Tuesday, May 31

TV Month 2016 - The Sign Off.

 photo TVMonthChannel22_zpsc9okquv5.jpg

TV Month 2016 is over. So, what have we learned?

I learned that while I appreciate this current Golden Era of Television that we inhabit, I'd still love TV regardless, simply because it exists. For the most part, the content is secondary to the experience, which sounds weird and might have even gotten weirder as I tried to explain it over the past month.

I loved that it was there when I couldn't sleep. I loved finding things in the vast reaches of space that I had never seen before. I loved that there was a channel that only satellite pirates could see. I love the local programming that I thought was being produced in my basement. I loved sitting back for an entire block of shows catered just to me as a child.

I even loved the Infomercials, psychics and hucksters that sold snake oil at 3am. I loved scrambled premium channels and trivia ads. I love the underrated pop culture worth of commercials. I love that a crazy person hacked into WGN, and an even crazier person created a video to be shown only when the end of the world was confirmed. I loved (and still love) anything that scares the living shit out of me.

With the rise of on-demand, streaming, computer/tablet viewing and flat-out piracy, people are getting rid of not just cable and satellite TV, but the physical invention of TV in general. It stands to reason that, in 20-30 years, the 'TV show' might still be as popular as ever, but the TV itself will be the product of a bygone era. The Television may die, while 'TV' continues to live. Weird, right?

I know for sure that TV will never exist again in the way that I grew up with it, and that's fine. Even in 2016, the C-Band satellite is an obscure piece of technology only mentioned with the same sort of cult-like interest that one might have for a Ham Radio. Soon, that nostalgia will be replaced with the mini-dish, then Blu-Ray, then even streaming TV in favor of...whatever else is next in line, I guess.

No matter what, I'll be watching.



Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day; links to all of TV Month 2016 are below:

Channel 0 - The Series Primer
Channel 1 - The Series Premiere
Channel 2 - The Big Ugly Dish
Channel 3 - The Premium
Channel 4 - The UHF Dial
Channel 5 - The Programming Block
Channel 6 - The Skeptic
Channel 7 - The Obscurity
Channel 8 - The Commercials
Channel 9 - The Doomsday
Channel 10 - The Unsolved
Channel 11 - The 100 Greatest (100-76)
Channel 12 - The 100 Greatest (75-51)
Channel 13 - The 100 Greatest (50-31)
Channel 14 - The 100 Greatest (30-11)
Channel 15 - The 100 Greatest (10-1)
Channel 16 - The Nuclear Nielsen Family (Part 1)
Channel 17 - The Nuclear Nielsen Family (Part 2)
Channel 18 - The Nuclear Nielsen Family (Part 3)
Channel 19 - The Nuclear Nielsen Family (Part 4)
Channel 20 - The Nuclear Nielsen Family (Part 5)
Channel 21 - The Series Finale
Channel 22 - The Sign Off

(The CDP will return on Monday, June 20.)

Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home