Smed's Rules:

All of those who loved one of the waves of ska, will think the next ska-revival wave sucks.

You kids need to listen to each and every Specials song for 24 hours straight, and then get back to me.

Also, my lawn, evacuate yerself!

:-P
 
I can't believe you don't think I'm familiar with the Two-Tone era.
 
Oh, I know YOU are familiar dude! I'm talking about the sheeple who worship your every word!

And I was playing the character of old, crusty hipster crossed with disgruntled electorate person.

But the rule stands - the young generation can love and respect the old ska waves, whilst the oldsters think it's all been done before.

Who's right?

Ask me at the next Ska revival....
 
I think the next ska revival will have accordion. Lots and lots of accordion.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home